Thread: Orvis Clearwater 8wt

Default Orvis Clearwater 8wt

Has anyone ever used the orvis Clearwater ll fly rods? The 4pc 8wt looks like a pretty rod, being only 3.5 ounces. The other rod I was looking at in that price range ($200-$250) was the St. Croix Imperial. That also looks nice, but the color is kind of odd.
    Any info is appreciated.

Default Nothing Wrong with Orvis

However some people do have lower opinion of them I have had nothing but good luck with any Orvise product and they have always backed what I have purchased if anything went wrong.

Have you looked at TFO another respectable rod for a reasonable value with a great warranty.

I actually own a 9' 8wt TFO signature series rod, and it is by far the best 8wt i have seen in that price range ($120). The Problem is that the TFO is a 2-piece, which makes it hard to keep it from whacking bushes and trees when riding my bike on a small trail through the woods to get to my coho spot. With a 4-piece I can just tuck it into my backpack. My friend has a 9.5' 8wt TFO pro series that he uses for silvers, but I find it is too slow of an action to carry a size 2 Dolly Llama and some split shot a good distance. I Dont want to get the TiCr because of its weight (4.8 oz), and I dont prefer heavy rods. That is one of the main reasons I am looking at the Orvis or St. Croix rods (>4 oz.).
    Other than that, though, I love TFO rods, especially their finesse series.

Default teeny signature

you might like the fast action of the tfo jim teeny signature series. i really only like fast actions and the jim teeny series has it. I have the 9ft 7 wt which i'll be returning because of one snake guide that broke and will be upgrading to the 10ft 8wt. im no expert but it's good they used Teeny, in the designs for their fast action salmon trout steelhead rods. I think tfo's materials are as good as one could possibly ever expect although i hadn't dove into finding out every detail. One thing that comes to the mind is Lefty Kreh, is Lefty right? a legend within the fly fishign community and nobody I think within the fly fishing world would try to give him cheap materials for his name to be endorced.

I think many of us should give their rods a try. I have 2 loomis's. a 3piece 9wt salt water nautikos i bought in '99 and the 10 wt 3 piece crosscurrent that i purchased from Keith, at world wide angler in 2004. sure, fantastic looking and working rods and i love them. But my tfo feels great when casting. only i wish i had gone to an 8 for the bigger flies like the dali lama's. loomis also makes their Experience series under 270.00