Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The alaska wildllife alliance

Thumbs down The alaska wildllife alliance

My girlfriend just a letter in the mail today from the alaska wildlife alliance. I will type out the letter just to let you all read what it says.

" Alaska wildlife lovers,

Today we have causes to celebrate.... and cause for action.

In alaska, we can celebrate the recent rejection of a proposal to kill the famous pack creek bears in southeast alaska. The alaska wildlife alliance was among those testifying on behalf of there threatened bears, and now we can celebrate thier being saved from trophy hunters.

We can also rejoice that Fairbanks voters cast out Ralph seekins, the anti-wildlife legislator who spearheaded the reinstatement of aerial wolf gunning. He also pursued legalizing of bear cubs, trapping bears and selling bear parts. Thankfully he is gone.

Unfortunatly, alaska's wildlife still fave enormous threats. The governor-elect, Sarah Palin, is a strong proponent of wolf and bear killing programs to inflate moose populations for her trophy hunting friends. Already, permits have been issued for the fourth year of aerial wolf killing over tens of thousands of square miles in alaska. Hundreds of wolves will be slaughtered by airplane hunters simply looking for a good time.

With your help, we can stop the new governor in her tracks.

Together, we'll wend a strong message that:
    The gunning down of Alaska's wolves and bears from airplanes must be stopped. Alaskans have voted twice to ban the public aerial wolf killing.
    A proposed hunt of the world famous Mcniel river bears must not happen. These human-tolerant bears will make easy targets for greedt trophy hunters.
    The current all-hunter board of game must be replaced. Alaska needs a board of Wildlife, representing all wildlife interests, not just rich trophy hunters.
    A proposed mining project in the heart of bear country - the enormous Pebble mine - must be halted. A recent study showed that one of four proposed pebble mine dams will be 4.3 miles long and over 700 feet tall, making it the largest dam on planet earth.

The alaska wildlife alliance, in partnership with other organizations, recently filed a lawsuit against the state of alaska for implementing scientifically unsound wolf killing programs. So for these ill-advised programs have resulted in the deaths of over 450 wolves. If sucessful, our lawsuit will put an end to the slaughter when it forces to justify its wolf killing spree.

We also helped turn in over 56,000 signatures for a ballot measure to ban the use of aircraft to kill wolves and bears. This measure will give alaskans the opportunity to ban aerial wolf killing for the third time.

Every year at this time we call on you to support alaska's wildlife, and each year you respond.

As a small, on-the-ground wildlife advocacy organization, we know we can count on your generous support for out important work.

Your special gift of $25 $50 $100 $500 or more will truly make a difference.

Our very best to you and yours for the upcoming Holiday Season!

Thank you for caring about Alaska's wildlife,
    John Toppenberg
    Director

P.S. Please send your gift today. There is a strong momentum of change - with your help we can stop the assault on alaska's wildlife. "

Thats the letter my girlfriend got in the mail today. Its weird because we just moved to anchorage from homer and the address is to our new address without a forward sticker. You can see more information on thier website at www.akwildlife.org
    My favorite part is how they add wording to make things sound worse. Such as "threatened bears" "trophy hunters" "cast out Ralph Seekins" "anti-wildlife" "wolf gunning" "Hundreds of wolves will be slaughtered"

also stating that alaskans have twice voted to ban public aerial wolf killing. Why did they not add that it was not voted for the ban both times.

The director moved to alaska in 1998 from colorado, So obviously he is an expert on alaska. The assistant director moved from alaska in 1962 so in the last 44 years im sure he is very in touch with alaska and knows what is best for it. because he For the last ten years he has spent at least a week every year in Alaska in both summer and winter. Hey with a week in alaska every year, I would be an expert too.

according to where you send your dontation it is coming from anchorage, but I highly doubt the strength of the support is from this state.

So what do you all think? Check out the website.
    Patrick

Default Hmmmmmm....

So they want you to sent them a gift eh'??? I'll sent them a gift, a baggy full of wolf poo with the signing on the bag of ES&D! These people crack me up. Idiot's.

