Thread: Killey River

Default Killey River

Can you take a jet boat up the killey river? If so, what restrictions besides the 50 HP kenai limit are there for the killey, if any? Anyone ever done it and if so how far up can you make it?

Thanks

I have heard it's over grown and impassable with many sweepers but have never been on it.

Unless it's changed from a few years ago you won't get very far. It would take a good chain saw and a ton of time!

Default 5 hp

I had a moose permit for that area awhile ago and when I checked with Fish and Game, and then whichever path they sent me down, I was told there was a 5 hp restriction on that river. Maybe a canoe with a 5 hp would do it, but even that would probably take awhile.

I did this with a jet ski some years ago and trust me this is no place for a boat of any kind. So many snags, shallow water, large log jambs, sweepers etc. Something I did years ago and would never try again. For get it.

My dad's buddy used to talk about shooting the Killey in jet boats, but that was in the 70's. I think they went fast and hit lots of stuff, there may or may not have been beer involved.