Thread: Moving to Eielson

Default Moving to Eielson

First off...I'm scared to death of this move. Even more so after reading some of the horror stories of breaking down and other difficulties. There has to be some good (besides the scenery) right? My husband has waited almost 8 years for these orders and I still have yet to come to terms with it. I'm trying!

I have tons of questions...

We are moving next year, the earliest we can leave is April 16th. We are leaving from Little Rock, Arkansas.

I've seen some of you mention not to do a Uhaul, instead use pallets? What companies do this? Is it more cost efficient than using Uhaul. We've also looked in Pods (which are terribly expensive) and at ABF which is a moving company that does it for you. I would be happy with the military hiring someone to do this for us, but my "wonderful" husband is determined to make money off of this. Another question on hauling. As far as two vehicles go, should we pull one or would driving both up be better? I'm sure we could ship one (not sure how that would work though).

What is the best way to go? I have mapped it on mapquest and it has us going into Canada at the North Dakota border. I changed the route to driving across the US and going up at the Washington border, but it adds about 14 hours of travel time. I'm concerned with how the roads are going to be through Canada vs going across to Washington.

As far as vehicles go, do we have to have the big 4x4 diesel trucks? He has a Dodge 1500 (not 4x4), and I have a van. I know they will need to be winterized, but after that will they actually make it? We are both from Kentucky, so we know nothing about "real" snowfall or cold weather for that matter. As far as winterizing, do we need that done before we come up? Is it still cold in April that we would need it? Special tires? (I'm a worrier, sorry ).

I'm really afraid I am going to hate it! I hate cold. I hate the winters here in Arkansas (I wanted to go to Florida). I'm really trying to be positive about it because I know he has always wanted to go to Alaska. Then I can rub it in his face later and make him take me to Hawaii.

the only way he's gonna make money off the move is to do a partial DITY move. they take the big stuff you take the little stuff. April is good, breakup time, still gonna be scary, but studded tires and a loaded truck might be the ticket. bring a camera and have fun. remember to send the weapons with the movers. and document everything they move. We ended up with 3500 in breakages moving out of Alaska and we never saw the reimbursement due to the paperwork and logistical nightmare.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    the only way he's gonna make money off the move is to do a partial DITY move. they take the big stuff you take the little stuff. April is good, breakup time, still gonna be scary, but studded tires and a loaded truck might be the ticket. bring a camera and have fun. remember to send the weapons with the movers. and document everything they move. We ended up with 3500 in breakages moving out of Alaska and we never saw the reimbursement due to the paperwork and logistical nightmare.
    He works in TMO, he's been calculating this for years. I'm just along for the ride I suppose.

As far as future moves go, do you have USAA? You should definitely look into their renters insurance. It covers your household items, so if the military won't cover it, they should (as far as I know). I've heard many nightmare stories of movers and am a bit skeptical of using them. I dread if we ever get sent overseas.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Na!!!! yr gonna love it.......

the colds great.. we can dress for the cold... and look at the bright side...

after leaving here... you can wear what you want and Hubby will be arrested for dressing for the heat!!!!

Cool things about the cold... toss a hot cup of coffee in the air at -40... it freezes before it hits the ground..

hillbilly in the car in front of you hawks one out the window.....
    it froze to his beard on the way by, and he wont know untill he walks into the grocery store and it drips in front of the coffee gal......and she tries not to barf on him....

you can take cool pics at -50 in February.. .and send them home.... proving to all the non belivers...

in fact here is one from just last winter!!!! we love it up here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile Eielson

Ive been here for about 5 years and love it. I waited 10 years for this assignment. My wife worried about all the same things and now she never wants to leave. This is base has a small town feel. The summers make it worth dealing with the winters. As far the trip up.You said your husband is tmo so he should know how to make some cash. lots of folks leaving here are doing well using companies that charge you by the sq/ft rather than weight.You pack your own trailer and they haul it away for you. Ship firearms with carrier. Canada charges $50 for 4 guns. As for winterizing your vehicles i wouldnt worry about it in april. You will have the summer to figure out what you need to do to your vehicles. Its a great assignment ,good schools, family oriented community. Any questions just ask. Good luck on the move. Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

after leaving here... you can wear what you want and Hubby will be arrested for dressing for the heat!!!!

Cool things about the cold... toss a hot cup of coffee in the air at -40... it freezes before it hits the ground..

it froze to his beard on the way by, and he wont know untill he walks into the grocery store and it drips in front of the coffee gal......and she tries not to barf on him....

you can take cool pics at -50 in February.. .and send them home.... proving to all the non belivers...

Wow Vince, I'm sure that helps her confidence level.

Default Saving on move

Ship any books up throught the US mail - use the media rate. BIG savings over any other option. Check out the current rates at www.usps.gov

Ship very heavy dense items like small tools and metal parts up by flat rate priority mail boxes. I moved up again five years ago with a weight limit and shipped all my lead bullets and lead bricks up that way. The post man was just shy of cursing me as he had to carry a bunch of 69 lb. boxes from the truck to the front door but the shipping was less than $.15 a pound.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Wow Vince, I'm sure that helps her confidence level.
    Yeah I shivered just LOOKING at the picture!

Talking -50 and below

Theres no shivering at those temps. your body just locks up! Hillbilly

LOL, are you scared yet?

Seriously, there's no more beautiful place on earth in my opinion. Look at the bright side - even if you decide you don't like it, it doesn't have to be permanent, so just make up your mind to get the most out of your Alaska experience and get out there and see it, when the weather permits.

It's much colder up there around Eielson than where I'm stationed at Ft. Rich, next to Anchorage. It gets warmer up there in the summer though too. You'll see about 90 degrees.

Like the others said, the truck with a load and decent tires will be fine, but you might want to trade it in for a 4X4 before the next winter. As for your van, if it's a front-wheel-drive model, put some studded tires on it for the winter and it will do just fine.

I think you would be better off shipping the van and riding with your husband in the truck. Since you are already nervous about the trip, I think you'd be more comfortable riding with him.

One more work of caution - Once you get north of the more populated part of Canada, gas stations get scarce. I would advise you to carry extra fuel - at least one or two 5-gallon cans, and never pass an open gas station unless your tank is full. Top off every chance you get. Some people make it through with no fuel issues, but in a full-size truck with a thirsty V8, it's better to be prepared.

Lastly, enjoy the trip! Plan well and it will be something you will remember fondly for the rest of your life. Welcome to Alaska!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Two and a half years ago I got my dream orders to AK. We left Keesler in Biloxi, MS after nearly 12 years of fun in the sun. I threw the wife and kids (twin two year olds at the time) and began our 4200 mile drive with an over loaded 24 foot enclosed trailer (partial DITY). Rule #1 this will be the drive of a lifetime-enjoy it! Do not worry about how fast you get to AK, it will still be here but if ya'll push too hard your vehicle and family may may not be. Rule #2 They call it Destruction Bay for a reason. Rule #3 SLOW down for frost heaves. #4 DO NOT head out without a copy of The Milepost-this will be your best friend. #5 The ALCAN is everything you have heard it can be which is absolutely awesome. #6 AK ROCKS!!-ENJOY IT!! Before you know it the orders will be over and the rest of your life you will be telling everyone about how great Alaska is. In 4200 miles I cut one trailer tire and broke a trailer hitch-not bad for how many miles and how much weight I was pulling. Plan your stops and take time to sight see along the way. BTW we crossed into Canada through North Portal, ND after staying the previous night at Minot.

Default Like everyone else said!

My family and I made the trip last year from Arizona. 1st stop was to San Diego to drop off my wife truck... Then on up I-5 to Oregon thru washington. I suggest you get the book Mileposts great book it talks about the two routes into Canada to take the ALCAN... I was pulling a trailer with all our 4 wheelers and other stuff we did a partial Ditty move... I have a Diesel I had 7 5 gallon cans full. As said already don;t pass up a gas station fill up when possible. My wife 1st year was hard she was used to sunny Arizona you know winter time you can do whatever in Alaska well when it is 25 below you are limited to what you can do, and to top it off she fell on ice broke her arm which only added to the her misery but now she is on her second winter and she is starting to really enjoy Alaska, she knows what to do and what not to do in the winter... The ALCAN is a good road no real problems for us... I do recommend if you can stick to a time table is to make reservations at motels in towns you plan on staying the night in... Also I would recommned shipping one vehicle as well, thier is no way in Hell I would do that trip with two vehicles... Your husband probably needs to realize and you need to let him know you are starting to get a little stressed my wife was really stressing so I'm glad I let the Army move my stuff except for the stuff we pulled on a trailer. I can only imagine what the out come would of been if it was up to us to pack a container. She was constantly worried what about this, so he probably needs to put aside lets make a boat load of money off this and worry about you and your family getting to Alasak safely. I would go to the nearest dealership trade the truck in and get a 4x4 and call it a day as well. I have realized a long time ago you will not make any money on the goverment time.

My ideal DITY is a 28 foot enclosed car hauler behind my 3/4 ton GMC, and then the largest UHaul (26 ft?) pulling a car hauler from UHaul. I bought 22,000lbs up from NY in 2006 this way. I also did a full UHaul and Pickup from MT to Fairbanks in 2002 (13,000lbs) and a partial DITY Anchorage to NY in DEC 04 pulling 11,000lbs of trailer. Contact transportation at you base and they will have the container plan figured out but I just saw the largest U Haul pulling their largest trailer check in on Fort Richardson yesterday, so yes believe it or not you can drive to Alaska, April has got to be better than DEC on average. Years back (in 2004 and prior) you did not receive much incentive for a DITY move, yes you could make money but it came with extra sweat, time and resources (a good pickup), but since they changed the replacement cost settlements and shipper transportation fees have continued to rise a person can do well again if you want to commit the time, effort, and logistics of a DITY. Just ask transportation what you will get paid for a full move, even some of the container charges at 15K will leave you with a nice profit for your efforts I guess that is why they call it Do It Yourself, and remember even if you move your own house hold goods the government and tax payer will save money as you will only be reimbursed 95% of what they will pay a shipper, so you should sleep better at night knowing you did your part to help the economy ;-)

Post i did this years ago...

got a "new 2 me' 73 chevy pic up in seatte and drove it back to fbks in feb...hit the border north of evertt wa , at 11am thurs morin...drove/ sleep in truck got to fbks at 300am sunday morin... i always figered it was 1500miles...well its 1500 from dawson creek...the look on my face after driving as far as i did ,counting down the miles..just to see a sign in d.c. CA say 1500 to go ... ouch...i drove the indan way ...drive -sleep -drive... in the dakotas they make some trailers..the 2 axel type and a rail around 14" or so high.. u pay next to nothing for the trailer in the states..then drag it up here and sell it off and make a few $$ and pay for your trip... i did kind of the same things only i got 7 new/used 5 hp outboards at in agreat "deal"..sold them off that spring and payed for my trip(airfare,gas and 1/3 the price i payed for the truck!). Vince..i 2 took that pic of "freds 62 BELOW" and it hangs in the back office..i worked "there"13 years......after that i fixed the sensor (sorry 8..less)
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
    He works in TMO, he's been calculating this for years. I'm just along for the ride I suppose.

As far as future moves go, do you have USAA? You should definitely look into their renters insurance. It covers your household items, so if the military won't cover it, they should (as far as I know). I've heard many nightmare stories of movers and am a bit skeptical of using them. I dread if we ever get sent overseas.
    For the Army guys Alaska is considered a overseas tour... So in theory you are going overseas... I can honestly say only one thing was damaged on our move... If I could do it all over again I would do it with a 25-29 foot camp trailer... The whole drive was something else if I could I would retire in the Yukon territory Around White Horse or around Ft. St. John B.C that is some beautiful country...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

You have got nothing on TOK.....I went through there 2 years ago when it was a good 15-20 degrees colder than the -62. But dang, both are really cold. One thing for sure: you interior guys and gals really are tough