Thread: What do you think about Kimber rifles?

Default What do you think about Kimber rifles?

Hi guys,
    I have few rifles but am trying to downsize to only 3 , I know it is tough to do that but I have to.

I am looking for light weight,stainless and synthetic.
    I do like straight stock without cheek peace.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you,

Delta Junction AK

I can hear the footsteps coming...

While some folks will talk of quality issues and whatnot- I either own or have owned several. I've been very happy with all of them.

I'm not dismissing the issues several folks here have had, just I haven't had any personally. I would buy another one without reservation.

Man thats a real can of worms that you have opened. Do a search of this forum and others and see what other folks have to say about them. I won't be buying anymore. My montana was a turd. Kimber customer service is the worst I have ever experienced.

Palmer, AK

I have two Montanas, a .30-06 and my wife's .300 WSM. Both have been fine for me.

If you can do without synthetic, you may want to look at the Ruger Compact line in stainless and laminate. That's what I'm going to buy my daughter in .260 Remington.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Kimber customer service

Had a pistol that the frame broke and had all kind of issues getting them to repair it. It turns out they quit manufacturing the pistol for this reason, and at the time it was purchased they had a life time warranty. I finally got the pistol replaced with a standard .45 1911 and they no longer give life time warranty. I will not purchase another weapon from them.

Default Kimber Rifles--O.K. With Me

Hello--I know what you are going through in trying to at least reduce the numbers of rifles. I can't seem to land on that "one rifle" for me. I had that rifle when I lived in Wyoming--a 1964 Remington 700 ADL in .30:06. It killed everything I ever shot it at, and with authority. I shot it well, and I was real comfortable with it. Well. a little knowledge definitely proved to be a dangerous thing, and after owning and shooting many other rifles, the two Kimbers that I have had personal experience with have been just fine, and either one would qualify for the short list. My friend has a Montana in .308--it weighs 5 lbs. 4 oz. empty without the scope or mounts, and he easily found a hunting load for it that shoots around 1" five shot groups at a hundred yards. The action and feeding are very smooth, never any problems of any kind. The other one is a model 8400 in .325 WSM. Action and feeding are even smoother than the stainless Montana, and it shoots very well, too.

For those who have problems with the Kimbers, I can empathize--I bought a Remington 700 Titanium in .30:06 that not only had excessive headspace right out of the box, but wouldn't shoot any load under a 4" group. That is unacceptable quality--period. Especially in a $1000 plus rifle. To Remington's credit, they did finally replace the rifle, after trying unsuccessfully to get that one to shoot.

My guess is that any of the "manufactured" guns will occasionally have issues. When maximum tolerances/specs in multiple parts are reached, combinations can just result in bad shooting. I am not trying to excuse anyone from releasing a poor quality firearm, just trying to understand how it happens. I know that the money people won't go for test firing every single one--hell, it would increase the cost of manufacture by $3 per gun, and would only eliminate 80% of the lemons.

I sure would like to build a .338-06 out of one of their actions. I just don't want to buy a complete rifle to part out for it. I think their action design is real good, and from what I have seen, most of their rifles are pretty darn good.

Best Regards,

When Kimber gets it right they are second to none in terms of factory rifles. I have a 8400 Montana and would not hesitate to buy another. In fact I'll likely buy a 84 Montana for a sheep rifle next year. That said I can understand people's feelings toward them. When you pay that much for a rifle you shouldn't have to worry about quality control or Kimber's customer service not being very good. I'm willing to take that chance as I've seen their rifles at their best and I think it's worth it to me. They have a very nice trigger, smooth bolt, excellent recoil pad, control round feed, 3 position safety, and all at a very moderate weight and reasonable price. I've been told that most of the problems with the rifles were with the blued/wood models and not the Montanas. I have no idea if this is true, but I've spoke to a number of others who own Monatas and love them as I do.

Default What do i know?

At last count around here we got 25 pea shooters.
    Some new, some old (mostly old) and made by a wide range of companys.
    remington, winchester, s+w,ruger,mossberg,hawes,kel-tec,taurus,skb,marlin,walther,browning, jc higgins and one little german revolver that has me fooled.
    We don't have but one Kimber in the herd, its a Gold match 1911.
    I can say without reservation (my unprofessional opion) that it is the finest piece of machinery in the safe.
    I can't see a company that turns out a pistol of that quality and then drops the ball on the rifle. I would buy one just because it does say Kimber on the side.......

Delta Junction

Default Kimbers.....

they sure do look good in the gazillion magazine articles.

Anchorage - boat still lives in Juneau

Default It all depends...

Others have said it but I'll repeat - any factory rifle might turn out to be a lemon. I've had very good and very bad from various manufacturers. Every rifle is a crapshoot.

My one Kimber Montana (a 7mm-08) is a very nice rifle. I bought it used and took a chance after reading all the various threads on this and many other forums. Previous owner said it shot. It does.

The action is smooth. It feeds fine. With handloads I've developed for it it shoots well under an inch. I've never shot factory ammo through it.

The Montana is the nicest carrying rifle I own - rivaled only by old tang safety Ruger Ultralight. It shoulders and points very nicely. I just returned from 6 weeks of elk hunting in Idaho and Montana. I took both the Kimber and a custom .280 AI which has accounted for multiple elk including one nice bull at 400 yds. I love the .280 but preferred to hunt with the Kimber. It did it's job and I drove home with elk meat.

I like my 7-08 Montana so much I'm planning to buy one in .300 WSM.

Palmer, AK

We have one Kimber in the stable at the moment (a 1911 ultra carry II) but that will likely change in the not too distant (I hope) future. I am hoping to have a new light weight Kimber 308 in hand by the next time I take to the sheep mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We have one Kimber in the stable at the moment (a 1911 ultra carry II) but that will likely change in the not too distant (I hope) future. I am hoping to have a new light weight Kimber 308 in hand by the next time I take to the sheep mountains.
    LuJon, come on now we discussed this. No you can't borrow mine I'll be needing it during that time frame.

Fairbanks, Alaska

Default Tikka t-3 "big Boar"

I don't own a Kimber, but I sure have read a lota lousy reveiws for them. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a Tikka T-3 "big Boar" model. The "Big boar" model is slightly lighter and shorter than its big brother the T-3, weighs in at a little over 5 lbs and has an adjustable trigger and they guarantee a 3 shot, 1 in. group, out of the box. The only complaint i have ever read about the Tikka's is how hard they kick. They do. Paid $420 for mine off GB for a NIB T-3. The Sports Authority had them on sale last summer for $499.
    IMHO if your thinking about spending the $ on a Kimber, spend a few extra dollars and look at a COOPER. Not really sure if they have a lightweight synthetc model, but mine sure is acurate with pretty much any load i've tried......

Southern Tier, New York

I have a 84M in 338 Federal. No issues and has been very accurate with 180 gr Accubond factory loads. I have'nt reloaded for it yet.

I saw on Guns America recently some Sako 85's stainless/laminate in 338 Federal selling for $750 (recently went up to $785). These rifles usually sell for $1400. Anyway I talked my brother into one, and he is one happy camper! Not super light, I think 7.25 lbs, but, slick and accurate.

Talking kimber

I have a Montana in .325 WSM and it shoots well. No issues as of yet. It was a little picky with loads but once I found a good one it shot fine. There are a lot of fine rifles out there. I would find one that you shoot well and go for it. I also have a Remington XCR in a .300 WSM and really like that one too. Shoots really well. But I have a friend with a Tikka T3 and I really like those too. For the money, they are fine rifles. I wouldn't hesitate buying one. I also have a Browning A-bolt in a 7MM and its a great shooter as well. I haven't tried out the X-bolt yet but I hear that they aren't to bad. Just find one that works for you and stick with it. Good luck.