Thread: Lk Louise Lake trout

Default Lk Louise Lake trout

I would like to fish Lk Louise for lake trout. I am not familiar with the lake and will be on foot. I have an auger. Can someone share some info on what to try up there? Perhaps where to go?

There are some monsters in lake louise biggest last year was 20 lbs. We do well on hooligan early. Then later in the year we use big white jigs in about 20-25 feet of water. Good luck

on foot huh? well your gonna be walkin ALONG ways...lake Louise is HUGE. id like to say im "familiar" with it, but thatd be a tremendous overexaggeration. this year i wanna get to know it alittle better.....fishing it eariler this fall with my boat gave me some insight into some pretty productive areas. if your headed up that way Rising Creek, let me know, and maybe we can ride up together, split the costs etc....i too have an auger, as well as a shelter, snowmachine and jet sled.

Jake

Release Lake Trout

There are some large fish in LL. Too many times I have heard people losing all their line in a few seconds and then a big pop. Be sure your gear is up to the task. The smallest line that I use in the summer is 17LB. I have not lost a fish due to line strength as of yet. Double check your knots.
    The weather can change very fast. 20 degrees in a few minutes. You cannot get off the lake very fast walking. Watch for changes and stay closer when the weather is changing.

Some good areas are near the parking areas.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    I would like to fish Lk Louise for lake trout. I am not familiar with the lake and will be on foot. I have an auger. Can someone share some info on what to try up there? Perhaps where to go?

U better get on craigslist and find urself a nice lil tundra or bravo......Louise, Susitna, and Tyone make for one big lake system. Winter fishing......a snow machine is perhaps more important than all other fishing equipment. It doesnt even matter what machine u get..........

i always wondered how is the fishing in susitna or tyone? is it worth it to run up there?

Release Lake Trout

you know rising creek, there are some good channels and points to try between the public boat launch and the lake louise lodge.....not to far off shore either....my guess is just about anywhere with 15-30 feet of water will be a good place to start.....some of the biggest lakers ive heard being caught there were caught in less than 20 feet of water.

Release Lake Trout

It doesn't take much water under the ice for there to be fish.

yea our first attempt at lake louise ice fishing resulted in 3 near hook ups with a trophy laker in 4 feet of water below the ice. buddy kept pulling his shrimp out of its mouth.

Release Lake Trout

thats crazy...considering some of our better fishing has come out of the deeper parts of the lake. We've had a lot of action in 30 fow in years past though it never really produces. They are there, they show up on the flasher. Most of my better fishing is in 50fow or deeper for lakers and big char. What limited experience I have.

Default lakers

You can walk to great spots and you don't have to fish in super deep water. I fish the lake often with my friends and family, we rarely get skunked, and usually catch several fish.
    I would like to add, if your not absolutely for sure your going to eat it, throw it back, this lake can be the bomb again with good management.
    Many lakes in that area used to produce alot of monster fish, I collected an 18 pound burbot and my Uncle may have ate the state record from pictures he showed me from the 70"s. lol
    Anyway yes, go! and be nice to the people at the lodges.
    Cheers
    Mark