Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still not denned up!

Smile still not denned up!

My son-in-law took the grandkids out to Swanson River Road on the Kenai last Saturday, the 22nd of Nov., to hunt the mighty snow shoe hare. A brown bear was walking down the road in front of his truck. They were close to it for about 25 yards. He said it was missing most of the hair on its butt. Go figure. The kids ages 7, 6, and 3 were thrilled to see it and wanted their Dad to shoot it. For some reason he did not bring a camera. Years ago I used to cut their tracks in November when I was in the same area. Other then a few spawned out silvers food is getting scarce unless they got a moose down.

Did you mean Saturday the 14th of November (today is the 22nd)

Yes, I've seen the brownies still out this time of year also. There isn't enough snow for them to give up yet. One thing I always found interesting about this time with the first couple inches of snow is how many bear tracks you can find in areas where you didn't see bears in the summer. It confirms that there are lots of bears milling about quite close to town and you just don't see them until the snow gives them away.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Did you mean Saturday the 14th of November (today is the 22nd)

Joat.... today is also .. SUNDAY.. last sat would have been the 21st
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile ok, ok, ok

It was 8 days ago. I can still tell time though!

I was down there yesterday.....still almost no snow, maybe 2". Curious, where about did you see him? I was thinking there are likely still bears about as it is more like late fall there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Joat.... today is also .. SUNDAY.. last sat would have been the 21st
    In which case, one would have said, "yesterday" whereas the phrase "last <insert day of week here>" normally indicates the week prior.

Glad I was right, though.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

In which case, one would have said, "yesterday" whereas the phrase "last <insert day of week here>" normally indicates the week prior.

Oh i know you was right... just wanted to see you admit it....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default last saturday

since today is sunday the 22nd. last saturday was yesterday the 21st.
    if someone thinks last saturday was the 14th then they really must be thinking abnormally because the last saturday that occurred was the 21st.

anyway - just jerking your bobber

Talking

If one were to carry this logic to the extreme, then next Monday would mean a week from tomorrow and not tomorrow, which is the next Monday.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If one were to carry this logic to the extreme, then next Monday would mean a week from tomorrow and not tomorrow, which is the next Monday.

NOPE tomorrow is

This monday.. next monday is next weeks a week from now...

meet on face book here

Default no no no next monday

next monday is tomorrow.
    Think about when you are standing in the front of the line at the bank (or credit union) or check out stand and the teller says "May I help the next person please" do you let the person behind you go or does the person at the front of the line go. If you are at the front of the line and let the person behind you go then next monday would be a week from tomorrow but if you go then next monday is tomorrow.

just another tug on your bobber

If next Monday is a week from tomorrow, does that mean I don't have to go back to work until "next Monday"? I could get used to this logic...wonder what the boss would think?

As long they can find food they will be out.

Quite clearly, if you were referring to Monday the 23rd, you would say, "today"... duh.

Next Monday will be the 30th, at least until "this" weekend, when it will ambiguously change into "this Monday" and then "next Monday" will be Dec 7th. It's perfectly clear in my twisted mind.

Hold on, I think I got a nibble...

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Bear siting turns into english logic lesson, talk about a hijacked thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Bear siting turns into english logic lesson, talk about a hijacked thread.
    bear tracks equal bland soup... however by having the proper calendered bear.. we may make stew by being there on the correct future Saturday at that exact moment... or was it the next moment... or this moment?

though it would hav been nice to been there last saturday.. the one before seems would have been better.. but i would bet that: the next this Saturday will be effective for an outing also.. even if no fresh tracks are made...

meet on face book here

Default I most sincerely hope

that neither of you are guides or transporters.
    I can just see me sitting at camp for a week waiting to get picked up because I didn't get my calender out!
    Mike
    (weren't we talking about bears?? What calender do they use?)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Ha...

"So I'll be back to pick you up next Saturday. You sure you've got enough food and supplies?"

Tis the reason why I prefer to use them number thingies they assigned to each day on the calendar!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default bear denning

I am glad that you guys have a sense of humor.

That would be exciting to watch a good sized bear walk down the road in front of your vehicle.

Nothing a bear does surprises me anymore after my story from last year. It was Nov 25th!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42666
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast