Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 480 Ruger shooters out there?

Default Any 480 Ruger shooters out there?

I've wanted one since they were introduced & was sad to see Ruger discontinue them. Finally found a 7.5" SRH on GB at the same time I had a little money to part with so it's on the way. I'll primararliy be using it for handgun hunting, mainly moose & black bear unless I somehow luck into a unit 15 brownie tag.
    Who has experience with the round & what insite can you offer?
    I have all the compenents ready for reloading (Have 200 365gr Performance Cast HC bullets to start with) & dies should be here next week about the time the gun gets here.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I think you are in for some fun.I haven't messed with the 480 really but did shot some 475 and 500 Limbaugh when they were coming about 20 years ago.They were easier to shoot than the 454 to me with same weight guns

Thanks Will.
    I considered the 454 but after talking to many folks they said the 480 had more of a "big shove" type of recoil as opposed to a "big slap" from the 454. I'm starting to struggle with some arthritus in my hands, especially the right hand (right handed) that made me think the 480 would be a wiser choice for me. Also have a set of Hogue Tamer grips on the way that several people recomended.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I've been shooting mine since they first came out. I bought a bandito holster from pistol packaging (http://www.pistolpackaging.com/), a nice way to carry it. I've put almost 2000 rounds through it. If you are going to hunt with it leave it long, I had mine chopped by Wildwest Guns (Wolverine treatment). It is a much better carry, defense gun now. John Taffin wrote about killing an American bison with a 475 pushing a 410 grain bullet at around 1000fps. He said the bulet went through both sholders. That is pretty impressive and I believe you should be able to reach that velocity with the 480. It shoots much more accurately than I can hold and doesn't have as nasty a recoil as the 454. Have fun. Jim

I've had one since just after they came out. I've put at least 4000 rounds through my 7 1/2" srh, and all of them cast, round balls, 275 gr swc to 460 gr wfn. I'll have to dig up some links to writeups I did on load work. But the short and sweat of it is, for hunting a 390-400 gr cast bullet under 21 gr of H-110 lit off by a cci 350 will clock right around 1200 fps, and in my gun will print 5 shot 1" groups at 50 yds (with scope off a bench and me doing my part). For plinking I mostly shot a 310 gr lfn over 9.7 gr of unique lit off by a cci 300 which clocked 950 fps and would also shoot 1" at 50 yds, I even shot a 3 shot 1 1/2" 100 yd group that likely would have gone 1" or better, but I can't shoot a handgun that well.

I've shot alot of 454's, 475's and 500's and personally can't handle that level of recoil. The 480 offers ~30% more power than the 44 mag, but with the same powder charge, and recoil that is on par with a 44, just a bigger push.

It's an easy round to load for, just adjust the dies for minimal belling and a firm but not monstrous crimp. I'm using Hornady dies and am on the same 200 cases I started with. I lost a few due to neck cracks from excessive belling, but the rest of the cases seem to keep going and going.

The only thing I've changed is the grip, the hogue tamer is the way go. Keeps the trigger guard from mashing your finger, and the frame from cutting your thumb knuckle where it protrudes above the factory grip.

I agree with everything Paul just said. I forgot about the grips. The new Hogue's are wonderful. Jim

I dug up my old post from another forum:

These are the loads that I've found to be most accurate in my gun: (accurate loads put 5 into 1" at 50 yds, fair loads are 2-3" at 25 yds)

310 gr LFN (custom balisticast mold, their standard LFN but shortened to two lube grooves)

7 gr Unique, 700 fps. A fun mild load, accuracy is fair.

9.7 gr Unique 950 fps. This has been the nee plus ultra accurate load. It will consistantly put 5 into 1" @ 50 yds, no matter what 5 chambers I load up. It may be even more accurate, but I'm just not good enough to tell. I've shot a 3 shot 100 yd group w/ the load that measured 1 1/2", there was less then 1/2" variation in elevation, it was strung horizontally.

18.5 gr 2400 1100 fps. Accurate load.

21.5 gr 2400 1400 fps. Acccuracy is fair with this load, and it is definately a max load. My goal was to get this bullet going 1500 fps, but even w/ H 110, it just wouldn't do it, in fact 2400 was faster then 110 w/ this bullet. I have a feeling my gun is slighly on the slow side, especially w/ the lighter bullets, but not to worry, it does alright with the heavy bullets

320 gr LFN (custom NEI mold, their standard LFN but shortened to two lube grooves)

Load the same as the 310 gr LFN, this was a mold I was loaned, accuracy wasn't quite as good as the 310 gr, but still a good bullet.

335 gr SWC (custom NEI mold, their standard 435 gr SWC but shortened to one lube groove) This is a local commercial hardcast bullet.

9.7 gr Unique 950 fps, noted as accurate.

19.5 gr 2400, I can't find the chrono reading, but as I recall it clocked 1100 fps, and was very accurate.

390 gr LFN. (LBT mold, plainbase)

17 gr 2400 1000 fps, accurate.

21.0 gr H 110 1170 fps, accurate.

400 gr Lee (this has dual crimp grooves, I've tried the rear crimp groove, but the rounds don't always slide smoothly in the chamber, and I didn't see much increase in velocity from the larger powder room, so have used the front crimp groove. Also this was a prototype mold from lee, but I believe the production molds are identical)

6 gr unique 600 fps. Accuracy is fair, but this is a fun light recoil load.

21 gr H 110 1200 fps, accurate and another fine hunting load.

400 gr XLFN (A friend had moutain molds make this design, the long nose extends to the end of the cylinder and thus you have 475 Linebaugh powder capacity)

21 gr H 110 ~1200 fps and excellent accuracy
    21 gr Lil gun ~ 1200 fps and excellent accuracy.

435 gr SWC (NEI mold)

19.0 gr H110 1100 fps, pulled this one out of John Taffins AH article, no need to change it, accurate and powerful.

460 gr WFN gc (custom balisticast, their 400 gr WFN gc cut extra deep per my specs, supposed to be 450 gr but ended up 460 from ww's)

19.0 gr H110 1050 fps, accurate. This is a max load, I tried going higher, but got slightly sticky , and definately sticky extraction, so backed off to 19.0, which was also the most accurate.

Here are pictures of that bullet as tested at the linebaugh semina out of a fellow 480 shooters ruger:

Bullet on the left went through 38" we newsprint before stopping, the one on the right went through 2" newsprint, 2-3" bone, and 9.5" newsprint before stopping. Muzzle velocity was about 1100 fps. Penetration was just slighlty behind the 475's 42-44".

I've found that w/ the 400 gr bullets, 2400 produces a recoil pulse that I find more objectionable then the H110 loads, more of a fast jerky whip then a big push.

A friend tried Lil Gun and was pushing the Lee 400 gr 1350 fps and when I watched him shooting it, it looked like he was shooting a 475.

What else? Work up loads and shoot, shoot, shoot, it has suprised me about what type of accuracy a revolver is capable of when one puts the effort into load work.

Oh yeah, stuff I've tried that didn't work out as well as I would have liked:

Red Dot, I thought it would be good for mild plinker loads, but accuracy has been notably worse then Unique every time I tried it.

Round balls, I have a .490" mold, and have tried several combos. What I really need to do is cut down some brass To allow rounds with the oversize balls to chamber. When they are sized .477" they just don't shoot that well. Certainly a potential for a fun no recoil load, but I've been spoiled by the 480's accuracy, so haven't found a load up to what I expect from the gun.

I finally got a chance to try Lil gun and the Lee 400 gr cast together. I seated the bullets to the rear canalure, and used CCI 350 primers. I was shooting at 25 yds, iron sights. I tried six different charge weights, charges under 21 gr weren't accurate, and velocties were inconsistant.

The best load looks like 21 gr for 1200 fps. Three shots in one hole, and the other two opened up the group to 2+". I don't think I was shooting that consistantly, but figure the 3 in one big hole show the loads potential.

I also loaded 22 gr which produced 1235 fps mildly sticky extraction, and 22.5 gr which produced 1270 fps and sticky extraction, though also 3 shots in one hole, and others opening up the group.

I think 21 gr is a prudent maximum, plenty accurate, and I don't think an extra 50-70 fps is going to kill things any deader. Then again, 21 gr H110 will produce the same velocity and accuracy. The recoil pulses between the two powders are also noteably different.

I did recieve some 350 gr cast bullets that I'm anxious to try with Lil gun, seems like a better bullet weight for the powder. I should also try some of my 310 gr's as well.

I compared the 350 gr I recieved to the Lee bullet, and one could easily shorten the Lee mold to drop a 350 gr two lube groove bullet. One could also cut down the mold to make a single lube groove 300 gr bullets.

275 swc, 310 LFN, 400 XLFN, 460 WFN.

I've been doing load work on the 275 swc lately, and am starting to dial in an accurate load. The goal of this bullets design was to produce good accuracy at lower velocities. So far I'm getting it to shoot pretty well at 800-850 fps. The 275 is a pretty faithful scaled up version of the classic Elmer Keith swc design. Once I get a good load for it I'll post it.

Also a note, Lee now makes a 325 gr gc mold, and if the base of the mold is milled to remove the gas check shank, it produces a 275 gr bullet. I was given samples of both, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. The 325 gr gc should be easy to drive to 1500 fps.

Edit, got back from the range with some more tests of the 275 swc. It looks like ~11 gr of blue dot is a good load, tad over 1" at 25 yds for 5 shots and based on previous chronoing I'd estimated they're running right around 1000 fps.

Just a quick update, I tried some more loads with the 275 gr, and it looks like 13 gr of blue dot is a good load ~1000 fps and clusters them right in there.

At the moment I'm down to the 275 gr swc, 400 gr lee and 400 gr xlfn molds. They seem to cover most of my needs. Somehow I misplaced the 310 gr lfn 4 cavity ballisticast mold, that one pains me as it was an outstandingly accurate bullet and a very expensive mold. One of these days I'll likely get a wild hair and have mountain molds make me a cylinder filling xwfn 440 gr mold.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info.
    Paul, LOTS of good data there, should save me some time!
    I'll probably end up with the 40gr mold from Lee for the time being, but I really like the look of the 400 XLFN too.

My 480 came today so it's time to start playing!!!
    Vance in AK.

I'm new on the site. I live in East Tennessee at the present time, but I'm moving to Juneau in about April of 2010.
    I've been reading quite a bit on this forum about which caliber handguns "Alaskan's" carry.
    I've noticed the usual debate over calibers, and brands. One thing that stood out was the talk about recoil.
    The Ruger 480 with it's less violent recoil; and power with "Big Bullets"; interest me. I 've owned several 44 mags ( love 'em), and I've owned a 454 in the past, but I'm 62 years old, and while recoil has never bothered me much before (and still doesn't) as I get older it could become more of an issue.
    What I've noticed in here is, those who actually own the Ruger 480 seem to love 'em.........and, uh, it will stop a big bear if I do my part, and place the shot.....right???? (I've never been face to face with a four legged, hairy, bulldozer before)

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a Ruger 480, it's 7.5" Super Redhawk, gray stainless. It's priced at $600.00 for the gun and four boxes Hornady 325 gr. ammo.

Does anyone have any input about that price, and the gun choice?????

I'm also going to look at a 450 Marlin......can't decide between the 450, and the 45-70.........help???

Default 480 Ruger

Hi ya Vance

Think I have a bunch of brass and bullets you can have.
    Doctor here shot a 10'2" Brown bear a number of years ago with one at 12 feet. As I recall he was using 325 gr lead bullets and double shot the bear through both front shoulders. Said one shot was all that was needed but at that range, he wanted to be sure.

Neal

Emerald Island,
    The info about the doctor taking the 10'2" Brown bear told me what I needed to know.
    The biggest bears I've had to deal with back here were 450 to 500 lb black bears. Totally different creature....from what I've read in this forum.
    Thanks,
    LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Island View Post
    Hi ya Vance

Think I have a bunch of brass and bullets you can have.
    Doctor here shot a 10'2" Brown bear a number of years ago with one at 12 feet. As I recall he was using 325 gr lead bullets and double shot the bear through both front shoulders. Said one shot was all that was needed but at that range, he wanted to be sure.

Neal
    Hey Neal!

Thanks for the input. I remembered your story about the doctor when I was thinking of this gun & it helped in the decision making proccess.
    I'll be glad to take the brass & bullets you want to part with. Many THANKS!!!
    I don't know if you still have my address.
    Vance Wonser
    PO Box 176
    Kenai, AK 99611

By the way, tell Lisa congrats on the buffalo!
    How's the deer hunting going?

IC335, Welcome to the forum & I hope your move goes well.
    Obviously I like your handgun choice since it's the same one I just made
    As far as price goes, that's probably not bad. It would be hard to find anything on GUN Broker cheaper if yours is really nice. There were a couple of new ones for around $550 (might have been +shipping) but your ammo is probably worth $100 (would be here)
    As far as the 450/45-70 dilema, I can help you there too
    I have an 1895M (the blue Guide Gun in 450) that I love. I put a DRC large loop& tridder, XS Ghostring peeps with protective wings on rear, XS scout mount, & Burris 2.75x scout scope in Weigand QR rings on it, & in my opinion it is probably one of the most practical guns in Alaska.
    That said, if you handload you can make the 45-70 do anything the 450 will do. I went 450 because I already had dies & components & I found a good deal on the gun. I would probably go with whichever one I got the best deal on. By the way, there's a "ford/Chevy" type debate on ported barrels in the guide guns. For the record mine is ported & I prefer them that way!
    Vance in AK.

Vance,
    Thanks for the info.
    I really appreciate all the info I can get from everyone up there, it is a great help.
    I passed on that revolver. It wasn't in very good shape, especially for that price, and he showed up with only a partial box of ammo......I would have been more likely to make him an offer if he not misrepresented the gun......honesty means everything to me.

I have a line on another 480 just up the highway from me. This boy says he has the ammo, and the gun is like new. I think I can get the gun with ammo for about $500.00 - $550.00....I guess I'll find out.

Today I placed an order for a Marlin 45-70....$500.50 new. I have located a Marlin 450 for $550.00, but I was told by someone at a gun shop in Juneau that they had more ammo for the 45-70.....I'll go that route until I can get set up for reloading.

I want a 480 (big bullets) but I also ordered a 454, I like the versitility of it. Plus....it's hard to know from down here in Tennessee which ammo I can get, and which is the most scarce.

I was set up fairly well here. I'm gonna sell three rifles, and two .357 mags before I leave here; along with a bunch of ammo........this is like starting over, and I'm having to guess as to what I'll need.

With the guns I'm buying for the move I will also bring along a rifled slug gun, and an older Reminton 30-06. The Remington has a Nikon scope, Timeny trigger, and is floated, and bedded........it holds an excellent group at two hundered yards.

I intend to buy some ammo ( big, hard cast, flat nose) and bring it with me, I'm gonna try to manage several boxes for each caliber.
    I've dealt with big, angry, black bear*....... but I can't even imagine what a grizzly or a big brown must be like.
    * I lived right next to The Great Smokey Mountains national park.....had all kinds of call about bears.

I am a certified gun nut, and I love to fish. I am looking forward to living in Alaska.......most guys retire, and move to warmer climates.......not me , I gotta do things different.

Again I want to thank ya'll for the info.....I need all the help I can get, this is big move for an old man.

IC335, sounds like you'll do just fine up here & nobody can fault you firearms choices. You will indeed be well setup!
    Vance in AK.

Vance I ended up going with a 460 S&W at a really low price. The versitility of that gun is what sold me.......that and the fact that it was less than half what a new one would be.
    The guy down here with the second 480 I looked at is a really nice guy, and his gun is like new.
    He has the revolver, and 4 boxes of shells; 325 gr. Hornady; for $600.00....if ya know anyone interested let me know I'll put them in touch with him.........I may still want it, but I've got to look at the cost of moving.

Default 480 Ruger

Vance:

Looking for the stuff. Have moved from the other place since we last spoke.

Here is a good read from near where Vance lives.

hangup with overpenetration

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Friends,
    Have I got a story for you guys!King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walkingmy dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!). For therecord, this is in a residential area末not back in the woods, nobow hunting, no stealth occurring...I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie,ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; nowoof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what youthink or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
    About one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the generaldirection, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I wasshooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on thelast shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired myfirst shot!It was a prehistoric old boar末no teeth, no fat末weighing between 900-1000 lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-itspaw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It's always some other smuck, Right? Well, no bull- I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot. Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked foran hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
    Conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put thatfeeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (andsome "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed todraw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total
    Luck shot!All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave thewife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRYto get some sleep now!
    Talk to ya soon, -Greg

.................ok, that does it!!!!!! Anybody gotta M79 grenade launcher with a shoulder holster for sale?????

WOW, what a story.

.........other guys retire and, move to the beach.....but that's dangerous.........what with all the bikini's, sand, surf, and sunshine.

..........oh no, not me.........I'm moving to Alaska; where the wildlife will have ya for a snack......"yipes".

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Island View Post
    Vance:

Looking for the stuff. Have moved from the other place since we last spoke.

Thanks Neal, I really appreciate it.

You definetly have to keep your eyes open. For the last several years in our area the 1st prson of the year to get chewed on is always a jogger. May not be a healthy activity!!
    Vance in AK.

Sorry to keep jumpin' into this thread, but having never been to Alaska, and making the move up there........I'm dealing with a ton of unknowns.....need all the help I can get about guns for the Juneau area.

I like the idea behind the Ruger 480, but I still have questions........about all I do have are question.

Thought I had an S&W 460V bought, the deal fell through.....lookin' back on it.....I'm glad it did.

I have found a Ruger 480 7.5 inch barrel length (gun looks new), scope rings,target gray stainless steel finish, "four boxes of hornady cartridges 325 gr @ 1350 fps at muzzle".....(I'm thinkin' the ammo is probably useless up there...except for the brass)

I think I can get the revolver, and ammo for about $500- $550.

Question.......does that sound like a good price?? .......and if ya could have only one revovler for awhile (the move is EXPENSIVE) would the Ruger 480 be your choice????

I made it my choice for a hunting revolver. I think I'm really going to like it. I like the gun & the more I look at the cartridge the more I like it. No buyer's remorse here.
    The price seems pretty good. I had about $500 in mine in the box with rings (almost like new. Light line around cylinder, 1 small (pin head size) blemish in the finish) buy the time I got it here & payed my FFL his $20. Felt I got a good deal.
    I'm a S&W fan, but to be honest with you if you gave me the choice between a 460 S&W & the 7.5" SRH in 480 I'd take the Ruger.
    Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast