Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai conditions

Default Kenai conditions

Happy Winter everyone. I'm thinking of heading out on the drift boat Friday, right after Turkey Day, Sportsmans to Jim's. Has anyone seen what it's like down there? Been cold, but if it hits 30, I'll be inclined to wear shorts and a tee shirt (joke).

So, if you happen to be driving by, I would really appreciate it if you stop for a second, sip the coffee, and look at the river. Thanks. Dream happy fishing dreams everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    Happy Winter everyone. I'm thinking of heading out on the drift boat Friday, right after Turkey Day, Sportsmans to Jim's. Has anyone seen what it's like down there? Been cold, but if it hits 30, I'll be inclined to wear shorts and a tee shirt (joke).

So, if you happen to be driving by, I would really appreciate it if you stop for a second, sip the coffee, and look at the river. Thanks. Dream happy fishing dreams everyone.

Was wondering the same thing today, hit "loop" on the Russian River Webcam and saw somebody launching their Driftboat today, wish I was fortunate enought to own one, would be a blast just to wet a line right about now...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I drove the that entire stretch of river on Saturday. Saw it from the highway, looked pretty quiet and very inviting. No significant snow, no ice edges, nobody fishing. What do you want to know?

Default Kenai Conditions

Thanks folks. That's it. I assumed that it iced up on the sides. It was about 12 below in Anchorage, and heard that it was even colder down by the river.

Right now it's 45 at my house with high wind. Now if the wind lays down...

Default It's a nice float

You'll have a beautiful float, just don't expect to find the numbers of fish you see in the early fall. My last float was Dec. 10th last year. We caught a couple of small fish and froze our everythings, but it was still a good day. If I could find the time, I'd still fish it!

Default was there sunday

Fished it sunday from 9am till 2pm and did not pull in a single fish, The water was a little murky, but very fishable and floatable. Didnt bump once which is always nice. But a little surprised for this time of year, usually its not a ghost town (fish wise) till january or febuarary. Im definently going to wait till my annual winter solstice to try again! best of luck to you!
    Go Fish

I fished from shore yesterday. No bites but I did see a few fish rising. It was in the high 20's low 30's. I had the entire river to myself. Good times.

Default Quiet time

I would rather spend the day on the river with nobody else, with less fish, than with plane motors, boat motors, yelling, trash, hundreds of people at every turn during the summer when there are more fish. That's just me though. Build a fire, cook some sausages, pull the oars and actually hear the water. Oh yea, feel a tug...

I can't wait. Gotta eat lots of turkey first.

Default i hear ya

I hear you fisher but I cant say I like to freeze my ass off staring at water, as much as i like chillin shirtless on the boat and actually drinking beer instead of hot chocolate, hangin out on the boat with my girlfriend that will actually come out then, and last but not least..... actually seeing some fish. I love the tug and the screamin reel more than ice in my eyes.

None the less peace, serenity and solitude is irreplaceable.
    Go Fish

i guess i might rather fish this time of year sometimes as well. maybe no unethical and rude so called fisherman will anchor his boat 60 feet to my right in the middle of the drift at the seam when he had 80 yrds in either direction

i guess i might rather fish this time of year sometimes as well. maybe no unethical and rude so called fisherman will anchor his boat 60 feet to my right in the middle of the drift at the seam when he had 80 yrds in either direction. I was fishing on foot. If i were to make a 50ft cast my fly could have swung under his anchor rope but he wouldn't budge even after i asked him nicely if he could give me a bit more room. When he first floated by, his girlfriend was working the oars and they floated 30 ft right in front of me. I just kind of smiled and laughed it off inside, no big deal...but they didn't even say sorry or excuse us...Then when he anchored slightly below me i thought he didn't care about nobody but himself.

His first remarks were when sh aking his head no that he didn't come to the river to be told what to do. Nice, so the heated words exchange took fold. Never had i ever expected to come across someone like him. calling me an old man, and to go buy your own boat that way i can fish where ever i want.

Even if i had a boat again, i don't play by his horsecrap rules. this guy has a black drift boat with red trim. had his girlfriend with him and they were casting spoons into the channel. after the exchange, i left bewildered to what started out as a very peacful day.

Default Sad, but true.

I've seen similar altercations myself. The problem with the number of people fishing the Kenai now is not really with the number of people, but with the attitudes of many of them. I've mentioned this before, but I was shocked when I fished in Montana a few years ago after a decade or so away. I was fishing some of the most famous rivers in the country, and had been told how crowded they had become since I left. The first thing I noticed was that those people really don't know what crowded is! And the second thing was that in the areas that really were a bit crowded, the mood of the fishery was completely different than the Kenai on a busy weekend. More than once, as a fisherman was leaving a hole that we were walking into, he would stop, talk to us for a few minutes, tell us what flies worked/ didn't work, and in a couple of cases, we were even directed as to exactly where a certain big fish was holding that had snubbed the fisherman; no cagey avoiding the good stuff in some selfish attempt to save the fish for later. The fishermen down there seem to actually enjoy the culture/society/camaraderie of fly-fishing. It's not a competition to see who can get there first and stick all the fish.

I'm sorry your day was ruined by some jerk, and I feel your pain. Whatever happened to fly-fishing as a peaceful and relaxing pursuit?

Man honker I wouldn’t expect that this time of year, especially when you almost literally have the river to yourself. I like to get out late in the year for the solitude of it all being blest to fish this world class river & not see a soul……. nothing but the water lapping the side of the boat sneaking up on those bows waiting for a rod to bend, yip everything melts away with not a care…… fish-on

I floated the upper river today, not another person in sight. The weather was mild making the trip very enjoyable and I picked up a nice bow during the little time I spent fishing. It was more of a float and relax trip, plus putting in at the bridge and taking out at Jims Landing give me little time to stop and fish my favorite holes. Nevertheless, any time your able to get out and wet a line, I consider it a successful trip. I definitely encourage everyone to get out and do one last float while the temps aren't too bad and before the fish head the lakes.

Dan

Default wheres the picture?

post up a pic you know the deal.
    Go Fish

Dont worry, its coming tomorrow!

Dan

Default Skilak to Bings

I got a few calls this weekend to do shuttles from Skilak to Bings.
    My son said he talked to a guy getting out at Bings that caught his first in his life 30 plus incher. but it was slow fishing, and the buddy heater they had in the boat quit on them about Renfro hole area .
    I have a shuttle sunday morning and will ask him to call me when he gets done with the drift..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thats good to hear about the fish, not so much the heater. I had another buddy the fished the middle today and he said the fishing was good and he caught several fish over 24inches.

Dan

i appreciate these reports. the last 3 days i was thinkin about heading out but being on foot i never caught much all summer in sterling, only in the upper did i find success. boat or no boat, it's time to enjoy it. I'm fishing for the nex 4 days just to get out again. a 30" incher in late Nov? great news.

We did well on the upper last Dec. One 28" plus a half dozen 16's. We floated it Dec 20th. We are making the run again this year on the the 19th of December. 2nd annual winter solstice float. Anyone else interested?
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast