Thread: Coyote With Mange

Default Coyote With Mange

I shot a coyote about 45 miles south of Delta Junction yesterday. It was about -25 so I didn't waste time getting it to the truck. This morning I was preparing to skin it and notice what I suspect is a slgiht case of mange. The under fur on the back just behind the hackles is matted and there appears to be a clump of skin tissue pulled up. I saw no open sores, but then again I'm not that wild about digging further. I heard at one time the Kenai wolves had it. This is my first encounter with it. Even if I had discovered this in the field I still would have removed the carcass as I don't want to spread the disease to anything that eats it. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this here in Alaska. I am posting this in the hunting forum as well, sorry for the duplication. Thanks.
    PC gag in place.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    I shot a coyote about 45 miles south of Delta Junction yesterday. It was about -25 so I didn't waste time getting it to the truck. This morning I was preparing to skin it and notice what I suspect is a slgiht case of mange. The under fur on the back just behind the hackles is matted and there appears to be a clump of skin tissue pulled up. I saw no open sores, but then again I'm not that wild about digging further. I heard at one time the Kenai wolves had it. This is my first encounter with it. Even if I had discovered this in the field I still would have removed the carcass as I don't want to spread the disease to anything that eats it. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this here in Alaska. I am posting this in the hunting forum as well, sorry for the duplication. Thanks.

actually sound more like the Lice the wolf are getting up here..

there was an extensive report on it at the Healy AC the other night

they are found in the shoulder area this time of year and smells really bad too. the adults will die off and leave eggs to hatch when it warms up and start over... my understanding is that most the wolves running unit 20 now are carrying lice and would not be a surprise to hear the yotes have it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I used to see quite a few foxes with something like that at a remote work camp that I worked at, I never got close enough to see if it was mange or lice.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I caught a wolf in Whittier one year when I was working there. It had a preety bad case of mange. Which is probably why I got in a 330 cubby.