Thread: Trail By Metal Creek

Default Trail By Metal Creek

I went to make a run to the glacier this weekend, and on the left hand side of the valley (looking towards the glacier) right by where metal creek comes out of the gorge I saw a trail going north up into the mountains. It had 2 metal bollards on each side of the trail and a steel cable off to the side (I am guessing it was blocked off at one time). We rode up it a ways past where you can overlook the glacier and the gorge. Firstly is the overlook where the serial killer had his cabin that he killed all those girls in during the 80's. Secondly, where does the trail go, we turned around about 10-15min into the trail because we were running low on fuel.

Thanks

I wasn't aware of a serial killer aspect to that old cabin location.

The trail goes on for what I'd guess is 3-4 miles, past a few mining claim camps, before you reach a spot where a landslide has taken out the trail.

The trail is about 8 miles long and leads to a mining camp. I havn't seen where the trail continues and thought that's were the D9 stopped punching the trail.

It's a hairy ride in the winter when the trail is covered with ice.

I heard another serial killer hangs out there now,waitng for hapless and lost atv'ers

There is no evidence in police report that Robert Hansen used those cabins for his victims. None. However, the rumor has caused them to be constantly vandalized and ruined and now they are gone. Feel sorry for there owners. Even though "Wikipedia" says opposite, there is none and never has been a Butcher Baker cabin. No ownership records, deeds, evidence, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dansvan View Post
    There is no evidence in police report that Robert Hansen used those cabins for his victims. None. However, the rumor has caused them to be constantly vandalized and ruined and now they are gone. Feel sorry for there owners. Even though "Wikipedia" says opposite, there is none and never has been a Butcher Baker cabin. No ownership records, deeds, evidence, nothing.
    Sadly, in that area the vandalism most likely occurred without any link whatsoever to rumors about Hansen's alleged use. Some people destroy things just for the fun of it. Everywhere we go we see things that have been shot, smashed, tipped over, and otherwise ruined.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. The entire KRPUA is an amazing place. I have been riding there alot over the last 2 years and I am still finding trails all over the place. God I love Alaska!!!

The trail used to go all the way to Metal Glacier, but as mentioned earlier a landslide has it closed to vehicle traffic. It is a nice hike the rest of the way in. Pretty steep in places, dont think i would want to do it in the winter..

actually if you look at the maps and the gps coordinates in the book wriiten about him from the detective that caught him that is approx where the cabin was. as well as you can go around and find the locations back there where he buried a couple of the girls. It's actually a good book to read. Last I heard he was teh barber down in seward correction facility

I've read both books and spent hours pouring over all the evidence. Had an opportunity several years ago to obtain the deed to one of the cabins. We did tons of research. There are holes that appear to be dug in search of bodies, but none ever reported found in that area. If you read the book it describes a canvas wall tent on the flats that he could land his plane next to.

In my experience reading over ownership rights to any said cabin, I'd hafts say dansvan is our local expert, many long discussions on this. Did he own the cabin/land? No. Is it possible he was using someone elses cabin for said activities? Yup.

Over the past 2 years someone has since then burned down the suspected cabin.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Here's a link from a local OHV board that clears up a lot of this. If you can wade through it. Interesting history Knik has. http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...=butcher+baker

Funny - when I read the books, I got the impression it wasn't a cabin at all, but rather a small lean to/wall tent type structure and it was west of the Old Glenn bridge off the Knik - he'd land on the gravel bar right next to the spot.

I do believe their was an A-Frame cabin in the gorge of Metal Creek, but some folks burnt it down.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

what do you care, you wanna go dig up bodys or something? im sure there are many more out there and not just from butcher baker.

heres where robert hansen is now.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    actually if you look at the maps and the gps coordinates in the book wriiten about him from the detective that caught him that is approx where the cabin was.
    You guys got my curiosity up. What's the title of the book(s)? We drove our trucks up to that cabin overlooking Metal Creek a number of years ago. I remember mentioning to my friend that there was no way I'd own a cabin around there, you'd be constantly dealing with vandalism and burglary.

The books are: Fair Game
    Butcher Baker

You can get them on Amazon now for $4 each total price including shipping.

if anyone in anchorage and wanna borrow the books i can lend them to you, but i want them back when your done.
    Semper Fi!

My friends grandpa picked up the real baker property long ago and the shed has been removed and used for firewood as it was busted up anyway. It was their old moose camp for many years though now it is pretty well hunted out. No the property is not up in the Metal creek area, it is in fact on the flats but back then it was more remote than it is today.