Thread: How Old IS This Mountain Goat?

Default How Old IS This Mountain Goat?

Here is a couple of pictures of Lonnies Mountain Goat. He measures 10 3/16" on his longest side.
    How old do you think this goat is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a massive..long haired and horned goat! Congrads!

Some of the rings below the hairline are hidden so it's nearly impossible to age him from the photos. It looks like there are at least 4 1/2 rings that can be seen above the hair but its a little hard to tell what's below? If you have any other closeup photos of the horns without hair it will be a lot easier to tell.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Can't say

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Here is a couple of pictures of Lonnies Mountain Goat. He measures 10 3/16" on his longest side.
    how old he is but, he defianately ain't getting any older, congratulations!Beauty goat!

Default 6.5yrs

I'd say 6.5 by what I can see. Thats alot of length for that age and he might of gained another 3/4" by age 10.5 if being fed well.

Default don't know

but what a wonderful trophy, congrats. What kind of mount are you looking at?

Default Life Size

I had him at 6.5 as well, but I did not look at him very good before we sent him off.
    We are going to get both Goats life sized. We got them off to the Taxdermy before we spent much time counting and measuring, but I looking at the scoring methods and measure for Goats I am pretty sure this guy will make it. It takes 50" to go all time book and he probablly is at least 35 with just the lenght and with measurements. He is pretty even so I would not think he would have many dedcutions. But! I am not a book guy, so I only know what I read.
    I do know that body wize he is a giant. The last goat I had life sized (9.5") they had to add 10" of girth to the form and this guy is probablly 60LBS heavier than the last one.
    OBY! This is the goat in the Video. It is shown in te video thread

Thanks for the compliments,
    Louis

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default My guess

6.5-7.5, hard to tell with the hair over the horn at the base, a monster to be sure...I love goats, I think they are beginning to occupy my mind as much as sheep- much to my wifes dismay.

Default I hear you

They occupy my mind a bit too :-) In my opinion they are one of the most under-rated trophies
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

They occupy my mind a bit too :-) In my opinion they are one of the most under-rated trophies
    CUS, nicce mounts.. .curious.. though what is the HANGING weight of those goat? thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Far too old to be decent table fare, stringy tough.....you'd better just let me take care of the meat for Lonnie.

Great billy congrats!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    CUS, nicce mounts.. .curious.. though what is the HANGING weight of those goat? thanks
    Vince,
    Don't quite remember, but it was a lot less than I expected. I think the life size is a bit under 100 lbs. I remember being suprised by how light it was.

Default life size

I've got a date with a few bilies next year and I just got done working out in the gym. I'm already thinking about mountains and the pains involved in accessing the remote backcountry. My treadmill time is spent drifting off and thinking of alpine sunsets and rocky stalks.

I'm committed to a wall hanger for myself next year. So far I've been letting my friends and wife shoot the Billies.

I've considered getting a full body mount that just sits on the floor. Just like it was bedded in my entryway or living space. With that thick plush fur it should be touched.

Default Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Far too old to be decent table fare, stringy tough.....you'd better just let me take care of the meat for Lonnie.

Great billy congrats!
    Just had some on a pizza, those little pepper sticks sure make a great pizza, doesn't matter how tough he is................lol!