Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brown bears

Default brown bears

Ok...money is no option...what is the best place to go brown bear hunting in the spring? Is kodiak over hunted? I have also looked into hinchinbrook and montague but talked to some locals out of Valdez and they said that the GI's have hunted them HARD!! Is king salmon out of the question as well? Have look in the old forums and can't really find a solid place to go. Thanks for all the info.!!!

Post Best place

Depends on what you mean by the "best",as in biggest hide size or skull size or bear density?,but i would say Gmu 9(Ak pen) or Kodiak Island is the top places for big brownies...

Default Brown Bears

Took my 9' 6" bear in the fall of 2004 South of Yakatat with Alsek River Lodge, Gary Gray. Great Hunt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

kodiak is great in the spring, better than the peninsula according to the numbers from fish and game and no its not over hunted, its a drawing so it can't be over hunted.
    cordova is putting out some big spring bears as well as yakutat area, Tsuiu River Alsek river area. and the peninsula does well to. but then again, every spring i seen nine foot plus bears up in the talkeetnas too.
    big bears are where you find them. not gonna say kodiak and go there and for sure have a shot at big bears.
    Bristol bay is a hot area for early spring bears, which are typically bigger than late spring bears and hides of course are better.
    bottom line, south half of alaska. but your probably not gonna get a big one unless you pick somewhere and go.
    be prepared for a couple trips if you dont' see a big one on the first trip! it happens.

Post They are where you find them

Its true,the big ones are where you find them!So you just have to look for them,with that said its problably a bigger chance of bagging one on kodiak or the Ak pen

interior bears might not taste like crap. Thats all you need to know.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Post ?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    interior bears might not taste like crap. Thats all you need to know.
    What is that suppose to mean?

Eat what you kill if you can. (Berry bear is pretty **** good)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default AK Pen

If $ is know object I would go with the Pen being the 1st choice & kodiak next. Both places offer great chances at big bears & hard hunts. However Kokdiak can be an easier hunt logistically & cost wise but if that is not a consideration I would look towards Cold bay or sand point area.
    Then again what are you looking for, sheer # of bears, big dark chocalate coat, chance of a monster vs more in the smaller size etc .....

Whats the appox cost of transportation to the penn for a do it yourself hunt?

Post I would not eat bear meat

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Eat what you kill if you can. (Berry bear is pretty **** good)
    I dont think bear is the best eating,bear meat can contain Trichinosis.Which can kill you!

Well, so can pork - which is why you have to cook it thoroughly. I really doubt that the threat of trichinosis is the reason that most don't eat bear. I haven't taken a brown bear, so I haven't tried that meat (and not sure that I want to), but a black bear that has been feeding on berries can be pretty tasty!

-Brian

Well i think you can eat bear meat,i think the bacteria die if you cook it properly.But there sure is alot better game meat

I've got an old Alaska cook book. IT has all kinds of recipes for Alaska Game. It does not hav a single black bear recipe but does have several grizzly recipes. Of course you can use those for black bears but I found it interesting. If you cook it thoroughly to a high temp, you will kill Trichinosis.
    Currently, I think the Peninsula does have the biggest bears but Kodiak bears are noty small, I'd go either place.

Ive only attempted to eat gris/brown bear once and it was shot up in the mountains it tasted like crap. Now black bear to me is the best thing going. Its the best pot roast you will ever have.

Default Edible bear meat

I have tried grizzly and brown bear meat from different area's around the state, interior being the most. Every one I tried tastes like crap!!!!! To the point of bring inedible, even berry bears.
    Now, Black bear meat is a completely different story. Some of it is as good as you can find. I have had an old boar or two that were a bit tough, but still were excellent table fare.
    I know of no one, except natives, that really eat griz meat........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

i've had some good grizz in late september on the berries, wasn't a fish bear much though, maybe a little in july but mostly berries. texture was stringy but the flavor was fine, i don't stock my freezer with it though.

Default Grizzly hunting

I say the best hunting with a good purpose for Grizzlies is up on the Denali Highway. This is not only a good bet to get a good bear, but a good way to thin down a huge population of these bad boys. And these aren't your fat, lazy coastal bears, these bears are built more like greyhounds, and are good eating. (as long as you can supplement with moose) Fella shot a 8' last fall in our camp, and the year before one was just short of 10'. I organize a trip every spring with friends during the Memorial Day week, and the hunting is great.

Default Big Bears

[QUOTE=Hilljack69;47162]Ok...money is no option...what is the best place to go brown bear hunting in the spring? Is kodiak over hunted?

Well I don`t know a lot about everywhere else but I do know the the South end of Kodiak Is. Aliulik Penisula or Deadman Bay is where I would go. Check the book. Monsters live here. Of course the the exclusive guides are probably booked years ahead but if $$$$ is no opition I`m sure the guides will talk. No rental cabins for resident hunters though

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I organize a trip every spring with friends during the Memorial Day week, and the hunting is great.
    You go that late, huh? Still decent hides (as in, no rubs)? I've thought about going in April on snowmachine, but it would be nice to give it a shot in late May on foot or via ATV is the hides were still decent. Dealing with the melting crust snow can be a pain in April.

-Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast