Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning lessons...

Default Learning lessons...

I have allways liked to have the best "stuff" and was usually willing to hold out untill I could afford it. When I was stationed in Florida I really wanted a boat. I specifically wanted a nice 20' center consol walk around with a 115-130hp outboard and bimini top set up for fishing the bays. I spent four years in tampa and every day on the way home from work I would see all the rednecks with their beater skiffs out fishing and think what a bunch of junkers!! Well after 4 years I had onle been fishing a few times and I was leaving Tampa for the last time. As I drove over the Alafia river and saw all those rednecks fishing from their beater boats it occured to me that they had it right, and it was me that was off the mark!! I spent so much time trying to afford the sweet bay boat that I never got it and the whole times those guys were FISHING.
    It appears I didn't learn my lesson because I think I am doing the same on the Bow front I have been wanting to get back into archery for the last 2 years. I had my heart set on the Bowtech 101st but I could always either not afford it or there was something else that was needed more. Now 2 years later I don't even think they are making that bow anymore.
    So I guess what I should really do is buy a decent package deal and start actually SHOOTING! Then over time upgrade the components with the plan of eventually buying a new bow and then moving those components to it.
    That said I am curious what people have seen out there in good budget packages? I have a 30" draw and can pull 70lbs though I should probably drop back to 60-65 for a while to get my shoulder back in shape

Thanks!!

Default Mission

If you want to get into a very good bow for a decent price look at the Mission line that Mathews makes. They will get the job done and have the same warranty as Mathews. Bill at Backcountry sells a lot of them. My wife has one as does my uncle's wife - they shoot very nice. Of course for double the price you can get a bare Reezen or a bare Monster....I think that Linda's Mission was about 6 bills with everything set up on it, site, rest, loop, quiver......that would only buy you the riser on the top shelf bows........

Jon- A few years ago I was going through a dozen used bows a year. It was fun to try out new things. Guess what? Not one of those bows really shot better than another. The budget bows ($300-$500) range are all good. I haven't shot one yet that I didn't like. Right now I am shooting a Martin bow that didn't even exist in the retail market. Built it up with a riser, limbs and cams from three different Martin bows. It's a shooter and I love it.

Roger (from this board) just bought a fully equiped Mathews Switchback complete with arrows for $500 off of e-bay. It was brand new and in my opinion it may have never been shot..not a scratch on it. I haven't bought a new bow in 5 years. Every one of them have been used and not once have I ended up with a lemon. Used is the way to go.

With a 30" draw I would suggest getting a 50/60 lb bow. Your shoulders will thank you and you will shoot arrows just as fast as a 28" draw guy with the same bow shooting 70 lbs. I hunt everything with 60# and it's more than enough..and much easier on your shoulders.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Jon
    If you have any interest in going more traditional I have several bows you can shoot anytime, just let me know.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You can find some great deals on top-of-the-line, barely used bows on Ebay. It always amazes me how many guys buy the year's new model, shoot it for one season, and sell it as soon as the season is over and buy the next newer model. But, you can make that work to your advantage and get some really great bows with less than a few hundred shots through them (or as AKDoug pointed out - zero shots through them).

As far as packages (assuming you mean bow, arrow rest, sight, etc all included) I can't really recommend one over the other. Most "budget packages" come with a simple 3 or 5-pin sight and prong or whisker biscuit rest. Seems these are the features folks change immediately after acquring a package bow as they have their own preferences as to which style of arrow rest (prong, drop away, capture style) or sight (multiple pin vs. single pin) they like best. That might be where you're better off finding a good deal on a bare bow, then customizing it with the style of rest, sight, etc that you like to give yourself a truly customized package. Just like bows, you can find some great deals on sights and rests on Ebay.

Good luck.

AKDoug is speaking the truth. This time, anyway! Hah! No need for a new bow if you are just getting back into it, but then again you won't get warranty, etc. with a used bow.

Talk to someone you trust, who is also knowledgable. Have him line you out with what to look for and go to the ArcheryTalk.com classifieds. You'll find it there.

Be ready to pull the trigger, though. They move fast on that site. I've never been burned yet on there!

Taylor

-[]------->

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    AKDoug is speaking the truth. This time, anyway! Hah! No need for a new bow if you are just getting back into it, but then again you won't get warranty, etc. with a used bow.

Talk to someone you trust, who is also knowledgable. Have him line you out with what to look for and go to the ArcheryTalk.com classifieds. You'll find it there.

Be ready to pull the trigger, though. They move fast on that site. I've never been burned yet on there!

Taylor

-[]------->
    Roger that!! Thats were I got my brand new bow for a drastically discounted price. Last years bows that didn't sell in the current year are also marked down pretty good. ArcheryTalk.com can be dangerous to your bank account though. And you thought I was bad Jon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Jon-
    Roger (from this board) just bought a fully equiped Mathews Switchback complete with arrows for $500 off of e-bay. It was brand new and in my opinion it may have never been shot..not a scratch on it.
    Yep now I'm just waiting on a certain someone to help me set it up
    Also just bought a hard arrow case with a dozen new Beman arrows for $60 Gotta love ebay.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Year-end discounts from local shop too...

along with other value advice.

Some risk that they won't have your size (draw) and small sacrifices no doubt that it might not be THE bow you dreamt about. But like AkDoug says, the differences between top gear often grow small too. Your whole point is the big picture.

Advantages: local shop helps you shoot, tune, accessorize your bow.

Good luck.
    Hey, isn't it end-of-year time...now? Christmas coming and all...

