Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Haul Rd hunt

Question Spring Haul Rd hunt

Anyone hunted the haul road in the spring? I think the season cutoff is around the end of April so I imagine there would still be lots of snow. Where are the caribou at that time of the year? Will they primarily be south of the pass? Did a forum search and couldn't find much about spring hunting up there. Any help appreciated as I missed out on the fall hunt and hoping to get a meat hunt in before the end of the season.

Thanks,

Steve

Not really knowing anything about this, but I'll be following this thread with interest as I've been wondering about this myself....

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I went up at the tail end of the season this year. I've only been bou hunting 2 times in my life, so I'm not much help in comparing hunts but while we were there the temps were warm, 10-30 F, and windy as hell. On the way in the snow was nice and crusty, but on our way out the temps got too warm and it was like walking through knee-deep tar. We only found animals north of the pass.

Default Spring Haul Rd

If you time it right you will catch the caribou coming out of Anatuvak Pass and into the northern side of Atigun Pass. Lots of caribou, hardly any hunters, and with the right gear and tent and heat it is very enjoyable. Expect just a meat hunt because most males will either have no racks or half a rack...few with full racks. Then again it is any sex at that time of the year so you can go for females too. Also don't expect to be able to find very many places to pull off. The only places will be the pipeline access. I will most likely go up this year. If anyone is serious about going up having a partner would be welcome.
    Also make sure when you set up camp to make sure you leave your bow outside and re-sight it in the cold. Make sure your bow is acclimated when you start to hunt too...because if it goes from warm to cold believe me your sights will be off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am also interested in this hunt. Starting a new job in a few weeks so some 3 day and 4 day trips might be in order. Sure would be nice to not be eatin fish all the time .

I am curious polaris when you went up month wise? I know the migrations change in a matter of hours. Other then spring grizzlies I've never bothered caribou hunting up that way in the spring either. I know we've seen quite a few up by pump two during grizzly seasons in years past though.

I am very interested in doing this hunt with someone that has done it before. I have an arctic oven/wood stove we could use. I just want to go with someone with some experience bowhunting bou up there. Pm me if your interested.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I am extremely interested in doing this hunt just like everybody else. If there are enough people game then maybe get a group together and go up?
    Diamond Marquis

3 of us went up in mid april ? 10 years ago, -20 and blizzard first night ended up sleeping in cab of truck all 4 nights. saw alot of Ptarmigan ( my guess on one flock was 5000 birds, rest were 10-20 /flock) we got one small cow. did noit see alot of 'bou, fun hunt. I was thinking season was open until end of May. no reg book close by. later you might have better chance for a bear.
    think we had 17-18 hours of daylight if i remember right.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default april

I went up in april was chilly snow was melting by the road and the bou were everywhere, nice hunt, seen a bunch in may also while hunting grizzly

I'd be interested in this. Sounds like fun.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Thumbs up can I go too...

Just pick me up here in Fairbanks on your way..lol...I'll be ready.

I have a Caribou decoy ,New Bow and lots of arrows I can share ..Can I go
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Heck ya, lets do it Rog!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    If you time it right you will catch the caribou coming out of Anatuvak Pass and into the northern side of Atigun Pass. Lots of caribou, hardly any hunters, and with the right gear and tent and heat it is very enjoyable. Expect just a meat hunt because most males will either have no racks or half a rack...few with full racks. Then again it is any sex at that time of the year so you can go for females too. Also don't expect to be able to find very many places to pull off. The only places will be the pipeline access. I will most likely go up this year. If anyone is serious about going up having a partner would be welcome.
    Also make sure when you set up camp to make sure you leave your bow outside and re-sight it in the cold. Make sure your bow is acclimated when you start to hunt too...because if it goes from warm to cold believe me your sights will be off.

racks in april....

caribou pregnant cows will carry the rack.. unbred ones and bulls will be starting to grow new ones...

a pregnant cow will shed her rack and start over after the calf is born...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I tried 4 or 5 times from 2000-2008 in March and April. March is way too cold. I got one mid-April a few years ago near Toolik. It had warbles the size of your little finger chewing their way out of his hide and there were handfuls of maggot size grubs lining his nose and throat, all getting ready to hatch. The hair came out by the handful, making skinning very messy and got hair all over the meat. You can see they are all starting to shed in April, so that is the norm. The other years we'd see a few, but had a hard time getting close as they were spooked from wolves in the area. Never saw any south of the pass in March or April.

I think the best time for Haul Rd caribou is early Sep. July and August too warm for meat handling, Oct brings rut and stinky meat.

Good luck

Default been there done that..

I did that about 5 years ago, as I did not score on the fall hunt up there, so I waited for the spring to close out the season, and I went up I think the next to last weekend. Any road conditions where awesome all the way to the bottom of Atigun Pass when we hit a white out from hell with, almost turned around.Barely made it over to bright as heck sunshine and a balmy 21 below.

Found Caribou pretty much everywhere.Also found out they where very skittish.Afterabout two hours decided to head back to Fairbanks,along the way found a lone calf hoofin it to the road and we bailed off in a low spot and he walked right up to me. Perfect animal for me because I was looking for a small young one.

Also we took time out to shot a few of the thousands and thousands upon thousands of Ptarmigan we saw.

Then I spent two hours in the snow face down crawling to get this picture.

And another 30 minutes crawling some more, and my bud took this one of me.

Just take a look at my photo albums, I have a couple of great pictures of the Sheep in there from that day.
    Anyhow If you have any question pm and Ill get you my number, because I might be able to give you more insight on how it went.It will help you. Daniel

im looking at going from late august to early september is 4x4 needed right now im lookin at takeing my 2 wheel drive pickup but need to make diffrent plans if i need 4x4

I have made the trip twice in mid October in my 4x2 pickup. Brought snow chains but never had to use them. I had enough weight in back that I never had an issue on the ice. I also picked my parking spots and turn around points carefully.

Sapper 2-6

Default Spring time hunt anyone have information?

Will be going up in early april, was hoping someone will have a few "reports" ...prior to my suffering

Looks like a lot of folks have the same idea. Planning on going up in April as long as everything goes well with my Bow certification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast