Thread: reloading auto loaders

Default reloading auto loaders

so i have been reloading my 300 wsm 270, bolt guns for a couple years i picked up my first auto loader this weekend remington 742 in 6 mm i was wondering if there is any thing diffrent or things i should watch out for while reloading for this

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've had no actual experience with handloading for auto-loaders, but just here-say, that you may already be aware of.

Function is the main issue.

That you should use moderate loads because of action strength.

Always FL resize.

Sometimes, small-base dies are needed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Watch for case head separations.
    Pushing the shoulder back each time to insure feeding limits case life.
    Not pushing the shoulder back could lead to out of battery cartridge ignitions on some rifles, particularly those with floating firing pins. Hard on shooter, gun, people next to you...

For instance, when loading for the m14/m1a, limiting brass use to three firings is recommened toprevent case head separations, firing out of battery, etc.

Default SB sizing dies

Small base sizing dies or even ultra small base sizing dies may be need with a Remington autoloader esp. so if the brass has been fired in another gun.

If you are buying small base or ultra small base dies buy the largest caliber dies for the parent cartridge and you can use it to reduce the bases on all the cartridges of that family. For instance for a .243 Win get a .308 or .358 Win die and you can use it to size the base of the cases all the way down to a .243 Win. This will require a pass through the small base die first and finishing up on the correct die but it can save you some money on a caliber you don't shoot at lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've had no actual experience with handloading for auto-loaders, but just here-say, that you may already be aware of.

Function is the main issue.

That you should use moderate loads because of action strength.

Always FL resize.

Sometimes, small-base dies are needed.

Smitty of the North
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

tvfinak:

Well, Alrighty.

I'll just remember that in case I ever hafta load for an Automatic Rifle.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.