Thread: Kenai ice fishing report

Default Kenai ice fishing report

Started the weekend out on Johnson lake. Ice was 9" thick. Fishing was good, with one nice fish.

Sunday I headed to Cabin lake. Fishing was poor. one Sculpin and that was it. Ice was 11-1/2" thick

Ran out of Propane while I was at Cabin lake So I ran into Nikiski to the general store and pick up a couple bottels of propane. Beings I was on that end of town. I decided to go try Island lake. Fishing was Fair. One ok Char. Ice was 8-1/2" thick.
    Get this
    That Char had a piece of Mono wrapped around it, rubbing on its dorsal fin. then running THREW the belly. Witch, I thought was very wierd. Never seen any thik like it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Spirit lake

Went to Spirit lake yesterday and today.Ice was 9"-10"
    Got a late start Saturday(not my fault)got out about noon. and between the two of us managed only 6-8 fish total. They seemed to only come in briefly take one swipe at our bait then leave if you were not on the ball when they arrived you didn't get a second chance.
    Today (11/22/09) was a whole other story. Drilled some more holes in the same area as yesterday and marked some fish on the flasher about 100 yds from the spot we had fished previously.was out by myself so I got an early start.
    Ended up catching about 25-30 Bows and Kokanees.
    Biggest Kokanee was about 15"
    Biggest bow was 20" and very fat. Also a nice fighter.
    Lost what was probably a bigger bow after a 1 minute fight when it spit the hook. same as yesterday though as they came in you caught 1 or 2 then they left. They just were not hanging around as they usually do on this lake.usually you can catch 5-10 fish before they move on but not lately.
    Good Luck Fishing
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Went to Spirit lake yesterday and today.Ice was 9"-10"
    Got a late start Saturday(not my fault)got out about noon. and between the two of us managed only 6-8 fish total. They seemed to only come in briefly take one swipe at our bait then leave if you were not on the ball when they arrived you didn't get a second chance.
    Today (11/22/09) was a whole other story. Drilled some more holes in the same area as yesterday and marked some fish on the flasher about 100 yds from the spot we had fished previously.was out by myself so I got an early start.
    Ended up catching about 25-30 Bows and Kokanees.
    Biggest Kokanee was about 15"
    Biggest bow was 20" and very fat. Also a nice fighter.
    Lost what was probably a bigger bow after a 1 minute fight when it spit the hook. same as yesterday though as they came in you caught 1 or 2 then they left. They just were not hanging around as they usually do on this lake.usually you can catch 5-10 fish before they move on but not lately.
    Good Luck Fishing

Right on! thanks for the update. I love that lake. Had realy good luck out ther this summer. Fairly new to the kenai so I thought I would try something new for a change, but looks like I will have to give old faithfull a try to

Default Johnson Lk

Did you hike in, or snowmachine in to Johnson Lk? If snow-go, how was the trail?

Default He's talkin' about...

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Did you hike in, or snowmachine in to Johnson Lk? If snow-go, how was the trail?
    ... the Johnson Lake off of Tustumena Lake road. Drive in.