Thread: Pac Boot Recommendations for Extreme Cold

Default Pac Boot Recommendations for Extreme Cold

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for Pac Boots. These will be my tree stand and ground blind boot for December through February here in Maine. The Temperatures I will be hunting in (Remaining completely Still for the most part) are any where from 30 F to -20 F plus wind chill (Especially when night hunting coyotes).
    I have my eyes set on two and my Dad has recommended a different one.

I am hoping to get feedback on the boots I want, the Boots my Dad Recommended, and the ones that you recommend for temperatures leaning towards the Sub Zero more often than not.

My first Choice is the LaCrosse RT Hardwoods HD 2000G Hunting Pac Boot.
    My Second Choice is the Cabelas Inferno 2000G Pac Boot.
    My Dad's Recommendation is the Husqvarna loggers Rubber Boot. I personally think that if I ever needed to hike in the boots he thinks I should get that it would be horrible and I think they only come in Bright Orange and possibly Green.
    If anyone has any recommendations for the best Hunting Pac Boot that is EXTREMELY WARM I would love your advice.
    Many Thanks,
    Tyson

No experience with very cold weather boots. But have had heard good things about Kenetrek pac boots. They are out of MT.

http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-0428-6K

If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default GO to Cabelas

and order a pair of the predator winter boots. They are MONEY down to however cold you can handle. Have used them forever and just upgraded each time. Current pair is about 5 years old. Had them out when it was -60 and no issues. There is a place on the take out bootie where you can put a heat pack if needed. It will be the best $139.00 you spend! The are on sale right now.

Default Link to cabelas predator extremes

Default .02

I own the cabelas predators and they are nice (very), but for the money (and you ARE talking about just setting) I would buy a set of bunny boots off of ebay. GI's in Fairbanks been wearing them for decades. Plus if you get into overflow you'll appreciate waterproof boots. AND if you go into your knees, you can wipe them dry inside and get them back on quick and not lose a foot. If the conditions are unknown (snowmachine/icefish/skiplane) I take the bunny boots.

Default AK hunt

I agree with you if you are dealing with water. Nothing better than a bunny boot when wet.

Default Bunnies

Bunnie boots are the only way to go, they aren't the most comfortable boot ever but they just plain work.

One tip for making bunny boots more comfortable, and warmer...is to buy them a size too large and put a felt insole in the bottom. Makes a big difference, imo.

I agree they are the best especially when dealing with overflow, etc.

LaCross Icemans.
    Now what ?

I favor a set of Baffin's I bought a few years back. They have tall uppers (go nearly to my knees) and are 100% waterproof top to bottom, rated to -100F. I've worn them in -40 with no problems with cold toes. I love those boots. Their only downside is they are a bit on the bulky/heavy side. I use them riding sleds and like that I can get off in the overflow without getting wet feet if I have to.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Smile Went with the Husqvarna Rubber Pac Boots

Thanks for all of your posts and help...After extensive research and than taking my Dad's boots out for a test run I went for it. I got the Husqvarna Rubber Pac Boots with Lace on the Upper Back with the 1/4" Wool Insert. They are Bright Orange but I am going to give them an Awesome Camo Paint job in the next couple of days! I will post pics if anyone is interested.
    My Dad has had his for 11- 12 years and they still look brand new, plus they are chainsaw resistant, because that is what they are made for so I know that I won't do any real damage to them...I mean his boots look brand new...It is CRAZY!
    They are Extremely Warm Pac boots and they are an almost indestructible rubber boot. I got the best of everything I wanted IMO. They are not that heavy so I can hike in them, they are extremely warm, They are extremely Tuff, and they are rubber so they are water proof and the only kind of boot that is 100% scent proof! WIN - WIN - BIG WIN!
    Thanks Again for all of your help...I did a lot of research, but after touching his, it was game over.
    Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by tyson129 View Post
    Thanks for all of your posts and help...After extensive research and than taking my Dad's boots out for a test run I went for it. I got the Husqvarna Rubber Pac Boots with Lace on the Upper Back with the 1/4" Wool Insert. They are Bright Orange but I am going to give them an Awesome Camo Paint job in the next couple of days! I will post pics if anyone is interested.
    My Dad has had his for 11- 12 years and they still look brand new, plus they are chainsaw resistant, because that is what they are made for so I know that I won't do any real damage to them...I mean his boots look brand new...It is CRAZY!
    They are Extremely Warm Pac boots and they are an almost indestructible rubber boot. I got the best of everything I wanted IMO. They are not that heavy so I can hike in them, they are extremely warm, They are extremely Tuff, and they are rubber so they are water proof and the only kind of boot that is 100% scent proof! WIN - WIN - BIG WIN!
    Thanks Again for all of your help...I did a lot of research, but after touching his, it was game over.
    Tyson
    Not familiar with them but so long as you got something that is waterproof, high uppers and low temp rated, I'm sure you'll be fine. My biggest beef with many of the winter boots sold are that they have low uppers (just over the ankles) or they aren't water proof.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.