Thread: Diamond Sea Glaze windows

Default Diamond Sea Glaze windows

I have decided to change all of my rubber framed windows to aluminum framed Diamond Sea Glaze windows. My two sliders are diamond sea glaze and they are the only windows that did not show any sign of leaking what so ever.
    There is about a five week waitng period to get these windows made and when I had my boat built the builder did not want to have a boat in his shop for five weeks waiting for windows. The side sliders were a standard pattern that he used so he kept a stock of them but all the rest were a custom fit.
    Has anyone got any advice on the installation? I have removed my old windows and traced my window patterns.
    Now I wait five weeks.

Hi Chuck, I'm not directly familiar with the Diamond windows per se, but being in the glass/window business I'd consider:
    1. Ensure the thickness of the cabin walls/front is compatible with the mounting of the windows (want a snug "sandwich" fit)
    2. Use a compatible sealant (5200, etc.) that will allow movement/"flexing"
    3. Use the highest grade/quality of fasteners as this is where I've seen corrosion issues, where 2 dis-similar (sp?) metals contact each other.

I know these are elementary tips, but I've seen a few leaking boat windows and the problems usually are due to not paying attention to the above.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Big Jim; 11-22-2009 at 09:29. Reason: spelling correction

GC uses the Diamond Sea Glaze windows. I have had no problems with mine. Big Jim offers some good info. He knows a thing or two about glass. Instead of using 5200, mine are sealed with butyl tape. I believe that the windows will come with all the necessary hardware. They sure are proud of them aren't they?

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Yes they are.

Jim & Pete,

Thanks for the info. They said they would supply butyl tape with the install and that should be all that is reqiured. It is good to hear the your windows have been dry Pete.
    Now I just wait five weeks!

Default Ah, butyl tape...

One of my most favorite things to deal with in replacing a broken window, especially when the sun's been heating it up!!! Stringy, nasty, sticky stuff but it definitely does the job and allows adequate movement/sealing qualities without being a permanent adhesive type sealant. Nowadays we use foam glazing tape on most windows but the butyl sure does the job, never seen a butyl-glazed window leak!!!
    I'll have to pay attention to those Diamond Sea Glaze windows next time (hint) I see Pete's boat, they may have a market to explore here in Hawaii (very common to have fixed, rubber gasketed windows which eventually leak).