Thread: 5 month old yellow lab questions

Default 5 month old yellow lab questions

So, I have this 5 month old yellow lad pure bred pup that we hope to train into a great retriever. We brought him home at 7 weeks. We are training him to be a disciplined obedient waterfowl retriever.(I lost too many birds last year due to the limitations of my waders)He doesn't at all mind the gun-he's been out in the field on three trips.and to the gun range a few times prior to the field. He swims well and always has his nose down when we are walking. He's really good at the sit stay come commands. I can leave him on a stay command and walk away 50-60 yards and wait and then command come.--that makes me happy He also heels well.

So, as a new dog owner I have a couple of hopefully basic questions that you all may be able to help me out with.

1)What do we do about the whining-like when he's in the kennel in the garage and also when we are just sittin in the blind waiting--he just whines and eventually quits. So do i discipline or will he just grow out of this. I could really see this being a problem when he's older and the lull times between birds gets long at times.

2)SHould I be kenneling him at night in the house with us or in the garage?? He usually whines and barks and gets me up at about 5-6 each morning faithfully--except it was 4:15 this morning I thinkk because he had to go out and we didn't exercise him enough the night before.

3)He isn't all that excited to retrieve. I throw the soft red dummy(10-20 yds) with duck wing attached and command ok or fetch em up and he'll do ok sometimes but a lot of times he'll just run over to it and sniff it and saunter back to me. i think i just have to get him more excited to play the game. I was trying the small plastic knobby dummies from cabelas but a friend told me the pup won't like it cause of the hardness and his tender mouth while he's losing his teeth during these months.

4) A)He puts everything in his mouth ). trash-candy wrappers-sticks--leaves, etc---I usually just have to tell him no and he drops the item--I hope this goes away with age but this shouldn't be allowed. any help in this area would be much appreciated. B) I know he swallows some of the "junk" he finds and it gives him an upset stomach. a friend said a little pepto bismol diluted with water can help--any feedback would be great.

5) Should i be using the whistle commands as well as voice? i know the water dog book endorses the whistle and i can see it has its advantages especially in the wind and when ole knotthead can't see you.

I know I have lot of questions but i really do want a great bird dog, not just a pooch that I support.
    Any helpful tips from the experienced dog owners would be greatly appreciated--the wife and I refuse to have an undisciplined and unskilled dog. thanks for all the good advice.

1 Start introducing the "quiet" command. At first it will seem unproductive but in the long run it does work. I might hold the muzzle shut and command quiet or pluck them in the nose. You have to be quick and do it the instant you hear a whine.
    In a kennel I use a spray bottle of water. Unless you have a dog that loves to be sprayed and thinks it's a game when you spray them. Use citronella. (Citrus) Available from most pet stores. Same thing you have to catch them in the act and command "quiet" as you spray them.

2 First off I take away all water at about 8pm. So they can't tank up before going to bed. Most pups will wake you up at about the time you mentioned. That's a good dog for doing so. As he matures he will last longer.

3 and 4 No matter what a puppy has in there mouth I never say "no" to them. Even if it is something they shouldn't have. I simply just call them to me(calmly) and take what they have and give them a chew or play toy I want them to have. Don't play into the chase game. Just have something that you can entice the pup to come to you with then give it to them in exchange for what they have.
    Don't worry about his retrieving. Have several items to choose from for right now. Use what he likes. Later on as he matures he shouldn't have any issues about using retrieving dummies. If he won't retrieve the plastic dummies......that can be addressed later on. For now just get him retrieving and enjoying it even if it isn't what you want him to retrieve. Build a working relationship with him and the willingness to work for you is most important at this age.

5 Teaching whistle is fine. But make sure your verbal commands are understood first. Mainly , coming when called and that includes with distractions. A whistle recall is a great way to start. For the dogs in my basic program I use a trailing whistle. About 3 or 4 short toots.

Be patient and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    So, I have this 5 month old yellow lad pure bred pup that we hope to train into a great retriever. We brought him home at 7 weeks. We are training him to be a disciplined obedient waterfowl retriever.(I lost too many birds last year due to the limitations of my waders)He doesn't at all mind the gun-he's been out in the field on three trips.and to the gun range a few times prior to the field. He swims well and always has his nose down when we are walking. He's really good at the sit stay come commands. I can leave him on a stay command and walk away 50-60 yards and wait and then command come.--that makes me happy He also heels well.

So, as a new dog owner I have a couple of hopefully basic questions that you all may be able to help me out with.

1)What do we do about the whining-like when he's in the kennel in the garage and also when we are just sittin in the blind waiting--he just whines and eventually quits. So do i discipline or will he just grow out of this. I could really see this being a problem when he's older and the lull times between birds gets long at times.

2)SHould I be kenneling him at night in the house with us or in the garage?? He usually whines and barks and gets me up at about 5-6 each morning faithfully--except it was 4:15 this morning I thinkk because he had to go out and we didn't exercise him enough the night before.

3)He isn't all that excited to retrieve. I throw the soft red dummy(10-20 yds) with duck wing attached and command ok or fetch em up and he'll do ok sometimes but a lot of times he'll just run over to it and sniff it and saunter back to me. i think i just have to get him more excited to play the game. I was trying the small plastic knobby dummies from cabelas but a friend told me the pup won't like it cause of the hardness and his tender mouth while he's losing his teeth during these months.

4) A)He puts everything in his mouth ). trash-candy wrappers-sticks--leaves, etc---I usually just have to tell him no and he drops the item--I hope this goes away with age but this shouldn't be allowed. any help in this area would be much appreciated. B) I know he swallows some of the "junk" he finds and it gives him an upset stomach. a friend said a little pepto bismol diluted with water can help--any feedback would be great.

5) Should i be using the whistle commands as well as voice? i know the water dog book endorses the whistle and i can see it has its advantages especially in the wind and when ole knotthead can't see you.

I know I have lot of questions but i really do want a great bird dog, not just a pooch that I support.
    Any helpful tips from the experienced dog owners would be greatly appreciated--the wife and I refuse to have an undisciplined and unskilled dog. thanks for all the good advice.
    Hey Rossco,

I think I ran into you the a couple weeks back at the engineer's cutoff access? I was the guy with the chocolate lab and pile of ducks

Anyway, if you keep at it I'm sure he'll progress nicely. My pups on her second year and doing great....well, I'm not that picky, but she does a good job and has had some great retrieves this season. I would have lost a lot of birds without her. She has mellowed out a lot from last year, but still has some puppy left in her.

Force fetching seemed to really help, as did lots of practice during the off season with buoy launchers, frozen birds, and scent. Labs are eating machines...food goes a loooong way in training them.

Also, stay away from sqeeky toys and chew toys. You don't want you pup to get in the habit of munching down hard on stuff...unless you like duck-burger.

I think wetlands retiever nailed it. Right now work on your working relationship with the dog, worry about the other stuff later. When he's a year or so start force fetching and really get on to him. Get a book if you don't already have one.

After my pup got ahold of a few cripples, she's been a duck-fiend ever since.
    Nice Marmot.

you might wanna put the retrieving on hold for a while until his adult teeth are completely in. Retrieving a dummy or wing etc could be painful for the pup during this stage and the last thing you want to do is associate sending your dog on a retrieve and not bringing anything back with him. At this point every retrieve should be a successful one so give the pup some time and you should be back in the game before too long.

My yellow lab is younger than yours so I won't address all of your questions. I think that you have received lots of good advice already. I just want to encourage you to give the "quiet" command a try. My wife and I used it for just a couple of nights with our puppy when she was very young, and thats all it took to get her quiet at night. We would grab her around the snout and squeeze just a little for some discomfort, and then command "quiet". She got it quick. Also, my girl wakes me up in her kennel every morning around 6 to go out. I think that is very normal. Good luck with your pup.

JP

Lots of good advice & tips! If your pup isn't teething & not excited about retrieving, I'd back off on the steadiness. Send him when the bumper is still in the air or just as it hits the ground -- and make it fun. We sometimes tend to be too big of control freaks It's easy to take the drive & desire to retrieve out of a pup, especially if they're not all that gung ho about retrieving to begin with. It's much harder to put the drive back into a pup. Think I'd also minimize the number of marks & only do a few per session, and end with him excited & itching to do more.

Have fun & best of luck! Please keep us posted too.

Karen

My lab loves(d) the Frisbee. We get the soft rubber kind and not the hard plastic(hard on teeth). From the time he was a pup he loved chasing the Frisbee. We would mix it up. Sometimes he would get to chase it at the throw and try and catch it. This was play time. Other times he would be under the stay command and just get to watch it and then get released. I would also have him see me with it and then throw it out of his view and then have him find it with hand commands.

To this day he will carry his Frisbee around and bump me with it when he wants to play.

I am not sure anything I did was right but he loves me to play Frisbee with him and always brings it back. If I throw it on the roof I am required to get it, even if it is snow covered. He will not quit looking.