I get ulcers when I read such rank and odiferous tirades. This is so misleading that it defies decency. Correct me if I am wrong, but it isn't "aerial gunning," rather, is correctly termed "land and shoot." They aren't allowed to shoot them from the air! Yet, when you read this letter or look at their website, you'd think people had gatling guns mounted to their Super Cubs!

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I get ulcers when I read such rank and odiferous tirades. This is so misleading that it defies decency. Correct me if I am wrong, but it isn't "aerial gunning," rather, is correctly termed "land and shoot." They aren't allowed to shoot them from the air! Yet, when you read this letter or look at their website, you'd think people had gatling guns mounted to their Super Cubs!
    Hell you can land and shoot deer. I do think there are a few permits that are issued that let one kill wolves while flying seems a bit unsporting to me but you know feed McGraph... Although being against bear and wolf hunting has its merits. I'm a firm believer in eating what you hunt and I don't think very many people eat bears and wolves (now trapping is a different story, in that case the wolves are dumb enough to step into the trap). Trophy hunting does give people a target to be against hunters for sure and to some point I agree (which is why I won't go bear or wolf hunting) but to the same end if it is ecologically sound and adds to the sustainable economy then I can put up with people who want to shoot bears and wolves just like I can put up with homosexuals getting married, girls and women having abortions, and 4 oz of pot being allowed in our homes. Government should not restrict freedoms when it does not infringe on peoples rights. The one thing that the state should never do in regaurds to predator controll is subsidize it because that would cost the state money which it probably won't have. The hipocracy among both ends of the spectrum is astounding and groups like this are part of the butt cheeks in the end you know what part gets screwed...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Government should not restrict freedoms when it does not infringe on peoples rights.

I'm a lil' confused, because on the thread concerning firearms in national parks you said:

simple solution: don't go to national parks, if carrying a firearm is that important too you carry one somewhere else. I know I don't go to national parks because of the hassles that come along with them. Would any of you complain about not allowing firearms in airports or courtrooms?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=6560

It would appear that you convolute your own logic to suit the need of a given stance. Dangerous to do, especially if you hope to achieve credibility with those you debate with. I've seen a few such posts where you seem to just take an opposing point for no other reason than the fact no one else has. No offense intended here, but you might want to think through some of these statements before hitting ENTER. Hypocrisy is something I personally feel the need to point out, especially when it is coupled with a less than strong foundation of fact. Agree or not with predator control, but no one on either side has ever claimed it was a "sport", it's a tool of management that needs to be utilized carefully. And I bet a few trappers here could chime in in regards to the "stupidity" of wolves getting themselves trapped, that comment seriously erodes any semblance of knowledge of topic. And while I also am a firm believer in eating what I shoot, I will not have the audacity to criticize those who hunt Brown Bears, many folks do it for a variety of reasons & it takes more cajones than the average schmuck possess, and it is another factor of game management.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Shooting from Air

See below.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Actually, they can shoot wolves from the air. Not that I disagree with it, but just so you know the facts. They don't have gatling guns, but 10 guages and AR-15 haning out the window.

I can put up with people who want to shoot bears and wolves just like I can put up with homosexuals getting married, girls and women having abortions, and 4 oz of pot being allowed in our homes.

man this sounds like one of those games i play with my kids, which topic is outa place here sammy?? Homosexuality...abortion...illegal drugs OR shooting bears??? take your time, this is a toughy.

Default ak powder monkey

Where do you get the not sporting part? This is one of the big problems with hunters in general. This isn't supposed to be "sporting". They are aerial wolf hunting to thin down the #'s of wolves. Some of your other statements throw me off too, but I think BRBR too care of those.

Who cares if they do have gatlin guns mounted on the front of super cubs, its not a trophy hunt, its a predator control effort. Killin them wolves from the ground, from the air, heck underwater, as long as they reduce the number of wolves thats all that matters. I have seen first hand what too many wolves in a given area are capable of, when you see 20 cows in a 10 day hunt and not one of them is accompanied by calves, something bad is going on.

