Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 40XBR

Default Remington 40XBR

Well my 10 year old step daughter just received a Remington 40XBR chambered in .308 (7.62 NATO) from my father in law.

I dont know a whole lot about this rifle other than it is worth some money and is extremely accurate. I have done a little research on it and belive it has a 2oz trigger pull. I was hoping to search the serial number and find out more, but cannot find a website that will search that. Should I just write Remington???

Anybody with advice or experience with this rifle or a website for a serial number search would be appreciated.
    -Caleb-

Default Date of manufacturer

Check the letter codes on the barrel - I don't have a link here but it should be easy to find. It is also in the back of a lot of reference books like the Blue Book of Gun Values. Basically the month is the firrst of two or three letters that work off the code "BlackpowderX" corresponding to the the numerials 1 thru 12. For the year they started with the letter A in 1954 and that corresponds to the second or third letter. For instance "RR" would be Nov. of 1968.

Most of the ones I've seen from the 60's have a SS barrel and blued receiver - I don't know what they did after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Killer View Post
    Well my 10 year old step daughter just received a Remington 40XBR chambered in .308 (7.62 NATO) from my father in law.

I dont know a whole lot about this rifle other than it is worth some money and is extremely accurate. I have done a little research on it and belive it has a 2oz trigger pull. I was hoping to search the serial number and find out more, but cannot find a website that will search that. Should I just write Remington???

Anybody with advice or experience with this rifle or a website for a serial number search would be appreciated.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They are basically a model 700 short action assembled and finished in the custom shop at Remington. The differences are slight, just more care and a better barrel/stock and trigger are used. All parts, including the trigger, are interchangable with the 700.

They tend to be very accurate and have a good reputation, hence the high value. It was a nice gift on your FILs part.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default Thanks for the info.

I will have to get the rifle in my hands to look it over some more. All I have to go off of are some pictures that my wife sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Check the letter codes on the barrel - I don't have a link here but it should be easy to find. It is also in the back of a lot of reference books like the Blue Book of Gun Values. Basically the month is the firrst of two or three letters that work off the code "BlackpowderX" corresponding to the the numerials 1 thru 12. For the year they started with the letter A in 1954 and that corresponds to the second or third letter. For instance "RR" would be Nov. of 1968.

Most of the ones I've seen from the 60's have a SS barrel and blued receiver - I don't know what they did after that.
    -Caleb-

Default 2 ounce trigger usually means a Jewell or equal trigger

I like hearing that the girl received such a nice rifle. I just thought I would mention that most triggers can't be safely set to such a low trigger pull weight. The Jewell trigger and a couple of less well known aftermarket triggers can be set up for the 2 ounce pull. Those trigger assemblies cost at least $200 plus installation. A trigger pull like that makes for a real significant reduction in group size.

There are a lot of people shooting competitively with the .308, so load data for accuracy is easily found on the internet. That Model 40 may prove to be a really enjoyable rifle for her (and for you, too). It's pretty fun making little ragged holes in targets at distances 100 yards and up.

Good Shooting To You Both!
    Jim

Default 2 oz. trigger on 40X

Remington actually offered a 2 oz. trigger as a $20 option on the 40X. This is from a 1971 catalog. The stainless barrel and the repeater model each were also $20 options. List price of the gun with standard barrel and no sights was $235 while the 700 BDL listed at $160 in standard calibers.

Kinda fun to look back at the old catalogs and the prices of the time and then remember what salary you were making at that time. I think I was making about $5- $6 an hour at the time - not bad pay - so the 2 oz trigger alone would have cost me about half a days pay!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    I like hearing that the girl received such a nice rifle. I just thought I would mention that most triggers can't be safely set to such a low trigger pull weight. The Jewell trigger and a couple of less well known aftermarket triggers can be set up for the 2 ounce pull. Those trigger assemblies cost at least $200 plus installation. A trigger pull like that makes for a real significant reduction in group size.

There are a lot of people shooting competitively with the .308, so load data for accuracy is easily found on the internet. That Model 40 may prove to be a really enjoyable rifle for her (and for you, too). It's pretty fun making little ragged holes in targets at distances 100 yards and up.

Good Shooting To You Both!
    Jim
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Smile Remington 40x Trigger Pull

I have a Remington 40x heavy barrel in 22/250 and a Remington Feild Service Manual, acording to the manual it is adjusted to 3-3 1/2 LBS at the factory. Read through the adjustment procedure and there is no actual figure for minimum pull. For dating your Remington rifle from years 1921-72 go to http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.php Don't know what year your daughters is but this may help.... A handy little quick reference sight. Enjoy........

The last remington 40-x I ordered was a repeater. At that time the 2 oz trigger option was only available on the single shot model. Mine is adjusted from the factory at 2 lbs. trigger pull.

Default makes sense

The catalog I referenced didn't state that the 2oz. trigger was only avalaible on the single shot but it only make sense. Trying to rapid fire a repeater in a high power match with a 2 oz. trigger could only lead to bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    The last remington 40-x I ordered was a repeater. At that time the 2 oz trigger option was only available on the single shot model. Mine is adjusted from the factory at 2 lbs. trigger pull.

Default Made it home

Well I finally made it home and fondeled the rifle last night. The trigger pull on this rifle I am sure it is the 2oz model, single shot with a safety. From what I read the single shot did not come with a safety. not sure on that one. There isnt anything stamped on the barrel of this rifle, as far as code when it was made. Thanks for all of the information.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Last edited by Noble Killer; 11-26-2009 at 13:31. Reason: add more
    -Caleb-

Default Remington 40-X Barrel Adress

I am curious about your barrel adress and proof stamps on the 40X barrel.....Mine has a surprizing lack of information on it.......On the left 22/250x on the right an oval with a REP in it and a small triangle with a dot in it and a t and a 4 it also has 4 screw plugged holes for sights or a Unertl scope block system.......With the lack of a typical Remington barrel adress, how can i be sure its a factory barrel? Thank You For Your Time

Good news. Another fine rifle safe and warm.

I don't know what your experience is with extremely light triggers but if you haven't handled them much and you can feel it before it goes off it's probably not a 2oz. I've noticed most guys can't tell the difference between 2oz and 10oz without some practice.

Older 40-X triggers with the external adjustment screws could readily be set down to around 12oz and still be reliable but not in any kind of hunting situation where you carried a loaded round in the barrel or relied on the safety.

I don't remember for sure but I think you are correct, factory 40-X 2oz triggers have no safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    I am curious about your barrel adress and proof stamps on the 40X barrel.....Mine has a surprizing lack of information on it.......On the left 22/250x on the right an oval with a REP in it and a small triangle with a dot in it and a t and a 4 it also has 4 screw plugged holes for sights or a Unertl scope block system.......With the lack of a typical Remington barrel adress, how can i be sure its a factory barrel? Thank You For Your Time

Remington 700 barrels are/were hammer forged and roll marked at the factory. 40-Xs are built in the custom shop with a button rifled barrel and were stamped with a proof mark, (REP) and caliber but not roll marked with the name, address, etc., at least that's the way it used to be, not sure what they currently do.

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    Remington 700 barrels are/were hammer forged and roll marked at the factory. 40-Xs are built in the custom shop with a button rifled barrel and were stamped with a proof mark, (REP) and caliber but not roll marked with the name, address, etc., at least that's the way it used to be, not sure what they currently do.
    Thats how my barrel is marked. No address etc. Caliber marked on the left. Proofmark on the right.

I read somewhere that they did'nt put anything extra on the barrels of the 40X to minimize metal fatigue. I do not have any external trigger adjustments on this rifle. It may not be the 2oz trigger, but it is definately a light one. I e-mailed Remington, I will see what they have to say, after the holiday weekend of course.

-Caleb-

If it doesn't have external adjustment then it's not a Reminton factory 40-X trigger, could be aftermarket. Can you post a pic of it?

Default Pictures

If it doesn't have external adjustment then it's not a Reminton factory 40-X trigger, could be aftermarket. Can you post a pic of it?
    Here are some pics, I dont know how to put them on here where you dont have to click on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Caleb-

Default More pictures

It has a 20" barrel
    -Caleb-

Nice looking rifle.

Looks like a factory trigger, and it could be the 2oz., it's different from my 40-XBs with standard 40-X triggers. See the adj. screw in the trigger shoe? 700s don't have that.

What are the barrel markings? Does it look like a factory barrel? Let us know how it shoots, it's probably a hammer.

Default Barrel markings

What are the barrel markings? Does it look like a factory barrel? Let us know how it shoots, it's probably a hammer.
    Left side has 7.62 NATO Right side has a triangle with what looks like a "T" on it's side and (R.E.P.)

The stock is wood, hard to tell from the pics.

The Father in Law is ex Army Ranger (Vietnam Era) he said this rifle is highly accurate out to 6-700 yards. I should call him up and ask him a little more about this rifle.
    -Caleb-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast