Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 inch Caribou/200 inch Dall....is he out there?

Default 500 inch Caribou/200 inch Dall....is he out there?

I've thought of this possibility for a few years now, but was wondering others thoughts on this.

Think he's out there? What species would it be?

Current records are as follow:

Barren Ground: 477

Quebec-Lab: 474 6/8

Mountain Caribou: 453

I doubt the other two species recognized by the Boone and Crockett club have the gumption to make it. The percentage increases arent that large, but the Barren ground would have to make up ANOTHER 23 inches!!

On another note, what about a 200 inch Dall?

Current record: 189 6/8

Default I dont..

Know for sure but I intend to start looking for them again next fall..
    I really do think that for the most part all current standings can and will be broken with time.The old boys are out there and just in some real nasty areas or maybe own a "cloaking device"??

Angry

On the Dall Ram....YES. I have seen him and a few of his cousins. But he lives in a Park. You know the one Carter created with the help of our "Representatives".

Of all the caribou I have seen, if one is to be the new record, it would likely have to come from the Alaska Penn.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

what about woodland caribou? those are what live on kenai peninsula, and they say the biggest trophy bull caribou in the world live there.

Release Lake Trout

Worlds record woodland is only 419 5/8 right now...less likely...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    what about woodland caribou? those are what live on kenai peninsula, and they say the biggest trophy bull caribou in the world live there.
    I didn't know this. Learn something new every day.

well i think it would only be that way because of the remoteness of the hunt and how limited it is. the killey river herd really took a hard blow a few back years...almost the whole herd got swept and killed in an avalanche near the headwaters of the killey river

Release Lake Trout

I thought the Kenai Mountains caribou were transplanted from the Nelchina basin. Were the other caribou on the Peninsula brought in from elsewhere?

All of the Kenai Pen. caribou came from the Nelchina herd.

They may well already exist. In someones attic, or crawlspace. Remember there are Alaskans who are 88/92 years old, who's prime hunting years were in the late 1930's and 1940's. Some of these Alaskans have not moved in 60 years, maybe 70 years. Who knows what they harvested 70 years ago.

For example: Some place I have a box of Mt. Goat Horns, that were in the attic of Mr. Carters shop, he was a taxidermist in Hope, Alaska back in the pre-statehood days. Another example: About 1977 I was buying a rifle from a Old Guy who lived out off of Patterson St. someplace near Muldoon & Tudor. He had the rifle in the garage on the work bench, but under the work bench and up on top of stuff was maybe 25 or 30 Dall Sheep horns. And half were massive. He did not seem to want to talk about the sheep horns, just said it was from long ago, from him & his dad & uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    They may well already exist. In someones attic, or crawlspace. Remember there are Alaskans who are 88/92 years old, who's prime hunting years were in the late 1930's and 1940's. Some of these Alaskans have not moved in 60 years, maybe 70 years. Who knows what they harvested 70 years ago.

For example: Some place I have a box of Mt. Goat Horns, that were in the attic of Mr. Carters shop, he was a taxidermist in Hope, Alaska back in the pre-statehood days. Another example: About 1977 I was buying a rifle from a Old Guy who lived out off of Patterson St. someplace near Muldoon & Tudor. He had the rifle in the garage on the work bench, but under the work bench and up on top of stuff was maybe 25 or 30 Dall Sheep horns. And half were massive. He did not seem to want to talk about the sheep horns, just said it was from long ago, from him & his dad & uncle.

I've noticed that in many western states the local old timers take great pride in harvesting huge animals (see...ya don't gotta have no wazoo big rifle with one of them fancy scopes...) and then throwing the antlers away as a sign of disrespect to city slickers. They have varying degrees to which they practice this but it's pretty common. I think many record deer, elk and sheep have been tossed.

The most coveted big game head in Boone & Crockett, the #1 stone sheep, was shot by the camp cook as it passed by camp and later fished out of the trash by a dude hunter.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default Chadwick

Are you talking about the Chadwick Ram?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Are you talking about the Chadwick Ram?

Yep...that's the one. Only sheep in the book with horns over 50".
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default big sheep

I talked to an old timer who hunted the park in the 60's and he said they found an old sheep horn in a pile of horns. He couldn't remember how long it was but it was massive. They rough scored it at over 100 points and it was very old and weathered. This guy is not full of BS either.

I'd toss 'em, as I do......unless they could be cut up into something good.....

But there still potential....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Record Sheep

Other than within the boundaries of the Wrangells..I would say the next world record is going to come from the far Northeast Brooks Range....theres one runnin' around there.

Theres another, that someone took a picture of from Kluane National Park some years back in the Yukon, and hasn't been seen in the last few years.

well i think it would only be that way because of the remoteness of the hunt and how limited it is. the killey river herd really took a hard blow a few back years...almost the whole herd got swept and killed in an avalanche near the headwaters of the killey river
    I saw a bruiser in there in 2008. I already had a full tag or I would have had 400+ head to measure. I don't know about a 500 but with the difficult access and limited permits eventually one could come out of there. I'll be sending off for another chance at one these before the 31st.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

So ya think a 500 incher would be a barren ground or a Quebec-lab? My bet is on the barren ground...

I wouldn't doubt that a 500 incher has already been taken and just not recognized/recorded by B&C....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Now wouldn't THAT be funny....

go through Stangers bone pile and come to find out the top 35 slots are held by the same guy....(insert big grin here !#$#$# four image rule) what would be the point after that eh?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I'd toss 'em, as I do......unless they could be cut up into something good.....

But there still potential....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think there is a way better chance of a 500 " Bou than a 200" Dall .

DED

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast