Thread: Rocky Pass / Keku Straight

Default Rocky Pass / Keku Straight

I was planning a trip in June next year to go down to Prince Rupert and pick up a friend and travel to Sitka. It looks like it would shave some distance by going through rocky pass. Rocky pass looks a little tricky.
    I realize that high tide would be the preferred time.
    I read in one book(Charlie's Charts) that the navigation markers had been removed.
    Any info about rocky pass would be helpfull .

Chuck

I went through there last spring on my way from Seatlle to Juneau. I was cocerned as well, and had heard it was really tight. My GPS was dead on accurate, and showed the dredged channel (Garmin 4212). We even saw several NOAA boats while we were there. We heard later that they were checking the depths and making sure the channel markers were in place. We went through at near high tide, and while you have to pay attention to where you are, it was really no big deal.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

It's a good pass. Well marked.

Might wanna come off step the first time through, especially just south of Devils Elbow. Some tight turns there.

Talking Rocky Pass

I was in Kake about 4 years ago and was going to go south through Rocky Pass. Talking with the locals I was told not to try it with out local knowledge of the area, as all markers had been removed, so I cut over to Petersburg and then went south. Sounds like it is better now days. Hope to be in that area again, soon.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default Thanks for the info

I take it then that all the nav aids are in place? I think that I will give it a try. I would like to go to Baranof warm springs on to the way to Sitka so this looks like a good route.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Jim & Brian any pics?

Chuck

Here is one of Rocky Pass, where you can see one of the markers. I was not on step very much going through here, and it seems like I did not take many pictures as I was nervous about making a mistake.

The next couple are of Baranof Warm springs. Take the time to hike up the trail to where the spring pool is right by the river (pictured here). I was there in May, and it was almost impossible to find since there was snow and not many people had been up there.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Pics

Thanks for posting a few pics Jim.
    I have been to Baranof warm springs a few times, it is fantastic.

I will hit there then on to Sitka and then up the outside to Cape Spencer. We will stop a few places on the outside like white sulphur springs and green top harbor.This should be about a week long trip.

Can't wait

Chuck

Can't imagine the US Coast Guard NavAids being removed. But it wouldn't take long to check it out in the Coast Pilot for the area.

The only picture I have is from the air, of Devils Elbow cabin, looking north up the Pass towards Kake...

White Sulpher was looking good this summer...

Was nice enough one day to moor the boat right off the cabin. Notoriously foul spot, with lot's of rocks which surface at low tide. Not recommended that close for much more than a skiff...

Inside springs...

outside springs...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I was in Kake about 4 years ago and was going to go south through Rocky Pass. Talking with the locals I was told not to try it with out local knowledge of the area, as all markers had been removed, so I cut over to Petersburg and then went south. Sounds like it is better now days. Hope to be in that area again, soon.
    Just to clarify, all the markers were in place in May of 2009. Since they are steel posts driven into the ground I would be suprised if they were not all still in place.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Pics

Thanks for posting some pics Brian. I think I anchored up in the same spot at white sulphur as in your pic. Did not really relax though, I was watching my boat all the time. I only spent about 1 hour there. Maybe next year I'll walk over from Mirror harbor and spend more time.

Chuck