Guys, can we please keep this one civil? We're getting dangerously close to flaming individuals here instead of discussing ideas.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Who cares if they do have gatlin guns mounted on the front of super cubs, its not a trophy hunt, its a predator control effort. Killin them wolves from the ground, from the air, heck underwater, as long as they reduce the number of wolves thats all that matters. I have seen first hand what too many wolves in a given area are capable of, when you see 20 cows in a 10 day hunt and not one of them is accompanied by calves, something bad is going on.

Those hunters are dishing out at least $30/hr if they own their own plane and $250 / hr if they charter a wolve pelt sells for what $80 maybe you think they are doing it for civic duty? Its a trophy hunt. The only way this will work is if the wolves are a) decimated like they were in the lower 48 leading to the rise of the coyote or b) almost decimated on a yearly basis and seeing as we can't meet the quota for one year how are we gonna do it every year from now on? The best thing about the hunt is that it might get people to boycott Alaska which would be great because there are too many tourists and their money doesn't stay in AK for the most part.

BTW I thought hunting should have been opened in Pack Creek for bears just because I despise bear veiwers and bear veiwing companies much more than I despise trophy hunters as a human aquainted bear is a dangerous bear.

I happen to have a friend that has done this kind of chore we speak of, and a shotgun is the gun of choice, some of it is done for fun and some of it is done to sell furs, he's lived in Alaska for 35 years, he isn't doing it for the trophy factor, he's killed lots of wolves he does it cauz he can more than anything. And mid to late winter wolf pelts sell for significantly more than $80.

someones got a plane thatt they can fly for 30 bucks an hour?? is it an ultralight?

Powder monkey, would you please let me know who is selling winter wolf pelts for $80? I'd sure be interested!

Man this turned into a thread i didnt expect it to. I just wanted to pass along information about a campaign of emotion to try to stop hunting activities in alaska which is being funded and fought by outsiders. They may be trying to stop certian pred control now, but dont you think their objectives if they win this battle will move on to other battles. They use emotional statements to make certian activities sound dirty and disgusting. Not all hunters are rich. Not all hunters are greedy. Not all hunters hunt for fun.
    What is scarey is how unified these NON PROFIT campaigns are. We cant even have a conversation on this website without people attacking eachother.
    I also enjoy how they keep reiterating how their cause is tax deductible and thier work is charity work so give money, give as much as you can. Doesnt seem right to me.
    I wonder if my girlfriend is on some sort of anti-hunter list because she gave money years back to world wildlife foundation. Since then I think I have impressed upon her to question their tactics, and all other organizations. What are their true motives? What is your money actually doing. She does not dontate anymore, and she is a hunter and fisherwoman.

Be glad Sarah Palin won or you'd have a pack of anti-hunting fools and liars on the Board of Game and sitting up on the 3rd floor in Juneau.

Think I'm kidding?

Wildlife Alliance and Defenders of Wildlife are notorious anti-hunters and stop at nothing to promote their agenda.

On a national level the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS - don't ever confuse them with the animal shelter!) has merged with the Friends of Animals + the Doris Day Animal League to become a $120+ million annual anti-hunting machine. A recent lawsuit (NEPA claim) from these guys shut down hunting on 38 national wildlife refuges. A multi million dollar campaign ended dove hunting in Michigan. A state wide black bear hunt was stopped in NJ.

These people are menace.

In state I strongly suggest you join the Alaska Outdoor Council
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org

Fight all that would destroy America's hunting heritage.

All these anti-hunter groups are joined at the hip. They'll make claims that they aren't when it's convenient - don't believe it - they lie all the time. Just check to see if their mouth is open - if it is they're probably lying.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Actually, they can shoot wolves from the air. Not that I disagree with it, but just so you know the facts. They don't have gatling guns, but 10 guages and AR-15 haning out the window.
    Thanks for the correction. I still don't have a problem with it when we're talking about a predator control issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Powder monkey, would you please let me know who is selling winter wolf pelts for $80? I'd sure be interested!

My bad that was for coyotes I stand corrected

Powder Monkey, I'm sure me and all the other trappers in this country would like to know who is PAYING 80 bucks for winter yote hides. Every yote trapper will be at their door.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast