Thread: Apex Anvil review

Default Apex Anvil review

Well i finaly took the plunge and bought a new vise. I just tied a some flies on my new Apex Anvil and i must say i am in love with it. It grips hooks so well you could bend even a heavy hook in half. This vise is built like a tank to say the least. Its a beast that will allow you to tie even the smallest of flies with finesse. The rotary function is great and though i dont use it like a rotary vise its great to be able to rotate to check your fly or add a dab of glue. The cam is very forgiving for hook size. It does not require a lot of tweeking between different hook sizes. It came with a base that is sturdy and solid as well as a C clamp. I can tell i just bought a vise my kids wont wear out after i am gone. I got it for 70.00 from flyfishing dicounters on line. they were outstanding to work with!! I also found a place to buy my supplies online. the prices are great and service was world class. Overall i would rate it a solid 9.5 I could not be more pleased. ITs also made in the USA!!

Default 9.5?

O.K. Being that I am sometimes a half-empty kind of guy, I have to ask; why the 9.5? What's keeping it from being a 10?

Scottsum
    I asked myself that question when i was doing the review. The only reason i did not give it a 10 is i am sure a more seasoned fly tier would find something not prefect about it. Its not a 400.00 Dyanking and such so i am sure there is something it lacks but for me its perfect. Now i need to spend some time on it and learn how to tie.

well I think being you are the person doing the evaluation...you give it the score you feel it deserves...not what someone else feels it deserves.

Anvil makes a sweet vise. I think you saved yourself some money and headache buying the Apex. In my opinion, the Apex is every bit a $250 vise when you figure in the pedestal base and "C" clamp. Also check out their Ice Tempered tying scissors. They are very good and priced right too!

I have been tying on the anvil for a year now. And I love It! the small jaws allowed me to tie flies w/ size 30 hooks. Though ive seen the dynaking and would love to have 1 the Commander in Chief says HELL NO!! So my thoughts are left to dreams about it.AHHHHHHHHH...... O sorry i was dreaming the anvil I love
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    I have been tying on the anvil for a year now. And I love It! the small jaws allowed me to tie flies w/ size 30 hooks. Though ive seen the dynaking and would love to have 1 the Commander in Chief says HELL NO!! So my thoughts are left to dreams about it.AHHHHHHHHH...... O sorry i was dreaming the anvil I love
    steve
    My vise never sees anything smaller than 16's! The fish might like 'em, but my eyes don't! Welcome aboard Steve!