Thread: Tannery Advice

Default Tannery Advice

Just curious what tanneries you guys perfer? Has anyone had any luck in-state getting your hides done?

Also, any advice on getting the stink out of wolf pelts? We have picked up a couple and the odor is pretty bad. Does anyone wash their hides?

Thanks.

You caught 2 wolves? Where's the pics? How about some "how to" info?
    If your going to wash pelts, do it before you stretch and dry. I've washed fox in the washing machine.
    I read differing reports on tanneries in state. Some good, some bad. Moyles in Idaho is about as good as any.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Wolves

I have heard of guys washing beaver pelts in a washing machine. Do you think a wolf hide would fit in my wife's new front-load washer

How do you get them dry afterwards? I have heard good things about Moyle but I believe they only accept dried hides?

I don't have any pix but need to get some if we get any more... Two females, one big - one smallish. We have just been snaring some areas / trails where they have been running. They seem to rotate through every week or so.Much like your snaring for fox and lynx. That was a good post by the way, I learned a lot from it and snared a fox the week after.

Thanks.

One wolf hide should fit in about any normal size washer. You can just hang to dry, or put it in the dryer on "no heat" or "air dry". The fur will dry but not the skin.
    What's wrong with drying the skin to send to moyles? Alot safer than trying to ship frozen.

I am told theres a tannery in Anchorage on Minesota and Tudor by SBS that does some good tannery work. I forget their name but I will get it next time I talk to my neighbor.

I am very interested in a decent tanner in Anchorage since I hope to take some kind of fur animal this winter. Failure is not an option....

I have heard of the "do it yourself" tanning kits. It includes a few chemicals and a roller brush. The problem is fleshing and breaking the hide. Does anyone have any information on these? Or, even better, is it practical to tan a hide with the brains of the anaimal?

Its Alpha Furs. I've taken hides in over the last two years that I obtained at the fur rondy auction. I had no problems.

Default brain tanning

H20 Gremlin,

I was lurking on another forum recently and came across this link:

http://www.braintan.com/articles/Bil...illyskins1.htm

I've never tried it before so I can't offer any first hand experience. One of the side buttons gives some information on brain tanning furs.

Default Brain Tan

This looks pretty cool - I might try it with a hide or two. We are doing fairly well with our line though and have too many critters to handle ourselves. We dry our water animals but the rest are salted and in the freezer. Alpha is a logical choice due to location and shipping but I have heard some iffy stories about them. Has anyone else? I just heard there is a place up in Shishmaref - does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Thanks for the input.

in my days of trapping,(now semi retired from it)i used to wash my oilly beavers (and not so nice smelling wolfs) in a wash tub with wisk,it work great,hand dried as best i could and streched or salted and froze,if streching one wants to rotate sides being dried as to get the fur dried out,this adds a little more time in the drying but produces a nice pelt,and saves a guy from getting clobdered from the old lady for useing the wash machine

From my vast experience reading hunting and trapping forums...........seems like every tannery around has those who like and those who dislike, it.
    I suspect shishmaref's work depends on if there are enough employees there during the time period. They can produce a good tan if everything is working right.

Alpha has a minumum order, it has gone up every year for the last several. I believe last year it was $500. He should just quit doing small stuff since he doesn't like it anyway, and stick to capes and rugs as I've heard he does them well. I have had mixed results from them.

Default moyle mink tannery is awesome, quick, cheap

moyletannery.com

they are great...i tanned a bear for 25 bucks a linear ft...150 for 6ft bear!...25 bucks for xl beaver and they were so nice, everyone says, "i want that for a pillow case!"....
    and they are quick from nov to end of april...they they get flooded with the professional trapper whom sends his in all at once...i got my beaver fox and bear back in two months and then paid the extra 10 bucks or so onmy fox, beaver adn got them back in 30 days!!!!!!oooor tanned in 30 and put in mail..back in 1.5 months!

scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Default Tannery

Another good tannery to consider is Furs For Fun (Hector Ramirez) in West Rupert , Idaho. Guarantees you get your own furs back, does a great job with the tanning and, even with shipping, beats all the in-state tanneries. Our Trappers Association (Alaska Frontier Trappers Association) members get wholesale prices from him on our pelts (wolves - $35. fox - $12, marten/mink - $8) and he offers price breaks on smaller quantities than Moyles (muskrat, etc.). You can check out his web site at www.fursforfun.com.
    Rick