Thread: How do I kill those f^#*ing wolves?

Default How do I kill those f^#*ing wolves?

I have at least one pack of very destructive wolves all over my family moose camp. I've watched predator quest and have seen how Les Johnson does it....is it really that easy? Can I just go out there and call and they come running? I would like to take a class on it but your (member) advise is probably just as good. I have found so many moose carcasses, and I hear them every day,so let me have it, I wan't to learn how to kill wolves.

I'm pretty sure that some folks with the ATA put on a wolf trapping clinic every winter. My brother attended some years back and said it was very much worth his while.

Default Wolf Trapping School

The Alaska Trappers Association puts on a Wolf trapping school every year. This year it is in Fairbanks. The school is usually held sometime in Jan. Feb.
    Watch the ATA website http://www.alaskatrappers.org/events.html for the Dates and location to be posted.

Where abouts are the problem wolves.

Iam going to grab my shoes and do some calling tomorrow, going to start arounf the 20 mile area

Default Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    is it really that easy? Can I just go out there and call and they come running?
    Just a tiny bit smarter and spookier than coyotes I'd definately go with the trapping school as suggested by others.
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 11-23-2009 at 17:01.

There is the wolf school as mentioned above but also a great resources for those who can't do the school is the Alaska Trappers Association Wolf Trapping manual it is an excellent resource to show you how to trap and snare those wolves especially on their kills. The biggest thing with trapping and snaring wolves is remaining clean and keeping disturbances to a minimum. If you are in an area that hasn't been trapped before the first one or two may come rather easy but once the packed gets tuned into the fact that traps and snares are not good they can really challenge you. Have fun good luck and buy the book it is great!! You can find it on the associations web site
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I wish I was up there, I would be real interested in helping you out..

Default trapping or pred hunting schools near ANC?

Keep us posted if there are any trapping or preditor hunting schools or seminars in the ANC area, I would be very interested in attending one!!

~~LOL!!~~

It IS that easy!
    Go out and put up your best howel, just like ol' Lon Chaney, and do it again about 10 minutes later.
    If you are in ther territorry, they will come for a "Look see"

Works for me, time and again.
    Then I run down the ones I didnt drop when they showed up.

Is there really trapping/hunting schools??
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Exclamation here u go...

http://www.alaskatrappers.org/ and i aint going to say anything about taking your dog/lab out and trying him to a tree and hiding 50yards away while he barks and crys at u....PAY .. attention or......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

wolves have an extremely large territory, so if your serious about killing wolves use all methods available trapping,snareing & calling, traps & snares work 24hrs round the clock while calling you've gotta be there when they are working through your area other wise you'll miss em & it could takem up to several weeks to work back through, set the trails going to & from a wolf killed moose or caribou & try not to set directly at the carcass as the odds of catching a nontarget animal or bird greatly increase & if you do get a wolf at the carcass the rest of the pack may kill and eat their fellow pack member & avoid that area the rest of the season, by setting away from the carcass your chances of getting more of the pack increase as they will stick around the area longer enabeling your snares & traps more time to work before they become wise to loosing a few pack members, every wolf & coyote you take means a few more moose,caribou & sheep calves get to live dont,forget to take your limit of blackbears ea season also as they are also major contributors to calf & fawn mortality.