Thread: Getting Started.

Smile Getting Started.

I am looking for reasonably priced items.

5 pin Sight preferably with .010 or 0.019 diameter pins.
    Drop away arrow rest preferably with a trap.
    Scott's Sabertooth release or similar.
    300gr Easton or Gold Tip arrow shafts at 29" or 30".

I am just getting started so not looking to go broke already. I will be shooting a 82nd ABN. If any of you have any advice for a beginner I am all ears.

I will be getting back in Alaska in the spring and am looking to get started as soon as I get back.

Thanks.

The Shark is the same as the Sabertooth except that the jaws are anodized alluminum instead of stainless. The cost difference is @ $20. After looking at them both I got the shark.

When you get back, go see Paul at the Archer's Den in Eagle River. He'll get you set up with quality accessories that won't break the bank. When I got my bow he was really helpful in getting me equipment that was quality, but wasn't necessarily the most expensive stuff on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    I am looking for reasonably priced items.

5 pin Sight preferably with .010 or 0.019 diameter pins.
    Drop away arrow rest preferably with a trap.
    Scott's Sabertooth release or similar.
    300gr Easton or Gold Tip arrow shafts at 29" or 30".

I am just getting started so not looking to go broke already. I will be shooting a 82nd ABN. If any of you have any advice for a beginner I am all ears.

I will be getting back in Alaska in the spring and am looking to get started as soon as I get back.

Thanks.
    Spott Hogg offers a militarty discount... Spott Hogg makes a fine sight and .19 is the only way to go... Thier are two rests I go with one is the trophy ridge or the Bowtech Hostage pro. Something to remember Bowtech does not recommend you tie a drop away rest into the cable because it could cause your bow to go out of time so they say??? Anymore I go with the Hostage pro rest... As far a release that is your own preference... I like Gold tip arrows myself and you will get many opinions on arrows, but me I like gold tip. you will need to go with 5575 at minimum if you use gold tip arrows. Take your bow to Paul and he will get it all set up for you. He is very good at his job and one the best at setting up Bows and his customer service is great...

If you know what you want, you can find some really good deals on ArcheryTalk.com. Just use good sense in contacting and dealing with folks there. I've never been burned, only had one negative experience but the item seems to be on its way back to me now.

As for specifics, I'm a huge fan of Spot Hogg sights. The TruGlo seem pretty good too, we put one on my wife's new bow. I'd go for toolless, and micro-adjust if possible. I put a Sword on my new bow, jury is still out. Nice thing about AT.com is you can try new things without breaking the bank.

My favorite rest is the QAD UltraRest HD (have them on 6 bows). Easy to set up, reliable, full capture. The Ripcord seems pretty good too, but less expensive. I just bought a used QAD on AT.com for a very good price. The LD model is good too, a bit less expensive.

You can find lots of arrows there too. I've bought Axis there for my wife and myself.

Just be patient, ask lots of questions, make sure you know what you're getting and the condition. It's expensive and inconvenient to have to ship something back because of a misunderstanding. Not as bad as where you are now, but...

Good luck!

Chris

Default Thanks for the Info.

Well I have been doing some research and I think I have some good Ideas on what I want.

I am looking at the Trophy Taker FC Extreme.

As far as sights go I am still in the air but narrowing the field. I was curious if any one has had any experience with the Trophy Taker Top Pin sight. I think that the 7 pin is a little crowded so I am leaning more toward the Top Pin 4 pin.

Thanks guys.
    Dave

I shoot my bow with both the Extreme FC rest and the 7 pin sight from Trophy Taker. I really like the products that Dan and Jerrod put out of Trophy Taker.

The rest was a snap to tune, and the pins on the sight aren't bad at all. It is pretty much set up at 10 yard distances, and you hardly have to do any pin corrections. Just set the top pin at 20 yrds and go out from there. Depending on how your bow does as you move out, make your corrections as needed. Don't be afraid to reach out a little further, but of course, make your shots count.

Good luck,

Mike

Default Thanx

Thanks for the advice Mike.