Thread: Best Down Parka

Question Best Down Parka

I know I went through this same search last fall, winter, and spring, but I have to make a move on this item soon!

Any insight on the best down parka I can get? Brand? Model? Amount fill? Etc. I should know?

Looking to stay warm while inactive at sub-zero temperatures for many hours at a time. Would like to stay under $350 if at all possible, but will entertain all information.

Thanks!

Cabela's gore-tex down, windstopper fleece jacket, combo can't be beat.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Have a look at the "Snow Mantra" by Snow Goose. The "Resolute" is very warm as well.

If you hunt around hard enough you'll find one in your price range. They come up around here once in awhile. Pm ,e if you're interested and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

tm

I own a set of Eagle Loft, parka and bibs. It better be below 0 or you will overheat. Not sure you can get the set for under $350 though. Not sure they are still available either.

Check out Feathered Friends stuff. Good quality.
    http://www.featheredfriends.com/

Default usage

what will be the primary usage? What teprature comfort range are you looking for? How heavy would you like it?

Any particular reason that layers will not work?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Sometimes I like down for that deep, dry cold, particularly after I've been hiking for a while and stop to glass, rest or whatnot and start to cool down.

I've got a few decent ones- a Columbia, a Woolrich and a Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket.

The Mountain Hardwear is insanely warm for how little it weighs- even comes with a stuff stack like a sleeping bag. I carry it on the sled for times when I stop moving for a bit or for use in an emergency like getting wet. The outer shell seems pretty fragile for using in brush to me but its worth looking at. At -20F I'll walk the dog with a t-shirt underneath in it and feel toasty.

The Columbia and Woolrich are much heavier general use parkas but I don't use them much unless its -30F or so. If I'm hiking or working outside I just use layers so I can regulate my temperature better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Any particular reason that layers will not work?
    I don't know about this particular case but I cannot possibly be the only guy that hates having to layer up all the time. I think every Alaskan should have one insanly warm even if not "attractive" jacket. I love layering up for hiking and any other activity that requires some level of physical exertion. However there are a million different low impact things that I would love to be able to do comfortably by just tossing on one big WARM jacket!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think every Alaskan should have one insanly warm even if not &quot;attractive&quot; jacket.
    There is always the skin the goose project
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have a mountain hardware sub-zero and it is probably one of the best investments i have ever made. I carry it in the top of my pack when I am on the move in cold weather. Soon as I stop for an extended amount of time I throw it on and am warm no matter what. I love the full down hood. I wear it while sleeping sometimes to supplement my sleeping bag on extra cold nights. It even has nifty little interior pockets that you can throw batteries, fuel canisters, etc. in to keep them warm. I think it cost me less than 250 when I bought it. My buddy has an absolute zero parka. That thing is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I I think every Alaskan should have one insanly warm even if not "attractive" jacket.
    Quote from the wife-" Does this down parka make me look fat?"

How the heck are supposed you respond to that?

I love you no matter what honey.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Quote from the wife-" Does this down parka make me look fat?"

How the heck are supposed you respond to that?
    There is no reason to lie on that one just say "No baby, it makes you look HOT!!"

MARV, I hope that works for you cause it would get me in the dog house fast!

Default Go in layers

I have found that over the years, the layer system is best. I have trapped for a long time and being out at -60 in layers sure works best. If you have to exert yourself, your one -100 jacket is going to make you sweat, but if you can take something off to let some heat out and then put it back on, you will be much better off. Right now I wear a t-shirt, fleece pull over, my Cabelas wind-shear jacket and if I need more, I carry my carhart extreme coat. Used this set up at -40 already this year and stayed plenty warm. I have a very nice Cabelas down parka and have used it at -50 and -60, but when you have to walk a little ways, etc. you will start to sweat. JMO