Thread: casting conicals

Default casting conicals

I'm getting ready to visit family back east this week and thought I'd bring my dad a little present for his new flintlock. IF I get a chance to shoot his gun and get it sighted in, I'll take it out opening day of the Pennsylvania rifle deer season. It has been several years since I lived in whitetail country, but based on past experience both these conicals are great performers on deer.

I've usually had pretty good luck buying pure lead off Ebay for casting conicals. I see this time I was shipped some wheel weight lead mixed in (notice a few look "grayish" instead of silver in color).

360 grain Lee Minnies on the left, 365 grain T/C Maxis on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ought to make your dad real proud. I'm hoping you didn't cast any conicals with those wheelweights, but it sounds as though you know enough not to.

I did cast some with the wheelweights, just to compare them side by side. But then tossed 'em back in the melting pot, will make sinker out of them someday.

You sound like me! Gotta try it, just to see. The wheelweights never gave the accuracy I wanted, probably because they didn't "bump up" to bore size on firing like pure lead. LEE REAL conicals were impossible. With that large top band, you needed a hammer and a good swing to get them started in the bore. Fishing weights are good!

Default I've learned a little trick

when I go target practicing , I take along my lead catcher.
    It is a thick plate of lead, I formed in a large cookie sheet. I place my targets over the front of it and the rounds just accumulate right in it. Once in a while I remelt it and straiten it but for the most part it stays in tact. that way i'm not throwing lead away . only burning up gun powder and primers. even my pellet rounds remain in the plate an almost seem to meld right in on impact. some copper jaketed rounds at close range are a little rough on it ,but sense the copper melts at a higher temp it is easy to seperate. Of corse if you have it at the range and invite your friends to your target ,they add to your collection of lead. (and there is no dirt in it ). definately want to handle it with gloves and it's own box to carry it , but it is worth the efort in so many aspects.

Default The other half of the story....

What I meant to mention in my original post but forgot. Another reason for bringing my dad some home cast conicals is to pick his brain a bit about making a custom mold for me. My dad is the owner / operator of a tool and die shop. Being partly retired, he has plenty of time to tinker around and making neat things for his son Not sure if he'd actually be able to machine a bullet mold for me, but I'm sure he'd be willing to give it a shot.

So, what I've been thinking about is, if you could have a custom mold made to cast any design muzzleloader bullet you wanted, what would that design look like? I know there are already lots of good designs out there. I'm not looking to build a better mousetrap, just to build "my mousetrap." The Kid designed a custom mold last year, sure would love to see pictures of the projectiles it casts... My initial thoughts are to go on the heavy end, in the 450-475 range or so for a .50 caliber. I'm pretty fond of the Buffalo Bullet and Great Plains Bullet design.

What do others think? I know BrownBear will have some insight to provide

Happy Thanksgiving,

I doubt you need something this big, but all the 58 caliber shooters I know are hungry for a .575 version of the Lyman plains bullet. While you're at it, TC Maxi molds in .575 are scarce as hens teeth on the used market and command premium prices. A plains bullet in 45 caliber would certainly be useful too. Best thing about that configuration, you can pack in a lot of weight without getting too long to stabilize in standard medium- or fast-twist rates.

Default YUP!

[QUOTE=BrownBear;621232]ITC Maxi molds in .575 are scarce as hens teeth on the used market and command premium prices. QUOTE]

I've been looking for a TC Maxi Ball mold in .575 (555 grain) for a dog's age...just don't seem to be any around. If anyone has a line on one I'd be indebted for the referral....

You know Brownbear my TC 58 barrel came with the muzzle reamed out to ease the starting of hard boollits: "With that large top band, you needed a hammer and a good swing to get them started in the bore" That reaming of the muzzle sure helps a lot to get them straight and lined-up for the squishin in the other lands/grooves.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Yeah, my hunting pard has that (I think TC calls it QLA or QLR) recess on his Big Boar, but neither of mine have it. Actually the TC Maxi isn't so tough to seat. It's the LEE REAL that's the bugger. It has an oversized top driving band that actually engraves into the rifling when you seat the bullet. Dandy for accuracy, but you sure want to be casting from pure lead in order to get it down the bore!

BTW- I've seen a guy on fleabay that has one of the .575 Maxi molds, but rather than selling it, he's selling the Maxis. The price is great compared to those from TC, but I haven't ordered from him. Check him out if you can't find the mold.