Thread: Jiffy Ice auger update:

Default Jiffy Ice auger update:

It appears that Jiffy are using a different motor for the 2010 2hp and 3hp STX models. DO NOT BUY THE OLDER MODEL. They badged the new motor as "better torque". Apparently they think we ice fishermen are stupid or something. The real reason they have replaced the motor is because the old motor was an ignorant, unreliable, POS that was dog's breath when cold. I personally went through two of the 10 in. STX models and I'm glad they replaced that junk tecumseh motor with a newer one. I'm going to go ahead and buy the Jiffy with this new motor and will let all of you know how it performs as compared to the older one. I use the Jiffys because they have steel gear housings, steel throttle housings, and stamped steel engine shrouds. Most of the other models are made of plastic that is just waiting to snap on the bumpy snowmachine trip out to the lake. I used an eskimo four seasons ago where the throttle handle and housing snapped into pieces. In the cold....plastic is not your freind. I'm glad Jiffy upgraded the motor......let's see how it holds up. more to follow.........

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The real reason they have replaced the motor is because the old motor was an ignorant, unreliable, POS .
    what about the much loved Model 30?...is it a different motor....I thought the main issue with the late models was the carburetor, more specifically, the jetting....

what is the difference in the late model augers and the bullet proof ones that grandpa had when he was our age and still uses? I did read about some troubles with folks that manufacture the motor, is that it?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have a 3110. Mine has it's good days and bad...seems to be a tad finicky, almost like she's starving for fuel . It definatly doesnt cut like it used too. Have replaced the blades...time to sharpen that V point on the end, hopefully that'll fixer up again. That and a major tuneup . Mine is 4 or 5 years old now. Havent done much with her the last 2 winters.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I did read about some troubles with folks that manufacture the motor, is that it?
    It is, they closed down last year or early this year.
    That left a big hole in the small engine market.
    Strikemaster is now using German Solo motors.
    I wonder what the lawnmower and snowblower manufacturers are using now?

I wish I would have read this a week ago. I just picked up a last years model STX 10" from a friend of mine.