Thread: Whats a 90 Salt Water Merc worth?

Default Whats a 90 Salt Water Merc worth?

My buddy is going to up grade to a 115 4 stroke. We were trying to figure out what a 10yr old low hours 2 stroke 90hp Salt Water Merc would be worth in the Anchorage area. Its in great shape and runs like a top he just need a few more ponies. Guys i need some help here so any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    My buddy is going to up grade to a 115 4 stroke. We were trying to figure out what a 10yr old low hours 2 stroke 90hp Salt Water Merc would be worth in the Anchorage area. Its in great shape and runs like a top he just need a few more ponies. Guys i need some help here so any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I don't know. But, five years back I bought a very good running Evinrude 115 for 1500 bucks to put on the back of my little ski boat. It included working controls and a good prop. I don't know if this hels much....but it is my experience. Good luck selling your motor.

I would not be surprised if you didn't sell it for at least 1300 bucks. I think it is all about the right buyer thou. With that said if your in a hurry to sell i wouldn't expect it to go on the high side very quickly. Hard to put a value on one without hours used and so forth.

Lightbulb whats to gain? gas usage ? no 2 cycle oil?

more wt with the 4 stroke..for 25 hp? i've been in both u can HARDLY tell the differnce... add the wt and u not gain a thing.....unless a good deal ("real good") he should move to a suz140 .. "same wt.." and about a 50% + increase in power... sell"in outboard stuff in the winter time can be slow...spring will bring max dollars...and the dealer will be sell'in his stock for max price to .(ie by new in winter! sell old as seasons come on...) many a time ive walked in on the last day of the year...cold as heck outside and got GREAT deals /cash talks bs walks........ your 90 should come in 1500/2000 range ,heck a prop is 140.00 a pop......my.02cents
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    more wt with the 4 stroke..for 25 hp? i've been in both u can HARDLY tell the differnce... add the wt and u not gain a thing.....unless a good deal ("real good") he should move to a suz140 .. "same wt.." and about a 50% + increase in power... sell"in outboard stuff in the winter time can be slow...spring will bring max dollars...and the dealer will be sell'in his stock for max price to .(ie by new in winter! sell old as seasons come on...) many a time ive walked in on the last day of the year...cold as heck outside and got GREAT deals /cash talks bs walks........ your 90 should come in 1500/2000 range ,heck a prop is 140.00 a pop......my.02cents
    Thanks you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Default out board and salt

If I were in the market for an out board motor there are several criteria I would hope to include.
    the control box and harness. those are not interchangable nor genaric.
    the results of a leak down test ,(not a compression test)
    and the results of the gear case integrety vacuum /pressure test
    also a KV test on the ignition system.
    It would be important to me too if it had been thuroughly winterized.
    and lastly , if the zink anodes are doing their job.
    If the motor can be run for the perspective buyer that would be a plus as well.
    A boat mechanic knows these tests, and what they are worth. That being said , the professional documentation of these issues make the motor more valuable. even if all the numbers are not to the teeth there is a heads up that can support a fairness to the price.
    More so than the guy with a motor that is just sitting in a garage and a lot of say so.
    I hope this helps you.