Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Haul road in sept

  1. #1

    Default Haul road in sept

    A little late but just now had the time to get the pics and stuff uploaded we headed to the haul road with 5 horses and went out of the 5 miles and did some rifle hunting we got 5 boo and was a great trip. spent the first few days doing the bow thing but could not get a ideal shot so i did not take one with the bow but had lots of really good stalking that were worth the trip alone will post more pics as i get them resized. This was the first time with the horses up there and they did great no issues with tundra they have been on way harder hunts in the past years
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    Congrads!! Horses huh? Giving me new ideas for next year..

  3. #3

    Default a few more pics

    a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Default

    a few more one thing is that your horses have got to be good at traveling for this trip not to do them in before you even start. they horese have put on around 10k miles in the trailer since May
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Member AkGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    324

    Default Transporter license

    gotta love horses!!! You should go out and get a transporter license.. you could make some money up there over the short season!! looks like it was a great hunt, thanks for sharing...

    Greg

  6. #6
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Thumbs up ..in the water...

    I'm no horseman, but in a prior lifetime down in Utah and Wyoming I participated and conducted a couple of guided hunts that became rodeos. The horses we used did not like water. So...

    ...I was really impressed with the first picture of the two horses crossing the wide section of river.

    AKGreg...Transporter License for horses = mucho dollars for the insurance!!

    dennis

  7. #7

    Default

    Horses (preferably mules) are a great way to go! If or no other reason than most others don't use them.
    The meat sure looks nice.
    Thanks for posting.
    Joe (Ak)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Horses (preferably mules) are a great way to go! If or no other reason than most others don't use them.
    The meat sure looks nice.
    Thanks for posting.
    Joe (Ak)

    we have alot of horses but i would like to get a mule or 2 and see how they do in the swamps. they have proven themselves in the rocks as hunting and packing machines. I know one guy that has one he takes off the haul road and says he does great.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    we have alot of horses but i would like to get a mule or 2 and see how they do in the swamps. they have proven themselves in the rocks as hunting and packing machines. I know one guy that has one he takes off the haul road and says he does great.
    Used them in the Brooks for quite awhile. Always ran them loose so they did real well in the bogs and since they were constantly grazing almost no grain required for maintenance (we always use a bell mare to control them).
    Great way to go.
    Joe (Ak)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Used them in the Brooks for quite awhile. Always ran them loose so they did real well in the bogs and since they were constantly grazing almost no grain required for maintenance (we always use a bell mare to control them).
    Great way to go.
    Joe (Ak)


    good to know i figure they would do well as they are better in bad places than a horse and they way smarter. Growing up in western Montana i know alot of people that packed and rode a mule. i like somthing that i know have to pack a ton of grain in for you reach a point were you are packing more horses just to bring food for them.

  11. #11

    Default

    Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    good to know i figure they would do well as they are better in bad places than a horse and they way smarter. Growing up in western Montana i know alot of people that packed and rode a mule. i like somthing that i know have to pack a ton of grain in for you reach a point were you are packing more horses just to bring food for them.
    For a string of seven animals, usually two mares, four mule and one jack, we were carrying 150 lbs of BOC for a ten day, 200 mile trip to the Sheenjek R. from the Haul Road. Pack animals started with about 150 per animal but all packs diminished as the trip progressed.
    Are you going back to the Brooks?
    Joe (Ak)

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    For a string of seven animals, usually two mares, four mule and one jack, we were carrying 150 lbs of BOC for a ten day, 200 mile trip to the Sheenjek R. from the Haul Road. Pack animals started with about 150 per animal but all packs diminished as the trip progressed.
    Are you going back to the Brooks?
    Joe (Ak)

    hoping to this next hunting season if the time works out that i can go i took this summer off with the lack of good paying jobs i decided to play. i would like to do sheep trip with them in brooks as my good sheeping in the talkeetnas is not what it used to be.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    hoping to this next hunting season if the time works out that i can go i took this summer off with the lack of good paying jobs i decided to play. i would like to do sheep trip with them in brooks as my good sheeping in the talkeetnas is not what it used to be.
    A lot of good sheep hunting in the Brooks - especially with horses or mules.
    Joe (Ak)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •