Thread: Burbot

Default Burbot

I live in the fairbanks area and am interested in pulling some burbot through the ice. Everyone that I have talked to said that you only really catch them in the rivers. I think that is hogwash. Can anyone direct me to some lakes or ponds and give me a method. I would assume you could catch them readily using simular methods to Walleye in the lower 48. Thanks for your time.

I've only fished for them in lakes by both jigging a crockadile on the bottom and by setting traps with herring (again on the bottom) as bait overnight. Good fishing
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default Good Info on Burbot, from Alaska F&G

Quote Originally Posted by skinningleonard View Post
    I live in the fairbanks area and am interested in pulling some burbot through the ice. Everyone that I have talked to said that you only really catch them in the rivers. I think that is hogwash. Can anyone direct me to some lakes or ponds and give me a method. I would assume you could catch them readily using simular methods to Walleye in the lower 48. Thanks for your time.
    Here is a link I found to burbot info: http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...ish/burbot.php

Default small burbot

Here's a couple of pics of the family and I, with a few small burbot in the 30 to 35 inch range. The kids love this type of fishing even at 20 below.
    Happy fishin,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

How deep do you fish for these "small" burbot?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    How deep do you fish for these "small" burbot?
    No kidding. Those are some sweet fish!

where im from (MT) people only ice fish for them in lakes because the ice on the rivers there isn't safe. a jig head with a minnow works good or just a chunk of cut bait real close to the bottom on a hook or jig is fine too. Good luck!

Default burbot

I have done best in 15 ft of water or less.

Default more smallish burbot

Sorry but most of the big burbot Ive caught were photographed with a 35 mm camera or no [pics at all. I got back into burbot fishing a few years back and I am exploring some of the good spots I burbot fished in the early to late eighties. My uncle was a burbot slayer in the 70's and has shared with me some excellent spots. I have few friends who are willing to camp in sub zero weather, so I can't get to the great spots very often.

Default try this

As soon as your fish hits the ice, bleed it, gut it, and if it's cold, protect them by wrapping them and burying them in the snow. (Very well preserved meat). Try a Cajun batter mixed with tempura batter and some jhonnies salt seasoning. Get your olive oil hot, and enjoy, smaller pieces are better IMO.
    Mark

heyyyyyyy wait a minute.....i know where that picture was taken! you guys catch those there?

Release Lake Trout

Default no

lol what fun

HAHAHA! I noticed that too. I went there two weeks ago and caught char after wave of char. Good find markoathout. Im sure the only shallows on there draw them in like clockwork.

Default burbot lure

Try these, with a piece of bait attached, when you jig for burbot or lake trout.
    Actually long lake is really slow for nice burbot, go north.

hmmmm maybe they stopped for a pee brake, took a couple of pictures to throw everyone off there scent

Default What lakes would have them?

Does anyone have a guess as where to find some of these fish in the Eielson AFB-Fairbanks area?