Thread: .204 Ruger

Default .204 Ruger

I think this might be the one caliber I haven't seen being discussed in recent times. I did search but came up empty handed.

Who's sporting one? Build config? Single shot, bolt fed, AR?

Do you load?

What are you using it for?

Why did you choose the .204 given the amount of close comparable calibers on the market?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What are you using it for?

i too am looking for one...

here's a couple of examples of one use for it.....

and here

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

The 204 is a very neat round in it's own right. A high velocity cartridge that throws an explosive small grain pill.

I'm partial to the 223 Rem. It's more versatile and fur friendly if you plan to call with the rifle. You can load a 223 with fur friendly FMJ's or 36 grain varmint grenades at 3600 fps that should tear a ground squirrel a new and very large ahole. Or 60 grain Partitions at 3000fps for caribou. Factory ammo is much more common and more applicable to whatever you desire to hunt.

I own two rifles in 223 and I'm very happy with both.

Another really cool high velocity cartridge is the 223 WSSM.

I don't own one, but I've probably put 1000 or so rounds through three of them that belong to friends down in prairie dog country. Two were customs based on 40XB actions and the third was a stock Ruger bolt. All shot well, but all suffered from one mallady: Wind. They didn't fare nearly so well in wind as my 22-250 or my 220 Swift. We tend to use 223's for anything inside 300 yards and the larger cases for really reaching out. I whacked one coyote with it at about 375 and pelt damage wasn't bad, though velocities had dropped a lot. Inside 300 yards I'd rather use a 223 for fur.

I'll be keeping my 223 and my 22-250, but when the barrel finally goes on the 220 in the next year or two, I'll likely replace it with a custom 204. Depends on the availability of more bullets appearing in the next couple of years, but I have no plans to replace the Swift, so the issue is open right now.

I had a 204 in the Stainless fluted Remington Light Varminter. It was a tack driver with factory Hornady ammo but in my findings I found it a little light for coyotes. I have shot most of my coyotes over 30 years with a 243 and am used to them rolling up in a pile when hit. However I had three coyotes in one weekend that when hit with the 204 either went down and got back up or never left their feet. The one I remember best was 300 yards out going dead straight away the bullet hit him right where his tail hooks on and only made the fur fly. We caught up with that one a couple miles later and killed him. Upon examination my 204 round gave him a flesh wound that would've made making scat piles a painful experience for awhile but wasn't near enough to finish him.

Using it for a call gun might be a different situation but the way we hunt them it isn't enough!

Almost set for reloading and starting to gather more product. I've shot a few 204's recently and very impressed. 300yd tack driver, sub moa-1/2 in best group. Very intriguing cartridge-considerably just a light end 223 allowing lighter weight VLD rounds aboe 4000fps.

I'm sketchig out another AR build and seriously considering a flat top heavy barreled 204 as my first upper, 223 later of course.

T- you considering a single shot? Bolt gun or?

Ill have all the lower gear on order shortly as well as generic upper parts. Still unsure of the upper. I'm building for play, small game long range headshots and going the distance which is very do able.

I've seen Lower receivers specific to the 204? Anyone want to comment on that? I'm looking at a multiple cal lower to swap to 223.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default More ?'s

Without scattering into seperate threads I figured I'd pose it here.

Those of you that are big into the AR....what sort of things would you do differently if you were building 1 single lower to accommodate multiple uppers? i.e. would you put certain parts in? certain lower receiver? etc?

I will say I'm fairly familiar with, but not extremely knowledgeable in the AR field. but I have wanted to build one for some time now and there are a few calibers that I want to build for, much more feasible to have multiple uppers. 204 Ruger, 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM and 6.5 Grendel and a few I'm looking at doing over the next year.

All non-tactical builds, full length, clean furniture.

Next question...single scope for multiple calibers... Do any of you have any accuracy issues when taking a "throw lever" mount from one receiver and mounting on another?

Would you recommend staying with the same company for all receivers to keep consistency?