Thread: Back From Delta

Thumbs up Back From Delta

First off, I'd like to give a huge shout out to Diana Schultz. She really knows her stuff about bison hunting. Also, thanks to all who provided advise on my trip.

Left Wasilla on Friday night. Got to the Trophy Lodge about midnight and Carlos at the Trophy Lodge took very good care of us.

Got up early on Saturday morning and headed out to Schultz Farms. Met up with Diana and Scott. WONDERFUL people! Spent an hour or more chatting with them and hanging on every word Diana had to say about bison hunting. She gave us a good orientation of their property and sent us on our way.

Looked around our assigned tract and less than 1 hour after beginning the hunt, my bison was on the ground and we were taking pictures.

Found a herd of about 100 bison, made the stalk and waited for what I wanted to seperate from the herd. Made a 100 yard shot and dropped it in it's track with one shot. I was looking to take a good eater for the freezer and that's what I got. Ended up shooting a young bull. Diana asked us to remove everything but the gut pile from the field so my buddy and I butchered it up and got it in the truck. Temperatures were -25F to -13F and were lucky to have no wind. First experience hunting and butchering in those kinds of temps. We took a battery operated sawzall and it made fast work to split the rib cage and remove the feet. Everything else was with knives.

I know that I was very lucky to draw the tag, and the hunt was overly easy for me by shear luck. I was lucky to have good advise from those in the know. And for all of that, I'm truly thankful. I know that it's not been as easy for some. I can tell future hunters to really study all you can about bison when it comes to age and sex. If you're not overly familiar with them, it can be EXTREMELY difficult to age and sex them. I'm hearing that next year is going back to single sex hunting. There is a ton of dirt and grit in their hides, so you might want to take extra knives.

If I were a horn hunter, I'd likely still be there trying to get on a bigger one. Seems the older animals are the first to run off once they know you're there...at least it was like that for me. But, for quality of meat, I don't think I could have done any better.

Lastly, for those that want to use Schultz farms, the best advise I can give you is to listen carefully to what Diana has to say, and respect her rules and her property. She honestly wants to see you succeed, and she will not steer you wrong.

Left Wasilla on Friday at 6:00 PM and back home on Sunday at 3:00 PM. Up, back on done in less than 48 hours. Now waiting for meat bags to thaw enough to get them unstuck form the bed of the truck.

I would post a picture if I knew how. Someone can PM me with their email and I will send the picture if you'd post it for me.

Again, THANK YOU Diana and Scott for your wonderful hospitality!!

Default congratulations

congratulations - sounds like you had a wonderful trip, (except for the cold temps) just in time to have a roast for the holidays
    enjoy the bison -
    - hopefully some day I will be lucky enough to get a permit.

Awesome Marlin! Congrats on filling your tag. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Was there a good amount of snow out there, or were you able to drive around where you wanted to go? How long did it take you to cut him up?

Default Awesome!

I had the same luck with the Shultz family. They are great people and Diana knows her stuff. I was looking for a larger bull and ended up taking one on another farm. Got permission from the farmer and he was more than happy to let me hunt, did not want any fees. He has a large family and I ended up giving him some meat that he was more than happy to accept.
    Hopefully! I helped make future hunting opportunities for others.

How we act when we are on their property directlly effects future hunting opportunities for all of us.
    I always try to do my part!
    Louis

Default Snow Conditions

Jerod,

We were good with the snow. Able to drive where we needed to. 3-4" on the ground. We didn't have any wind, so we didn't have to deal with snow drifts, but the wind did kick up on Sunday so you never know. I took my quad, but never started it the entire time.

I would take a couple pair of gloves. Once mine got bloody, they froze solid. Luckily, it was at the tail end of the job. Took me and a buddy about 3 hours to get the job done. Fumbling with gloves and dealing with the cold for the first time slowed things down a bit. The sawzall worked out great, for what little we used it. Just be sure to keep the batteries warm in a cooler or in the cab of the truck. Take a spare battery and the 10" blades did the trick.

I think some warm water to clean knife blades would have helped too. Blood and hair would freeze on it rather fast.

Hope I was able to help you. Good luck!

Marlin, thanks for the info. Hopefully it'll be the same conditions in a couple of weeks.

I've butchered quite a few animals in the cold, and one trick that I have for keeping hands warm is to use the Nitrile gloves on the outside of thin butchering gloves. The problem is putting the Nitrile gloves on when they are cold. If they are frozen, they'll just split, so you have to keep them warm somehow. I put them in my mouth for a minute or so last time I used them and it worked out.

I doubt we'll bring a quad or snowmachine this time, and just hope that we can drive to it if we get one down. We'll have the packframes just in case.

Did you check in the bison with Fish and Game? I'm curious to know how the success rate has been this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Marlin, thanks for the info. Hopefully it'll be the same conditions in a couple of weeks. .

Wind has been ripping the last couple of days up here. I would expect some drifting by the time you make it up.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Marlins Bison

here ya go... Marlin emailed me his photo.... nice bison...gotta love hunting at -25

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default being stingy?

So Vince are you just rubbing our noses in it that you get to see the pictures without posting them for the rest of us? That's just harsh man. Didn't see any picture or link on your post to see 'em. Maybe you could help us out.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    So Vince are you just rubbing our noses in it that you get to see the pictures without posting them for the rest of us? That's just harsh man. Didn't see any picture or link on your post to see 'em. Maybe you could help us out.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    soorr i know what i did......BRB...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default was in wrong album. not all are visible to every one....

can you see him now!

forgot i had closed albums...sorry about that...

meet on face book here

awesome job.........congrats.

Very nice- looks like a tasty one!

Smile Marlin

congrat on a really nice bull.

Jerod,

I'm sure you have sleds but if you need some help let me know. I've got two and a trailer. Not asking for anything, but I'm more then willing to help out if you need it, drop line if you do. I start a new job in 2 weeks and I'm unsure of my schedule. Still no word of them on my pards farm...I plan on calling him tomorrow or thurs. for a songdog report, I'll ask again about the bison.

And congrats to you Marlin!!!

Default super

Most excellent! That just makes my mouth water.

Thanks for sharing with all of us. It helps get us through the winter.