Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fairbanks bunny hunting

Default fairbanks bunny hunting

is it worth hunting bunnies at these temps. Went out yesterday and say alot of tracks just no bunnies. Any secrets to finding rabbits when the ground is snow covered. any helps appreciated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

believe it or not... early and late....

bunnys are nite time critters now...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I can never find the dang things either.

Default saw one

today at lunch. He gave me the slip. Little bugger. Next time I'll get him. I hope. Maybe.
    Found lots of tracks and spent 45 minutes walking in circles. Had given up and was headed to the truck don't you know, and then he runs past me.
    Oh well, I still had my PBJ sandwich.

Vince is right on; early and late! Alder and willow runs and spruce, early and late, unless you get lucky and move one out of its hiding spot.

I just got access to a .22 and I will be gettin a shotgun for xmas. Is it too late for hares around fairbanks/north pole? I would love to bag a few and do some teaching to my son. I havent hunted for hares at all in Alaska even though I have lived here for 9 years now. All my rabbit ventures were in the lower 48.

So questions would be is it too late?

If not, any suggestable areas?

Also would like to get onto some grouse or ptarmigan even tho I know they are eating the pine these days.

So areas for them as well if anyone knows of any?

Wolf...

For hare I'd go out along the dike and get right down into the alder runs. If you're in for a long drive you might want to try the flats around Donnally (sp) Dome just out of Delta.

Ptarmigan are mostly up high, above the treeline. If you don't have a good bird dog you might try using a good binocular to locate tracks and/or birds, and then make your approach.

Legs kill grouse and ptarmigan, so you're in for a long walk. Wear blaze orange so other hunters can see you. Have fun!

Jim

Smile

Thanks alot! I was thinkin of going out into the chena flood plane as I live extremely close to there. Pretty much walking distance. But if I get skunked there then I will check out the areas you mentioned. I will wait for the birds til after xmas before I got scoping them out. See how well the Benelli works... :-)

Also Jim, I hear you have a book on grouse... might I know the name of it? Thanks

Wolf,

The name of my book is "Upland Hunting in Alaska," and it's available right on this very web site!

While at the Chena flood project...you might want to check out the alder/willow thickets along the road on the south side of the bridge.

I don't hunt hare, but my dogs put out quite a few of them along the dike when I'm roading them for exercise.

Jim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wolf keep in mind also that our daylight is very limited this time of year and that your hunting times are actually mid day for game, the hair have had 14-16 hours of darkness to play in. they will run and feed all night and a napping when the sun comes up at 11 am and just thinking about eating again as it sets a few hours later at 2:30 ish... i have found snare lines are much better at gathering hare this time of year. they can be just as satisfying as actually shooting one, as it does take planning skill and patience to snare a bunny.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I wouldnt mind throwing some snares out there either but I have to be honest. I do not know a dang thing about it. I have never even tried or even looked into it for that matter. The closest I have come is watching survivorman on TV. Love that show btw.

Are there any decent books out there for that?

And thanks Jim, I will be picking myself up a copy of it.

Man, I hope a guy can somehow tell where a person's snare line is for the sake of my hunting dogs! I do everything I can to steer way clear of a persons trap line if I know where it is. Otherwise my dogs - my best friends - can end up dead. I do my best to only hunt the high country during winter, but that has presented some problems as well.

Just sayin'.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Man, I hope a guy can somehow tell where a person's snare line is for the sake of my hunting dogs! I do everything I can to steer way clear of a persons trap line if I know where it is. Otherwise my dogs - my best friends - can end up dead. I do my best to only hunt the high country during winter, but that has presented some problems as well.

Just sayin'.

Jim

I hear that. Makes me nervous at times to let the dogs flush for me in some places. Learn how to open a Conibear or you may just watch your dog expire. Wish all trappers would mark their sets.

well guys if your dogs get in mine... you've prolly already been shot by the wife for being in her yard

meet on face book here

This is twice that I've read on here about people who don't know how to open a conibear. Its the same concept as a spring trap, squeze the spring and pull it back to a square the other way.

That being said, They are made to break the neck or back for a quick death. I f you find an anmial , god help us its not your own alive in one, Put your fingers in the smallest part of the slit and try to seperate it as you squeze on the spring handle, it will open.

This took a rather sad turn. I would hate to have any dogs ever get caught in anything. I know it happens but dogs have a very solid place in my heart. I own a malamute (not a good hunter for sure).

Well I went to the south side of the bridge in Chena, did quite a bit of walking and didnt really see alot of ideal places for snares until I walked through a small clump of brush on the way back to the truck. Saw 2 dens and one highway. Will be setting some snares tomorrow. I did get 1 ruffie though. My son was with me and he had a good time with it. I taught him how to clean it and we are having it for dinner tonight.

I just ordered your book Jim. I got my Nova now I want to go find some ptarmigan. You mentioned they are up high this time of year. Without giving away any honey holes are there any decent spots within an hours drive of North Pole that will get me high enough? I dont mind walkin at all.

Wolf,

I sent you a PM. Thanks for buying my book! Hope you like it and it helps you out. Congrats on the gun for Christmas!

Jim

I walked up Moose Creek near North Pole yesterday about a mile or so I think. I didn't see any bunnies but I saw a lot of tracks and poop. From what I know about snares there looked to be a lot of good places to set them up. Lots of bunny trails going through constricted areas. On a side note, not all ice is safe even this time of year. I broke through and went in up to my waist soaking my whole lower body and turning my rifle into a block of ice. Luckily it was only waist deep, and my car was only about a mile away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast