Thread: PT.Mackenzie-Flathorn

Default PT.Mackenzie-Flathorn

Anybody been out that way yet? Can you go down gas line without getting a ticket?

Default Susitna Game Flats

Howdy Susitna, I haven't been out the gasline yet. But I was wondering - have you heard of folks getting ticketed for being ON the main trails out there (gasline, Flathorn or Figure Eight trails) when snow cover is sparse?

My understanding is that the 12 inches of snow rule applies for off-trail riding only, not the main trails. As you know, there is rarely ever 12 inches of snow on the gasline trail. Especially out in the flats by the Figure 8 cut-off, it's usually mashed down to nothing or blown off to an inch or two on top of ice.

Secondly - people had long established a public use right of ways across the Game Flats area before the 12 inches of snow rule was concocted by the gub'mint pencil pushers. Old time homesteaders at Flathorn and Alexander long have traveled these routes. So the authorities have no right limiting access along these trails. Of course authorities have the right to disagree. But isn't that why we pack heat under our parkas?

Oh I agree, We used it long before the REfuge.But try explain that to the PooPoo All he have to do is sit there and wait til show up to your truck.Been couple Yr,s since i heard of any, But doesn,t hurt to ask to see if there at it again, They also make you pay at the old school parking lot, That they didn,t even plow out! These light snow yr,s if they make and issue out of it. we just run upriver aways and take the North trail west that go,s around the refuge.A friend mine on flathorn emailed me said everything frozen, little or no snow, Got little soft with the warm spell.

Comeing home from the slope this week thinking of going out to flat horn
    just thinking of the ice on the little sue? if its good to cross

http://ww1.matsugov.us/CommunityDeve...219&Itemid=258 That,s most i could find was the Ayshire Road Winter, one? If you Look on the map page Listed as Flathorn /Susitna Trail, Couldn,t find much more?

Stay on the gasline, figure 8 trail or flathorn trail and you are OK, as that is what the permit is for. There have been a few guys going out the gasline to get their moose, so they have been getting across the Su OK. The only bad spot I have heard of, is on Fish Creek, gotta water skip it and then go back and fly the meat out instead of dragging a sled.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default UpDate

Just got in, Everything is frozen and very little snow, Doable but, Very Ruff riding.Already down to the dirt in some places. Did see some crossing the Big Su. Few wheelers were running to Flathorn after some pike. Seen some nice ones laying on the ice.