Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing w/dodgers?

Default Ice fishing w/dodgers?

Ant of you guys use dodgers when ice fishing? If so, at what depth do you start using them? Ive never used them, but keep hearing they are necessary when you start to fish deeper water for Char and Lakers. Also what size? Thanks for any tips.

Been ice fishing my whole life, fished 100+ feet for lakers in lake superior never herd of anyone using a dodger! Someone's having some fun at your expense!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

We use them all the time. When fishing under 20 feet, we use them almost 100% of the time. The problem is that the hits are harder to detect but that's no problem if you can "sight" fish. We take a piece of carpet and lie down and cover up with a sleeping bag if we don't have a shack.

The dodger usually the 000 size attracts the fish and you can get away with using much smaller baits. Our favorites are weighted egg sucking leeches or small rubber minnows on a jig head. You need the hook to have some weight or the line tends to tangle as the dodger drops.

Another thing we used to do quite a bit was to fish eggs or shrimp under a large pixie spoons. The hits can be agressive. I think maybe the fish think they better hit the bait before the "other fish" (the dodger) takes it.

take a look at my very old (unfortunately) winter logs at www.alaskafishinglogs.com

winter 2001/2002 logs show the best examples.

Just moved back to Alaska last winter so i hope to get more fishing in.

Hmm how about that! Interesting.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I use them - been using them since I read it here-http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/

the amount of fish caught has increased, many thanks to Rudy and his friends

Thumbs up

I've never used them myself, but I will give it a go.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default Rudy's Pages

Rudys ICE fishing pages... Thats where I learned about them from also. Rudy moved south glad he has his pages to his old reports archived. Never did go fishing with him. And yes the ooo dodgers can work great. I always have a couple with me ice fishing and use them by themselves (no hook on a lead just the dodger) to attract some fish in....then I pull the dodger for some bait when the fish show up.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I'm back in Alaska!!! The difference is I have a 5 and 7 year old so I just don't get out as often! I divested myself of the "other" impediment to my fishing so I am hoping to fish a little bit more! Less funds going to nordstroms and hopefully some more to Mountain View Sports or B&J!

A little motivational help would be appreciated so keep up all the fishing reports so I feel really bad and I make more of an effort to get out!

Rudy

I've tried using them in separate holes to attract fish to the general area, no hooks on the flasher rigs
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up What else works...

... is those whirley things that spin like helicopter blades as you jig them up and down. Don't remember what they are called, but they have two sets of "wings", silver and red in color, seperated by beads on a short piece of wire leader. Their are swivel clasps on either end. They work good for attracting lakers and char, though they give a little resistance as you jig them up. I rig them about 3 feet above my terminal bait.

hey Tom, longshot here, but are you sure people aren't telling you to use a flasher?

If so they might be talking about electronic gear (flasher) instead of a dodger (flasher) - I use both so neither is wrong, just wondering if there might be some term confusion going on

good luck fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    hey Tom, longshot here, but are you sure people aren't telling you to use a flasher?

If so they might be talking about electronic gear (flasher) instead of a dodger (flasher) - I use both so neither is wrong, just wondering if there might be some term confusion going on

good luck fishing!
    There talking about dodgers (look at Rudy's link to his fishing blog)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

yeah you're right - I see now he says 'what size'...guess I should read the post.

I use a small dodger like you do jedi- no hook, just jig the tar out of it to get some interest from afar.

Yep, dodger, not flasher.

Thanks for all the tips. Gonna pick some up and give it a try next time im in the deep water for lakers.

Ive used similar pieces of shiny metal to attract fish in very deep water. One result being a rod almost pulled out of my hand by what could have been Nessie. Ive never actually used "dodgers" but shiny, flashy, and loud works good for O2 starved fish waiting for food.

Default They work

There are many variations to the theme. One that has long worked very well is using a spoon like a krokodile or Swedish Pimple, removing the hook and putting a 3-6" leader on, then a single hook with bait or a small jig. This will often outfish just the spoon. Dodger is the same principal: big flash to attract fish in, then small jig, spoon or fly underneath to seal the deal. Yet another variation is to jig two holes next to each other, in areas where bait is legal: with one rod in each hand, use a spoon on one rod and bait in the other. Often fish attracted by the spoon will see the bait and strike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    We use them all the time. When fishing under 20 feet, we use them almost 100% of the time. The problem is that the hits are harder to detect but that's no problem if you can "sight" fish. We take a piece of carpet and lie down and cover up with a sleeping bag if we don't have a shack.

The dodger usually the 000 size attracts the fish and you can get away with using much smaller baits. Our favorites are weighted egg sucking leeches or small rubber minnows on a jig head. You need the hook to have some weight or the line tends to tangle as the dodger drops.

Another thing we used to do quite a bit was to fish eggs or shrimp under a large pixie spoons. The hits can be agressive. I think maybe the fish think they better hit the bait before the "other fish" (the dodger) takes it.

take a look at my very old (unfortunately) winter logs at www.alaskafishinglogs.com

winter 2001/2002 logs show the best examples.

Just moved back to Alaska last winter so i hope to get more fishing in.
    I really liked the info you shared on Big Lake. I am looking forward to trying your dodger idea. Send a PM if you would like to team up on Bog Lake some time.

Default Dodgers

I use Slip droppers from custom Jigs and Spins. Just a variation on the small spoon idea but easier to use and MUCH easier to adjust.
    My favorite color is the silver with Glow tape.
    I am a big fan of all their jigs for kokaneee and Rainbows.
    http://www.customjigsandspins.com
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Update

Sure is neat tactic. Used dodgers for most of the day today in 30' of water. Picked up some nice dollies. I had one set-up with just a jig and split shot, then another with dodger, 20" leader, then jig. The dodged (is that a word) rig, scored more and bigger fish.

havent had a chance to try it with ice but ive jigged open water in the summer this way with pretty good results.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast