Thread: Predator Hunting

Default Predator Hunting

Ok...so I have been out a few times with no luck. Could it be the warm weather? Hunted once at night and once during the day. At night we sat for about 45 mins and called for about 2 minutes and sat for 10 and would call for 2 minutes and so on...We would sit in open fields and clearings. Also sat around a frozen over lake with cover. Is night hunting the way to go or should we steer more towards daylight? If night is the way to go then would midnight-3:00 a.m do or say just after sun down? Any pointers would be great. Thanks!!

Default Where you calling?

I've had my best luck at first light, but I have had animals respond at all times during the days. The coyotes I've called in this year have been real wary, not coming straight in to the calls. Could be they are worried about running into wolves. I can't imagine that they'd cross an open lake. Now we are getting more snow that should make them show up better and be hungrier. Pretty quick it will be time to hit the beaches. Keep at it. This isn't Texas and I only get animals to show up about every 6-8 stands.

I have not hunted up your way with calling, but here in WA I do best at night. No moon or little moon nights are best for me. I call a little more often than you stated. I call for about 1.5 to 2 minutes and pause for about 2 or 3 then start the sequence again. I target cats mostly, so I stay on stand for an hour each set. When yote or fox calling, I move if nothing has come in for 30 minutes but sometimes wait for 45 before moving. If nothing is coming in at your sets, don't get discouraged, it does not mean you are calling wrong, it just means there are no hungry critters where you are calling :0)
    I don't know your regs pertaining to using lights, but here we use lights with red lense in it. Keep the light on during the whole time and keep sweeping, once you see eyes hold the light above them so just the body and eyes show. If you turn your light on and off it will show your location and they will bust you when the light goes out. They can see real well at night, that is why they are out and about. If you keep the light off them and shine above, they can't see you and don't spook. Direct light will spook a yote every time.
    Keep at it, its fun and exciting once you call them in at night.

Smile Predators

It is best to hunt on cold nights or really cold mornings, predators tend to move more frequently when it is cold, it is best to hunt in the evenings 3 days before full moon and 3 days after full moon. Morning is good but most coyotes tend to hunt at night. I would recommend to try a locator call. It would be like an invitation to invite other coyotes in. A standard rabbit in distress call is also good, I think that this is probably what you are using, I would call in a 2 to 3 minute sequence and pause for about 2 and start again. If you are using a mouth call you can alter the sound and pitch of your call from mild call to a more aggressive call. The most important part about calling predators is SCENT!!! I have had coyotes come directly in to a call and catch scent and be gone before you even know it. What I have done is a buddy of mine has some rabbits, so I would take strips an old white tee shirt and stick it in the rabbit pens so the rabbits could piss and **** all over it. The first scent a predator looks for when coming into a distress call is the smell of blood or feces. If you are after fox in my experience a fox will come in hard and fast within the first couple of minutes of calling. There are different strategies for the different types of predators you are hunting, I can go on for awhile, if I can give you any advice I will. From my experiences

Default Fox and Lynx...

Thanks for all the good info...it really helps!! I am after fox and lynx for the most part. Would a decoy be a good call at night set up next to the call? I am using an FX3 by Foxpro and am looking into picking up the Foxpro Jack-in-the-Box Predator Decoy. Is snow camo and concealment important at night or does the darkness work in your favor? Are fields and such a good call for fox and lynx or do they need a mix of covor and open spaces? I guess what I am asking, are lynx scared to move across open spaces or do they stick to the brush? All the sets I guess are good learning!! THnaks again

I have not called for lynx, but I take 15 to 20 Bobcat here in WA a year by calling. All cats are called at night, decoy does work but in my opinion, not needed for a night hunt. I have best luck like I said on the no moon and little moon, compared to a full. I have tried several times under full moon and never seem to see a thing, not even a rat.lol. Thats just my experience. Cats are curious and easily distracted, so call more often with less pauses, they come to the call, but you have to keep their attention or they will get side tracked. Check out predator masters web page. If you cant find the page pm me for it. They are nothing but a calling forum and they have 1000's of members and pros on there. They have a night calling section I think will help to answer any questions you have.

Oh, camo, yes needed. Like I said, they can see a mouse 100 yards away in the dark, what do they think when they see you?
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Does anybody know where to pick up lights by light force? I hear they are good!! I cant find them on cabelas and I dont think you can order on the L.F website. Thanks again for all the info. really helps alot!!!

Default All Out

i was just reading a post on predator masters and Rick from Tough Lights was saying they are all out of the night hunters 140/170 untill 15 of january.But you should still give them a call to see if there are any other dealers.

Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS