Thread: Instruction in Soldotna/Kenai

Default Instruction in Soldotna/Kenai

How about instruction in the Soldotna/Kenai area? Anyone with 1st hand experience with Alaska Flying Network (Kenai)? There website is nice, but appears under construction. There contact email wasn't functioning last time I tried it.

Default Soldotna

A friend of mine did some training with Dean Eicholz in Soldotna and was very impressed. I have no experience with him though.
    Good Luck

My impression, which could be wrong, is that Dean sold the Alaska Flying Network business. Not sure who runs it now, or if Dean still does basic instruction.

Examiner Dean Eichholtz used to own Alaska flying network years ago.
    He then sold it to Master Instructor Chip Vershaw who shut it down over the last year or so. For some bizarre reason Chip did not sell it as a business, but instead sold everything off piece meal...He now flies part 135 and 121 stuff.

Dean still does some instruction and he is a FAA designated examiner. I use him for check-rides for my clients. Dean also runs the Falcon aviation insurance office in Soldotna.

Some of the guys who used to work for Chip still do some instructing.

PLUS::: Missionary Aviation Repair Center at the Soldotna airport (MARC in the phone book) used to do instruction as well and they may still do so.

Dean would know who to use in the Kenai or Soldotna areas.

If you were closer to Homer, we could do something from here...

Do you have your own plane or will you be a renter? I guess if you had your own, (how I did it many years ago) then you could do it with somebody further away, like Homer since much of the time is required solo flight...hmmmm
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I got my ticket from dean at the alaska flying network back when he owned it. Chip has closed it down. call dean he will know.

If you have your own plane then there are many options. No plane, MARC is about it.

I'll check MARC out then. I'd feel funny about buying a plane before even getting a license. Well... I'd do it, but wifey might not like the idea!
    Thanks for the information.

Many years ago......

I started to get my license on several occasions. In high school, in college, while in the Navy, the Army and so on....

I put a bunch of money into it while renting and never finished because of other bills or because of *Female Asset Diversion Syndrome*.

**(A strange syndrome afflicting certain women in which any amount of funds spent by the male for pleasurable activities such as flying, boating , hunting, or shooting, must be then be doubled and spent at the whim of the afflicted female in order to punish the male partner.)

So eventually I had more than enough hours spread out over many years, but no license.

Then one day the voices in my head said, take all the money you can find and buy a plane... So I did... (a $18,000 beater that looked like hell but flew like a dream) then I finished my license and had many, many, cool adventures.

My ex-wife hated that, and she hated my plane like it was another woman,,, One more reason she is an ex-wife.

However

My current lovely bride of the last 10 years went in half on our first plane together. And the second and third planes.

Before you do go crazy and buy a plane,,,,

1. Get about 4 to 6 hours of instruction to see if you really like it that much.
    2. Get a student pilot flight physical to make sure you can pass.
    3. Check out one of the many computer sites for the practice FAA written exam, to make sure the written test is something you will really finish.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I am a flight instructor in the Soldotna/kenai Area. But I don't have a plane. I have five students at this time but they all have there own plane or access to one. If i can help send an email. Steveguides@hotmail.com