I'd second looking at archerytalk.com classifieds and if you want a 101st airborne you can get one there. If nothing turns up locally archerytalk.com is a great resource.

Default spend them money, it won't hurt

I empathize w/ your problem. I've done the same thing. I've shopped until I wore out a pair of shoes, and still came away with nothing. Spending money seems to be a problem for me. If I worry too much, I end up not doing it.
    A lot of older bows still shoot better than all of us do. Mechanically they are sound and will shoot an arrow quite nicely. I know one old guy still shoots his old Darton, and manages to kill something with it every year.
    Wonder why our mind set to buy new archery gadgets is different than buying firearms? I buy guns cause I like em. I buy archery gear cause I think I need them. Hmm.
    Del Demeritt, of old Fox Sports Den in Fairbanks, had some Hoyt bows that he had not sold when he shut the store down. Dell is in Palmer now. Not sure what he did with the gear. I assume what he has may still be in Fairbanks. He would be a great source of info if you can find him. Those Hoyts will still perform as good as anything selling today.
    Pretty much any machined riser bow (ususally lighter), coupled with a quality rest, and a 3 pin site will take you where you want to go. If I had a chance to buy a used 5 pin top of the line for the same price as a new 3 pin I might do that too.
    Go spend the money. You'll be ok. If you need counseling later we'll all be there for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have allways liked to have the best "stuff" and was usually willing to hold out untill I could afford it. When I was stationed in Florida I really wanted a boat. I specifically wanted a nice 20' center consol walk around with a 115-130hp outboard and bimini top set up for fishing the bays. I spent four years in tampa and every day on the way home from work I would see all the rednecks with their beater skiffs out fishing and think what a bunch of junkers!! Well after 4 years I had onle been fishing a few times and I was leaving Tampa for the last time. As I drove over the Alafia river and saw all those rednecks fishing from their beater boats it occured to me that they had it right, and it was me that was off the mark!! I spent so much time trying to afford the sweet bay boat that I never got it and the whole times those guys were FISHING.
    It appears I didn't learn my lesson because I think I am doing the same on the Bow front I have been wanting to get back into archery for the last 2 years. I had my heart set on the Bowtech 101st but I could always either not afford it or there was something else that was needed more. Now 2 years later I don't even think they are making that bow anymore.
    So I guess what I should really do is buy a decent package deal and start actually SHOOTING! Then over time upgrade the components with the plan of eventually buying a new bow and then moving those components to it.
    That said I am curious what people have seen out there in good budget packages? I have a 30" draw and can pull 70lbs though I should probably drop back to 60-65 for a while to get my shoulder back in shape

Thanks!!
    The 2010 Bowtech bows are out! While they may not the same 101st, I suspect they have similar style bow with similar specs. I was surfing their new line, and looks like they have some nice, newer model bows, and 3rd generation center pivot technology. I had my first bow kill this fall with my Bowtech Guardian. While I would love to get a new one, I'd better kill a few more animals with my Guardian before I get a new one. However, the first bow kill greases the skids with the War Dept on a new bow purchase.

Dude there is a 101st on AT I just saw! Has 29" draw, either package or bare bow for $475!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Dude there is a 101st on AT I just saw! Has 29" draw, either package or bare bow for $475!
    Not so sure that a 29" draw is enough for Gigantor over there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Not so sure that a 29" draw is enough for Gigantor over there.

hook the wrist strap around his elbow.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Trade

I could trade you for that B.C. I have a parker pheonix 34 in 29" draw, sportsmans can get a different cam for ya. Maxes out at 60+#, new limbs needed to get over that. Currently it is all decked out and would come with a dozen victory v6 arrows with blazer vanes. Good sights, nap quick tune rest, D loop, peep sight, tru ball release, 8" stabilizer, 5 arrow quick detach quiver, and has passed clean through two moose! Over $1100 invested.

Other wise will post for it for sale here and take it to the gun show next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I could trade you for that B.C. I have a parker pheonix 34 in 29" draw, sportsmans can get a different cam for ya. Maxes out at 60+#, new limbs needed to get over that. Currently it is all decked out and would come with a dozen victory v6 arrows with blazer vanes. Good sights, nap quick tune rest, D loop, peep sight, tru ball release, 8" stabilizer, 5 arrow quick detach quiver, and has passed clean through two moose! Over $1100 invested.

Other wise will post for it for sale here and take it to the gun show next weekend.
    Sorry I missed your call earlier, my phone spent a big chunk of the day sitting in the back charging since I forgot to do it last night.
    I think the trade sounds like something we can work out! I also have a big HEAVY above work bench stainless cabinet with z strips to hang it on the wall that I wouldn't mind throwing in if you were interested in it too.

Here is a link to one on ebay that is similar. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...Ap_4tgPXtajACQ

When you get a chance give me a call back, I will be up for a couple more hours tonight and available all day tomorrow.

Just a little fyi on the guys that trade off for new bows every year. I had several friends that were tourny shooters. Their bow sponsers would sell them the next years model an extreme discount. I was able to get in on some of these deals being there taxidermist. The cost were about 1/3. So at the end of the year they would sell it, pocket a few houndred bucks and still be able to buy the newest models before they were even out yet.
    It was a pretty sweet deal

Well I got one in trade today. Now I just have to learn how to use it. <grin>

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I got one in trade today. Now I just have to learn how to use it. <grin>
    Jon your time and money ahead to go get a few lessons at the range... sure you can draw a bow but having some one that TEACHES IT and can step back and LOOK at your form and watch you release and follow through, for a little bit will Greatly improve your over all consistency.

good luck.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast