Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska longliners landed 42 million pounds of halibut

Default Alaska longliners landed 42 million pounds of halibut

yet the SE charter limit is still 1 perday?

http://www.adn.com/money/welch/story/1022773.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Most of Alaska's fresh halibut catch goes to U.S. retail counters and restaurants. The demand this year came from retail buyers as more customers avoided expensive restaurants and bought halibut to eat at home, said market analyst Ken Talley. The frozen market also has taken off and inventory holdings "are said to be very low," he added.
    Customers appreciated this year's lower prices, said Dannon Southall, wholesale/retail manager at 10th and M Seafoods in Anchorage.
    I guess that mean little?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As has been mentioned here over and over and over again, while the statewide halibut population is healthy, the havestable biomass in Southeast has declined and the allowable IFQ catch has been cut over 40% in response. Until this year, the Southeast charter catch kept growing and growing, so a cut in the limit was necessary to keep the catch in line with the resource decline and the cut in IFQ limits. A rising tide lifts all boats, and similarly a dropping tide should affect all as well.

"Lots of small fish were being landed again this year, said Duff Hoyt, manger at Icicle Seafoods in Homer."

"The halibut growth rates are much slower," Hoyt said, "probably due to competition for food with all the arrowtooth flounders that are blanketing the bottom of the Gulf."

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

"The halibut growth rates are much slower," Hoyt said, "probably due to competition for food with all the arrowtooth flounders that are blanketing the bottom of the Gulf."
    That was an interesting note about the arrowtooth flounder. In the past we didn't catch any arrowtooth in the Sound, whereas now we'll catch anywhere from 25-150 per set. There are definitely far more arrowtooth than there used to be. The same is true of pacific sleeper sharks.

Do you think it's because of less halibut and flounders are filling the void?

Stuff like that is very very worrisome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Do you think it's because of less halibut and flounders are filling the void?

Stuff like that is very very worrisome to me.
    I'm not a fisheries biologist and I don't have any verifiable data. All I can speak to is what I've seen on my family's boat over the past 20+ years. We are not catching fewer halibut per set than we used to. If anything, our catch rates have slightly improved over what they were in the 80's. We had some excellent years in the 90s that we aren't duplicating right now, but overall it seems like our halibut catch rates are pretty consistent. That being the case, it doesn't seem like they're filling in a void due to the absence of halibut. Again, though, this is just based on informal observations on the deck of one boat.

I have caught quite a few of the arrowtooth in PWS. They taste like crap.

Brian I would agree with you on the tide, however, if charters are going to be reduced by 50%, so should the longliners. Its all about resource management right?

But then again I veiw the charter customer as sportfishing anyway. Call it what it is..............

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

The smaller sized halibut being brought in, will have a snowball effect, IMO..

First, it means less breeders are out there, and it's obvious what that means.

Second, it means that more halibut will have to be harvested, for boats to get the #'s they can catch.

The crash might be coming quickly..

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post

Brian I would agree with you on the tide, however, if charters are going to be reduced by 50%, so should the longliners. Its all about resource management right?
    They already have been. That's why the charter cut seems reasonable to me - the longline quota has been cut by nearly 50% in the years leading up to the cut in the charter limit.

Alaska longliners landed 42 million pounds of halibut...yet the SE charter limit is still 1 perday?
    There is no limit for SE charters. Charters can still harvest as much as they want with as many boats and trips as they want. And any sportfisherman can still catch 2 per day if they want.

You're wrongfully comparing the entire statewide commercial longline harvest to the area 2C charter client bag limit.

The statewide commercial harvest was about 3% under harvest limits. Over the last several years longline quota in 2C has been reduced over 50%, and been under harvest limits every year. Over the same time the commercial charters have increased their harvests, and exceeded their guidline harvest levels.

This seems to be another thread pitting commercial vs. charter. It's all been covered over and over and over before. If there's a new point, then please make it, and we can have a discussion on the facts and merits of that point.

I think everyone expected for SE to stay at 1 fish, at least for the next couple of years.

The king salmon abundance/limit will make or break the charter fleet in 2010, IMO. I'm not sure the charter fleet will survive another poor king year with only 1 halibut. Just my opinion..

Default public

Quote "Most of Alaska's fresh halibut catch goes to U.S. retail counters and restaurants. "

So tell me how all those greedy commercial fishermen are keeping halibut from the public? What they are actually doing is delivering it to the public in the most efficient and inexpensive manner.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Coming to a theater near you!

It looks like the abuse of the commercial fishing industry is coming to a head. They've created a documentary addressing it and will be shown nationwide soon. The trawler waste video is just more evidence of where the real problem lies.

Check out:
    endoftheline.com
    and
    http://tholepin.blogspot.com/2009/10...but-waste.html

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Quote "Most of Alaska's fresh halibut catch goes to U.S. retail counters and restaurants. "

So tell me how all those greedy commercial fishermen are keeping halibut from the public? What they are actually doing is delivering it to the public in the most efficient and inexpensive manner.
    The most efficient and inexpensive manner benefits the commercial fishermen, but isn't the best for the future of the resource

Look out South-Central you are next!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Charter guys, do you really want to re-hash all this again, and again, and again?....The court made its decision - twice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T
    The most efficient and inexpensive manner benefits the commercial fishermen, but isn't the best for the future of the resource
    No. Commercial halibut fishing benefits the vast majority of the Nation's public who own the fish, and who buy their fish at the store or restaurant. And that commercial fishery is managed to sustain the resource, as dictated by Federal Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove
    It looks like the abuse of the commercial fishing industry is coming to a head...The trawler waste video is just more evidence of where the real problem lies.
    Bycatch is subtracted from the allowable commercial harvest in order for the resource to remain sustained. If you eliminated bycatch, yields would just be set higher and more halibut would be allowed to be harvested commerically. Likewise if you increased bycatch, commercial harvest would drop. My point is that nothing would change for the charter situation.

You can point fingers, look for scapegoats, and run a smear campaign against commercial fishing if you want. But two wrongs will never make a right.

You charter guys complaining here knew when you started that your business was dependent on tourism, resource fluxuations, and Federal fishery management impacts. You knew all about commercial fishing allocation, bycatch, and the importance in maintaining your guideline harvest levels. Like any fishing business, including commercial fishing, nothing guaranteed or promised you clients, halibut, or a two fish limit. You couldn't honestly expect your unlimited and uncontrolled free-for-all to continue forever. You couldn't honestly expect the commercial fishery to get cut 50% while you continued to increase harvest and exceed GHL.

It's not the end of the world. The one-fish limit isn't going to discourage that many people from charters. And those who decide not to fish because they can't keep that second fish, will just spend their money on something else. Plus you still have other resources to exploit...salmon, rockfish, cod, shell fish, steelhead, cutthroat, whale watching, etc.

Again, the court has made a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbassking
    Not if they continue to keep their guideline harvest levels in check, and don't increase their harvests while other sectors are cut in half. But if they do what 2C did in S.E. then yes, they are next. And rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    There is no limit for SE charters. Charters can still harvest as much as they want with as many boats and trips as they want. And any sportfisherman can still catch 2 per day if they want.

You're wrongfully comparing the entire statewide commercial longline harvest to the area 2C charter client bag limit.

The statewide commercial harvest was about 3% under harvest limits. Over the last several years longline quota in 2C has been reduced over 50%, and been under harvest limits every year. Over the same time the commercial charters have increased their harvests, and exceeded their guidline harvest levels.

This seems to be another thread pitting commercial vs. charter. It's all been covered over and over and over before. If there's a new point, then please make it, and we can have a discussion on the facts and merits of that point.
    But, the 1 fish limit will be coming to South-Central next. I know the other threads of pitting Charter, sport fishing and commercials against each other.

My issue is that the commercial industry, at least in Alaska needs to stay local and Alaskan. We have way too many companies coming up from Washington, Oregon and California, most with foreign ownership. These states have run their states fisheries into the ground and now they want Alaska. I say no deal.

As far as the Charters, so long as the fisherman on board are required to buy a fishing license, then I view them as nothing more than sport fisherman. There are some who will disagree of course, but when does it stop? When I am only allowed 1 fish as a private Alaskan and then told by the commercials if I want more fish, I will be required to buy it from them?

The commercial/sport fishing dispute has been around for years and now the new trick is to get to the sport fishermen through the charters.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

When halibut crashes from overfishing, the only people who are going to be able to access halibut are going to be subsistence users.

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion......

Unless things are changed, in 15 years, it'll be "Daddy, what does a halibut look like?"

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast