Thread: Coyote With Mange

Default Coyote With Mange

I shot a coyote about 45 miles south of Delta Junction yesterday. It was about -25 so I didn't waste time getting it to the truck. This morning I was preparing to skin it and notice what I suspect is a slgiht case of mange. The under fur on the back just behind the hackles is matted and there appears to be a clump of skin tissue pulled up. I saw no open sores, but then again I'm not that wild about digging further. I heard at one time the Kenai wolves had it. This is my first encounter with it. Even if I had discovered this in the field I still would have removed the carcass as I don't want to spread the disease to anything that eats it. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this here in Alaska. I am posting this in the trapping and predator hunting forum as well, sorry for the duplication. Thanks.
    PC gag in place.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

just replied on your other thread two.. but it really sounds like lice. as it has come a problem in the wolf population also...

lice will be found in the shoulder area... the adults may die of in the cold but as soon as it warms they eggs will hatch. and start anew...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I do alot of trapping here in Kansas, and the coyotes in this country have been fighting mange for several years now. The ones that contact it will generally show signs early with a redish color taking over their bellys and between their back legs. I have seen them to the point where they are hairless. Mange is actually caused by a mite that bores under the skin. I have always disposed of the coyotes i have caught with fire to prevent it from spreading.

I got a couple like that a couple years back. They were real ugly, ended up in the burn pit. Not sure if it was mange or lice.

Pretty sure the Kenai lice are not the lice that causes mange. An animal with mange will have bare spots with no fur, and often scabs from the scratching.
    Once you see true mange, you won't forget it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the lice are alll the way up through 20A now... past denali and headed North..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lice and mange are two different bugs. If you handle an animal with mange don't touch any domestic animals as it is transferable. Mange will leave bare spots mainly around the tail area and the arm pits the most, as well as other areas.