Thread: Yentna river big bend area

Default Yentna river big bend area

Im looking at property on the right side of the big bend on a fresh water slough on the Yentan river Can anyone tell me how much water is in the slough. On gogle earth there is a cabin to the right on the slough and a boat park in the slough thanks for any help.

I would guess it would depend on what time of yr, That river and the rest, can go up and down alot between spring and fall. Right side? Is that the upstream or down stream side of the bend, on east side or west side of river? I would call Dan at the Yentna Station lodge, he lives there. He would Know the answer of water level, and Maybe even who built it,and so forth.

I've been in it several times in the last 3 years. It was always in the summertime, looking for fish on my way to Lake Creek. There was a bar at the entrance, but if you approached from the Yentna upstream side following the bank there was decent water. Once inside there was good water for the first several hundred yards, but afterwards it got to less than 1' below my transducer so I turned around. I don't know if it gets better further up the slough (it didn't look like it to me). I didn't fish, but i could see their wakes occassionally in the shallow parts. It seems like a nice spot.

That slough is only good past the entrance on summer water flows. Late fall or early spring runs you can not get to far past the entrance. The sand bar out front can be tricky but a winter trip with sleds will show you the good channel to come in off the river. You do need to go in on step unless coming down river. I run back thru there during the winter and will tell you the channel is very narrow and holds little water during the winter at the entrance. The sand bars are 4 to 5 feet above the ice level during the winter.

Further back is shallow even during high water periods. I have been all the way back to where the water runs clear for Silvers. Not the greatest of places to fish but no pressure and can be alot of fun. Some Reds also frequent the little dinky stream.

If you are looking at the land back on the left(NW side where the cabin is on the small hill) that is boatable to there during higher water times. Past that it gets iffy. Staying on the left side has the better water depth. Right side is shallow out almost 100 feet from shore in places.

Where you see that boat parked is just behind a large sand bar just inside the entrance. If you need a riding buddy let me know. I spend alot time on the river especially winter time.

Again a winter trip would help answer your questions.

thanks for the information guys. Chris