Thread: Sheep skull cleaning

Default Sheep skull cleaning

I've got a sheep skull that I'm cleaning and I've been told that you must remove the horns from the skull and clean out the inside of the horns and the cores and then glue the horns back on.
    What is the best method for removing the horns. A friend told me to use a rubber mallet and hammer them off. I'm resisting that approach until I have better information.

I have seen it done a couple ways. Soak the entire skull and horns in water, or put it in a plastic bag. They will come loose after they sit awhile, you can use the rubber hammer and a twisting action. Beware it is a nasty job. The tannery in Fairbanks will do it for you if you don't want to deal with the mess. After everything is cleaned, degreased and whitened. Bondo is used to glue them back on.

Good Luck

Steve

Default I don't want to raise a stink

Thanks for the info Stid. I may just go ahead and take them down to my taxidermist. A trapper friend of mine told me that "it stinks pretty bad".
    When a trapper tells you that something stinks, you probably better pay attention.

Yea, the trouble this time of the year it is hard to find a spot to work on it with it it freezing or getting stinky.

Good Luck

Steve

Default Nasty stuff

The horn cores need to be removed, then cleaned, disinfected and preserved (inside) The Skull portion then needs to be fully cleaned, degreased and then whitened.. (takes time).. Once all is clean, you can remove a good portion of the cone of the skull.. Drill some holes through and use bondo and attach.. it stinks, and as stated earlier, with the freezing temps outside now.. stuff must be done indoors..

If you boil or submerge in water.. blood, grease and sheep matter will leech onto the horns leaving them permanently stained darker than natural.. I suggest to double bag in good trash bags.. se in a warm place, then forget for a couple weeks.. Open outisde and stand upwind.. They will basically be rotten and will twist right off.. be sure to make a pilot hole so you know the exact angle and depth they need to be set back on when finishing and reattaching..our its just a guess.. and a well earned sheep deserves more than a guess..

Pm me if you need more info or a qualified taxidermist to do your sheep..

Thanks,