Thread: Squirell River bou float

Default Squirell River bou float

I am looking into the Squirell River for a caribou float for next season. I have never hunted this drainage and would like to get some info from guys that have.

Is it a good bet for Caribou?

Good bulls?

When is the best time for this drainage if looking for a nice bou?

Any wolf hunting in the area while floating the river?

Default 44 lookers

and zero posters :0(

Anyone have suggestions about this river or where in the area to go for a good bou hunt. This is not my first rodeo, but first rodeo in the area, lost when it comes to knowing where to go for a good bou out of kotzebue. Thank you.

Thumbs up

hang tough Steelie, you might yet get a few comments on this thread...also check the archives, surely the squirrel river has been talked about.
    Click on old forums and look throught the archives from there...
    Hope this helps!
    Frank

Default thanks

I did not know that!!:0)

Thumbs up Caribou

I talked to a guide and transporter in Kotz this last fall about floating the Squirrel.. He said it would be good choice, for not only Caribou, but possible Moose..
    I opted for a fishing trip over in Dillingham instead, but he works that area all season and said it would work for game,,
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Was On The Squirrel Early In Sept Too Early, Very Hot T-shirt Weather, Set Up Some Camps For Locals In Kiana, Floated From About 5 Miles Above To The Omar, No Caribou No Moose, Caught Plenty Of Char, Grayling, White Fish And A Few Pike, Chums Still Spawning, Seen Plenty Of Bear Sign, Some Real Slow Parts To The River 6 Horse Motor Would Have Been Nice, Got Picked Back Up Flew Back Down To Kiana Threw A Skiff Together And Got Into Plenty Of Caribou Upriver Of Kiana Towards Onion Portage Got Em The Ole Eskimo Way, No Problem Catching Our 5 A Day, Plenty To Share With The Villagers, Some Nice Bulls Caught, And Others Seen All Around, If You Go To The Squirrel Reccomend Going Later Than Earlier As They Said It Was To Early Up There And Is Crawling With Bou Later In The Month And Bring Your Fly Rod If Floating The Whole Thing Down To Kiana Reccomend Bringing A Small Outboard For The Slow Parts Of River And Slough Down At The Mouth

Humper

thank you. I was planning on the 7th through the 18th. perhaps I should go in a week later if this is the norm for the area. thanks again for the help.

any wolf in the area with the herd moving through? I have been on several Caribou hunt and have yet had the opportunity to spot a wolf, hope next season I can connect:0)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

I must say, I've seen alot of beautiful country since living in Alaska, been all over from as far as Dutch Harbor to the Koyukuk, but Kiana has got to be the best place I have ever been. I'd love to do a float out of there in the next few years.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed