Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall Sheep Cape

Default Dall Sheep Cape

Unfortunately I screwed up this year's dall sheep cape and have been searching for a replacement cape with enough shoulder for a pedestal mount. I was wondering if anyone may have a cape or possibly may be going out on a late season subsistence hunt? You can reach me directly at: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu Thanks!

Default Ouch!

j.......
    I advise you to call a few of the larger taxidermist in AK.
    Generally, through their network of contacts, they end up with extra capes. Often, these capes are in really great condition. But do be prepared to pay for the best of the best.

And generally speaking, they would prefer to do the entire taxidermy job. See, they paid or "traded" top dollar to obtain top quality extra capes. So they are not making $$ unless they do the entire job.

dennis

www.taxidermy.net has a for sale and a wanted forum. I see dall capes there for same sometimes.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default craigslist

I think I saw one on the Anchorage Craigslist a few days ago for $700 green.

My taxi this year took great care of my cape and really went the extra mile to ensure it would tan well. He said one of his customers has been looking for a few years.

This is the second time I think I've seen you on here looking for a cape. I really hope you find one. Go ahead and post photos of those horns. I'd like to see what your wanting to get mounted.

I found 4 capes on the (taxidermy.net) link listed by martentrapper below.

One guy is nuts at $3000 the others are $750 and below. At least 3 claim to be long enough for a pedestal mount. They all seem to have some repairable damage, good luck.

What kind of situation are you in really?

This looks like you dude. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,176592.0.html

Are you selling and buying.

Are you in the business of marketing our wild Alaskan Sheep?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    What kind of situation are you in really?

This looks like you dude. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,176592.0.html

Are you selling and buying.

Are you in the business of marketing our wild Alaskan Sheep?

That is an interesting take on it... i think will wait to see where this goes......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This guy has one for sell on the swap and sell forum.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67653

Good Luck

Steve

Default Hmmmm~

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    Unfortunately I screwed up this year's dall sheep cape and have been searching for a replacement cape with enough shoulder for a pedestal mount. I was wondering if anyone may have a cape or possibly may be going out on a late season subsistence hunt? You can reach me directly at: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu Thanks!
    Looks as though you screwed up your cape by selling it! HMMMM

Default sheep capes

I have two tanned capes for sale. Not sure if long enough for a pedestal mount. I can measure if you can give me an approximate length.

Default Dall Sheep Cape

My head is kind of spinning from some of the posts! I posted several months ago when I returned from my AK sheep hunt on this forum as well as taxidermy.net. I ended up buying a cape from a guy and unfortunately it was too short for a pedestal mount. I was unable to return the cape to the guy I bought it from (he wouldn't reply to my emails or calls) so I ended up selling the cape for what I paid for it to a taxidermist.

Now I'm back to the drawing board looking for another cape. I've found a few but most either have problems with them (blood stained, damaged, too short, etc) or they are asking way more than I can afford.

I have contacted every Alaska taxidermist with a website on the internet and none seem to have any capes...or are asking about $1,000 for a shoulder pedestal mount cape...which seems insane!

I don't have a dall sheep mannikan in front of me so it is pretty impossible to know the exact measurements of what I need. The form I really like is on page 14 of the matuskataxidermy.com catalog; hoverever, it is a bighorn sheep form and will need to be altered to fit a dall sheep (change out head and thinned neck/body to fit a dall sheep cape. I like the s-shaped back on a pedestal mount and that adds 3 to 5" extra inches needed to the top of the back and shoulders.

I contacted one of the guys mentioned above and am in the process of getting more details about his cape. The guy in BC on taxidermy.net is asking about $700 for a couple capes that sound like they need major repair! He is asking outrageous $ for mediocre capes!

Eyakoutlet...I would like to get more details on the capes you have! You can email me directly at jseb@lamar.colostate.edu and maybe we can work something out!

Hopefully this answers a few questions and keeps the rumors from flying! If anyone happens to have a nice cape for $700 or less please let me know! I had an incredible dall sheep hunt and got a great ram....and look forward to the day when I can enjoy him on my wall! I hope the interigation is over?

Default Over

Let the hunt continue.............

The cape he sold he got from me. I think our wires got crossed I sent him an email after I returned from moose hunting stating I would take it back the next time I heard from him he had already sold it to one of the all time great baseball players. This was not his or my fault I do not have e-mail at home and I am away from a computer for several months each fall. He was very pleasent to deal with and the kind of man any of use would be lucky to share a camp with. I do not feel good that he thought I was avoiding him. I even had other people who wanted the cape if I got it back and next year I will be sure and save more cape if he is still looking for one.

Default Sheep cape

Just wondering out loud!!

Are there some who hunt Sheep and sell the capes to pay for the hunt? A Sheep is one of the best trophy to have on the wall. Sure, the meat is excellent but GEE don't these guys want the trophy?

Like I said, just wondering out loud.

I can only speak for myself I love to hunt sheep. I don't just shoot legal rams I like something special my ram this year was 12-13 year old double broomed. I did a European mount on him and he looks great. He was on his last leg he had no teath left and would have died already this winter if I would have not shot him. Plus my wife loves mounts but she also likes light and will not let me cover the windows with mounts. My partner and I looked over atleast 30 legal rams this year 5 or so of them will most likely die of old age this year. But the other 25 or so will be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Sure, the meat is excellent but GEE don't these guys want the trophy?
    Don't you guys know that TRUE hunters don't hunt for heads. Putting a head on the wall is a sign of vanity.............shame shame!!

Bighorse, is there something wrong with buying sheep parts from people who want to sell them.................and selling sheep parts to those who want to buy them??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post

Are there some who hunt Sheep and sell the capes to pay for the hunt? A Sheep is one of the best trophy to have on the wall. Sure, the meat is excellent but GEE don't these guys want the trophy?
    I'll be keeping a lifesize cape of most sheep I kill from now on to sell. I've already got a few on the wall, so I don't need more shoulder mounts. If I can make $1,000 or so off a lifesize cape, why not? It goes a long ways toward making hunting more affordable. I would still have the horns, the meat, and the memories.

Horse, Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm just glad the cape went to someone that could really use it! It was a fantastic cape with no holes, blood, or stains and I just wish it would have worked for my mount! I may take you up on your cape offer if I don't find one before next year!

I have a feeling dall sheep in Alaska may be like elk or muledeer here in Colorado? Once a hunter gets 1 or 2 great representative animals on their wall they may not need another one? I know my wife definitely feels that way! It's kind of nice to save the cape and offer it to someone else that can use it rather than letting it rot out in the field!

Default Sheep Capes

Yep, been selling my capes and hides for years. Getting between $1000-1500 for a life-sized and capes for $500. Pays for my trip every year and then some. I could never afford a shoulder mount every year. I have one and the rest look really nice as European mounts. It's a lot of extra work to carry out a whole hide but if your hike out is 10 hours long and you make a grand that's like making $100/Hr.

Default sales

This gentleman is obviously in need of a special cape and now I fully understand his situation. I'm sorry if I offended.

Selling Sheep capes and parts must be legal. Or are all these sales taking place on the side? Thats a question because I really don't know the answer. I know you can't sell bear parts.

It seems to me there could be a good profit margin for a guy to purchase capes from subsistence hunters and resale to trophy hunters.

I like the idea of funding my adventures with revenue from selling capes. I wonder how much I could get for nice fall Blacktail capes? So to answer your question MT....I guess if legal I like the thought of being able to sell capes to cover the costs of accessing and hunting remote locations.

BTW, horse, you must be one exceptional sheep hunter and have a great screen name to boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast