Thread: Netting game fish in Lake Louise

Default Netting game fish in Lake Louise

Been some folks that have been netting whitefish at the thourgh? fare between lake louise and susitna. They are setting nets across the whole thing. I guess there is a law that says you can keep the bi-catch of the net as they are alreadly dead anyhow. Well there are some lake trout carcasses in there pile that are monsters. The troopers are aware of whats going on but have there hands tied as it is legal what they are doing. Not right but legal. I guess they have been keeping a close eye on the situation and looking for a reason to bust them. So if your up that way maybe you can stop by and give them your 2 (.44) cents worth if the troopers cant save the lakers maybe we can. Thanks.

Dube

Subsistence regs... You can do it to if you are an Alaskan resident
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Been some folks that have been netting whitefish at the thourgh? fare between lake louise and susitna. They are setting nets across the whole thing. I guess there is a law that says you can keep the bi-catch of the net as they are alreadly dead anyhow. Well there are some lake trout carcasses in there pile that are monsters. The troopers are aware of whats going on but have there hands tied as it is legal what they are doing. Not right but legal. I guess they have been keeping a close eye on the situation and looking for a reason to bust them. So if your up that way maybe you can stop by and give them your 2 (.44) cents worth if the troopers cant save the lakers maybe we can. Thanks.

Dube

who are you to say it "aint right"?? The state did a study a few years back regarding whitefish and burbot being a subsistance fish that was relied on heavily for food when the salmon runs were or werent good. subsistance fishing is a consideration that many do not attribute to whitefish and burbot (and an occasional laker for cripes sake). there are only a few permits issued out every yr. from the glenallen office.....i believe. subsistance fishing for these species in the winter time has been going on for hundreds or even thousands of years. State regulations of Alaska eradicated this tradition and people who grew up this way with fond child-hood memories WANT IT BACK! I support it and you should to. Ignorance is bliss though right? Go ahead and rally people to harass resident subsistance fisherman. Are you from there?

Are the fish laying around whole carcasses OR fileted carcasses?

I heard that there is more to the story.

Default Want it back you say?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    who are you to say it "aint right"?? The state did a study a few years back regarding whitefish and burbot being a subsistance fish that was relied on heavily for food when the salmon runs were or werent good. subsistance fishing is a consideration that many do not attribute to whitefish and burbot (and an occasional laker for cripes sake). there are only a few permits issued out every yr. from the glenallen office.....i believe. subsistance fishing for these species in the winter time has been going on for hundreds or even thousands of years. State regulations of Alaska eradicated this tradition and people who grew up this way with fond child-hood memories WANT IT BACK! I support it and you should to. Ignorance is bliss though right? Go ahead and rally people to harass resident subsistance fisherman. Are you from there?
    Many of us who have lived here most of our lives WANT IT BACK! Trouble is, there are a whole lot more people living here on the road system than 40 years ago, and the resource must be shared. Getting it back ain't gonna happen unless a lot of new comers go home.

I have participated in many subsistence activities out in the bush, and I feel they are justified because it is so expensive to live out there, but subsistence on the road system needs to be very carefully considered and politics should not enter the considerations. Lakes readily accessible to the growing population, such as Louise, and Hidden cannot take the kind of pressure crowds will be bringing to bear on slow growing species such as lake trout. Net fishing on road system lakes shouldn't be an option because it isn't selective the way rod and reel fishing is.

No they are filleting the carcasses so they are saving the meat. On a side note these guys are from glennallen and they are all Russians. Not sure but dont think they were born and raised there. I'm not against subsistance anything. BUT when they are netting the entire thorough? fare off and continuing to take large lakers that take years to grow that large on every set. well come on.. If I could set a net across the deshka for whitefish during king season and I kill a pile of kings in the process even if it was legal would it be right?

Default Yup

If they're Rooskies the resource is in trouble. Laws don't seem to apply to them.

True that. The russians will destroy any fishing resource they can get their hands on. You guys remember the ones out at Flathorn and Figure 8 lakes a few years back? Biggest bunch of pigs you ever saw.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Many of us who have lived here most of our lives WANT IT BACK! Trouble is, there are a whole lot more people living here on the road system than 40 years ago, and the resource must be shared. Getting it back ain't gonna happen unless a lot of new comers go home.

I have participated in many subsistence activities out in the bush, and I feel they are justified because it is so expensive to live out there, but subsistence on the road system needs to be very carefully considered and politics should not enter the considerations. Lakes readily accessible to the growing population, such as Louise, and Hidden cannot take the kind of pressure crowds will be bringing to bear on slow growing species such as lake trout. Net fishing on road system lakes shouldn't be an option because it isn't selective the way rod and reel fishing is.
    Very well said Sayak.
    Lakers up in out high lattitudes only grow a maximum of a 1/2 pound a year and that is only after they reach a certain age/size. I believe it takes several years to attain that size. In the NWT our road accessible Lake Trout waters have a 1 fish angling limit and no netting. Once you get off the road system you can take 3 by angling and also net for whitefish.
    Overfishing of Laker Lakes will decimate the fishery in no time.

Flathorn and Figure 8 lakes a few years back

Yipper, a mini city and a 1000 holes on the lake weekend get togethers.

I'm suprised I ever caught anything after those fish fest.

The trooper said they are Russians and from the Delta area. They are believed to be breaking into cabins also. Please keep an eye out and report anything funny to the troopers or either lodges....

heard the same thing didnt want to bring it up on the fishing forum. Heard they stayed in the a-frame cabin in larson bay last weekend.

If the lakers are being caught in nets and the reason for the one per day, one in possession limit is to help rebuild the population why can they not issue an emergency order? Make the people harvest the whitefish with consideration for the laker resource. Check nets every 1/2 hour and release all non target species. No overnight setting of nets.... etc.... Monitor their actions. If the channel is still open, they could probably catch more with rod and reel......

What if people were catching rainbows in the Kenai with dipnets? Would they not issue an emergency order?

If what they are doing is legal. I will not harass them. I might harass the people making it legal.

If they are taking liberties with cabins. That is another story. People work hard to get their places up there. Toleration of theives/vandals is low.

Mike

Smile Neighbors??

Hey Mike....Sounds like you have new neighbors!!! Hope not!!! Bright side is maybe you will get invited to a housewarming party and fish fry!!! HA

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Hey Mike....Sounds like you have new neighbors!!! Hope not!!! Bright side is maybe you will get invited to a housewarming party and fish fry!!! HA
    Stick the knife in and don't forget to turn it. You are as bad as my mother-in-law. Well not quite.

I like parties!