Thread: Gunsmith needed

Default Gunsmith needed

I have a project in mind that I need done and am having a hard time finding a smith who can do the work.

What I have:
    Remington 1889 12 g. with fluid steel barrels.

What I want done:
    #1 Barrels cut behind a small ding that some one tried to take out.
    #2 I want the barrels threaded to accept Remington chokes
    #3 I a set of 3 blade express sites installed.

The plan is to install Remington rifled chokes and use this gun as a double rifle, with the ability to change them out and use as a shot gun or even a combination gun.

The idea came from an old Outdoor life article that talked about the Paradox guns used in Africa in the 1920's and 1930's. I spent a couple years looking for the right gun for this project and this one is the one I chose. I like the lines and exposed hammers. I know there are some who will cringe at what I want to do and some will think that the expense doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is one of those things that I want to do.

Well if anyone one here can do the work or knows of some one that can; please let me know.

Thanks, Dean

Be aware that the minimum outside dia. where you want the chokes installed must be .833" or larger. The rem choke reamer cuts a major dia. of .813". That will leave a paper thin barrel at the forward end of the choke if you are close to min. outside dia. Also the bores are probably not perfectly concentric with the outside of the barrels at that point so add about .010"to .020" for run out. I like to see about .860"+. All said your barrels have to be pretty thick to cut for rem. chokes. Cool project though. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Be aware that the minimum outside dia. where you want the chokes installed must be .833" or larger. The rem choke reamer cuts a major dia. of .813". That will leave a paper thin barrel at the forward end of the choke if you are close to min. outside dia. Also the bores are probably not perfectly concentric with the outside of the barrels at that point so add about .010"to .020" for run out. I like to see about .860"+. All said your barrels have to be pretty thick to cut for rem. chokes. Cool project though. Good luck!
    I just went and measured and the bad news is that the OD is only .895 You seem to know what you are talking about. Do you have any other suggestions that might make this project work? Maybe a different chose that could be used?

.895 is good as that is larger than .833 minimum. Sounds like the barrels are thick enough. Now if they are .795 then you're out of luck. That would be WAY thin.

Let me get this right you want to use a 12 gauge double gun to make a double rifle? In what caliber?

David

Note your barrels will cross at about fourty yards as standard so you don't need much for sights. For best results concider makeing it a cape gun. You can have thin line tubes installed in one barrel and use a rifled tube for sabots.A fellow by the name of Mike Orlen on the east coast does a good job at this. Of course on you older gun you need to check what chamber lenght it has and keep your loads to around 8,000psi. Check out Doublegunshop.com as this idea comes up about as often there as best bear gun here

Li-a-bility

Not a doable project

I have a 3 barrel Imman Meffert, is anyone familiar with them? I have managed to decipher most fo the stamps, but still not able to work out the age. It is a double 12 gauge with a .303 on the bottom using external hammers.

I wanted to know if it would be possible to convert the 12 gauges to double rifle in .375 or larger? It sounds like that is what Dean wants to do? Or am i mistaken?

regards
    David

OOPS! One mistake and one misconception.
    My mistake. The barrels will not accept a choke they are .8095". That 0 was sort of important.

The misconception. I am not trying to make this a rifle. I was hoping to use rifled chokes and use slugs.

Now after discovering that the barrels were too thin last night I started doing some digging on the net and found that there is an outfit in Anchorage that makes inserts for shotguns. If it does not break the rules I can post a link to the company that is building them. I will wait and see though as I do not want to get out of line.

Any how they have lots of different insert, sleeves and caliber conversions. I am going to do some more research and see if this will work. I really wanted to keep it 12 g. as I like some of the new slugs that are out there.

As long as your gun has 40 thousands wall thickness you can install tubes.
    Inman Meffert made lots of guns from cheap to very good quaility. I don't believe your guns action will come even close to standing up to the pressure of any rifle rounds except maybe 30-30 max. Your fireing pins will have to be bushed and made smaller.Barrels taken apart and and relayed with rifle barrels and regulated. I fell fairly sure the water table of your gun would soon start to crack and maybe even the standing breach. If you can find someone to do it figure six grand as a starting price.About the only SxS worth makeing a double rifle out of is the Browning BSS