Thread: Solo Brown Bear 09

Default Solo Brown Bear 09

I found this on the B&C web site trophy watch.

"Alaskan Official Measurer Frank Noska's hunting partner backed out at the last minute leaving him solo on his fall Brown Bear Archery Hunt. He reports that he had planned on having his buddy along to back him up with a rifle, though when he backed out, Frank decided his .44 mag and bow would have to do the trick. A single arrow from 18 yards brought down this bear. No report on a score yet but very impressive regardless"

If this hunter is on here........I think I speak for everyone......Please tell us more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default WOW

that thing is a fatty, I took an 8 1/2 footer solo, but that was with a Wetherby .340 mag...that's a whole lot different that taking one solo with a bow. That guy is cool and has a huge set of cahones. On the other hand, of the bow kills I've seen of brown bears, they seem to not know what happenend, take a few steps, then die. Way to go unknown dude, and thanks for posting Bighorse.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NO doubt!! thanks for the find BH! nice bear.

i will have to drag the wife in and prove Solo is okay...

or is it she is just tired of all the bears???????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Noska is pretty involved with the Alaska Bowhunter's Assoc. Maybe someone else on here that is a part of that org, like AlaskaGray, can get the info on the hunt for us.

Frank sent me that E-mail about a month ago.

He was the one who measured my P&Y 'Bou....the guy is a true hunting machine. Wasn't married last I knew and his house is absolutely filled with critters!

Dont know if its OK to post the E-mail or not of the story...

Default tease

Your teasing me! Get on the horn with him and let us know the nitty gritty.

Well, I dont know the guy that well, and wouldn't want to overstep my bounds...

I'll let AlaskaGray chime in since they're both ABA.

Since I'm teasing and all you have is a teensy weensy pic, heres a better one..

Frank lives the life most of use dream about. This was not his first solo brown/grizz kill. I believe he has six as of last count(not all solo). He is a pilot for UPS and is still single. Last year he completed the NA28, taking all North American big game animals with a bow. Here is the e-mail he sent with his pictures.

I made it out to the peninsula of Alaska this fall to bowhunt Brown bear. This hunt turned out to be one of the most adventuresome, action packed bowhunts I have ever done. First, I ended up hunting alone. I was planning on having someone back me up with a gun, but their schedule did not work out. I would have definitely preferred to have a “backup”, but I was not going to cancel this hunt just because someone was not available to go out with me. So I found myself alone, on the peninsula, bowhunting Brown bear. I did take two guns with me on this hunt, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 44 magnum pistol, and my satellite phone. Everything on the peninsula is extreme; all the weather (thankfully I had the Bombshelter tent!), the wind, rain, storms, ocean tide, low visibility, mountains, salmon in the rivers, the bear, etc. There were lots of bear! Before I even had my tent set up a Brown bear was into my food! I have to chuckle when I think of what that bear thought when he saw me running at him yelling and waving my arms like a crazy man. Luckily he was more afraid of me than I was of him and retreated and I was able to reclaim my food stash. I don’t think it ever stopped raining! I wore my SITKA waterproof gear continuously on this hunt and was thankful to have it! The wind was blowing so hard I could not put the tent up. Eventually the wind decreased just enough to allow me to get the tent up. The first day I could hunt, I climbed high up on the side of the mountain so I could observe the action below. I wanted to look at where the bear were bedding, trails they were using, and favorite fishing spots they were using in the river. This evening “observation hunt” provided a lot of information. I saw several bear and learned about their normal movements. For the next couple of days I hunted and had some close encounters, but the right situation never presented itself. The majority of bear I was seeing was during the first couple of hours after sunrise, and the last hour before dark. This left a very short window of effective hunting time. Late one evening, I spotted a nice boar traveling down the mountain toward the mouth of the river to feed on salmon. I had to move quickly and was able to get in a good ambush spot along the shoreline. The wind was in my face and I had a patch of tall grass to hide. As the bear passed by at 18 yards, I came to full draw and rose up above the grass to shoot. My ol’ 70 lb. PSE X-Force sent the Carbon Force Pro arrow into both lungs of the 9 ft. Brown bear. In a few short seconds it was all over. This is a memory I will not forget.
    I hope everyone is making some of their own good bowhunting memories this fall. Be safe, good luck, hunt hard, and have fun.
    Frank Noska

Oh ya!
    Good to see Im no so crazy, Bear hunting alone, What A RUSH!.......but, then again, who knows when something is gonna mosey into my sights. I havent stuck an arrow in an animal for 15 years....maby for fun, if I build another.

For the last 10 or so years, I take the kids along when possible, and share the experiance.

So whats this NA28 about? killing one of each in North America? A contest? Is it like getting one of each kinda sheep? Sounds interesting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Humbled

Ok...that guy is a stud. I know he probably wouldn't want somebody saying that about him but really, he's got some skills.

I'm surprised he isn't on some kind of hunting show making a mint off the viewing public

Jim Shocky better watch out. It sounds like he's got a good job as a pilot.

Ah......to be single, healthy, and driven.

Thanks for sharing the story and it's good to know it's strait from the hunter. Simple and to the point, the arrow point.

Default Solo Hunts

Solo Hunts are special to me, and was kind of forced in doing it, although wife doesn't care for it too much, she did go out and buy me an iridium phone to put her mind at ease. "The Forcing me to do it" thing was that everytime I had a hunt planned with someone else they either backed out at the last minute, couldn't get the time off to go, affordability, or just simply...something else came up. I did take my son on a sheep hunt (2008, my best hunt ever) but school and sports activities limited my hunts with them, so....Solo it was.

Solo hunts are more challenging, and rewarding, You get full solitude! its you against the elements, and that's what its all about, I'm hooked. To me, I'm never lonely. And finally...they say going solo increases your chances of getting your game.

A Brown Bear solo archery hunt is on my list of my "things to accomplish", but it will take me some time to do the research, but will be done someday....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Solo Hunts are special to me, and was kind of forced in doing it, although wife doesn't care for it too much, she did go out and buy me an iridium phone to put her mind at ease. "The Forcing me to do it" thing was that everytime I had a hunt planned with someone else they either backed out at the last minute, couldn't get the time off to go, affordability, or just simply...something else came up. I did take my son on a sheep hunt (2008, my best hunt ever) but school and sports activities limited my hunts with them, so....Solo it was.

Solo hunts are more challenging, and rewarding, You get full solitude! its you against the elements, and that's what its all about, I'm hooked. To me, I'm never lonely. And finally...they say going solo increases your chances of getting your game.

A Brown Bear solo archery hunt is on my list of my "things to accomplish", but it will take me some time to do the research, but will be done someday....
    i hear you on the taking the kids hunting.. the school makes it hard to do just that...

and you know.. it in itself is a type of solo hunt, though you have the young person to talk to.. you are responsible for their comfort along with your own and all the task tend to fall on you shoulders... the worry is so much more when we have our children with us.. things we normally would not give second thought too... become serious considerations..i can go further faster on my own... but sure love having them along....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

Solo hunts are more challenging, and rewarding, You get full solitude! its you against the elements, and that's what its all about, I'm hooked.
    Indeed. Though my wife has become my near constant companion in the mountains, there is still something special about solo hunts. I've been kicking around the idea of doing a solo drop-off in the Sound over the Thanksgiving weekend for deer, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out. The nights sure are long this time of year to be alone in a tent, but man, it sure would be fun as well.

Interesting thread.
    "Solo" certainly can be nice - spent enough time "solo" over the years to know.
    But, can't help but think of that saying by William Cooper;
    “I praise the Frenchman, his remark was shrewd - How sweet, how passing sweet is solitude! But grant me still a friend in my retreat, [To] Whom I may whisper Solitude is sweet”

Joe (Ak)

You guys get pretty deep......

"Solo" to me is just a day or two ride on my snowgo or in my boat, even just walking for a few days.

Climbing mountains to hunt and all sounds like a vision quest.....and a lot of fun.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default hunt

Fantastic bear and hunt to that guy! I've enjoyed hunting with a buddy, but have been fortunate to have a couple pretty reliable pards. It would suck to plan a hunt a year out and then have them cut on you. . . .Many times I was very glad to have that buddy's help getting down cliffs, keeping stalking bears at bay while field dressing deer, crossing rivers/streams, roping up together to retrieve game and keeping warm/from being hypothermic after being trapped on a mountain----of course, maybe if I had been alone those times I may have been more "careful" in not getting into those tight spots, but then again, maybe not. And this year I found out that the comfort of a sat phone is only comforting if it continues to work. Gotta love what AK throws at you for sure!