Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Best hunting pack

  1. #21
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Where can I find a Barney's around Fairbanks?
    I could be wrong, but I believe Barney's sport in Anchorage is the soul seller of thier packs.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Dang Joe, that thing looks more like an ATV trailer without the wheels than a pack frame. The dog even looks afraid of it.

    I'm sure it will get it done.

    Steve
    The pack works great for heavier loads, not so good for loads less than about 40 pounds. For big hides and moose REALLY works great. Longer rails make it much easier to find a rest spot (really good at finding those) and being able to tie the load according to the terrain is always a big plus.
    The dog was a once in life time dog. Sure miss her.
    Joe (Ak)

  3. #23
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    heres a pic of the barnys pack and a cabelas pack together last spring,,i would only buy the barnys pack,a client had the mistery ranch a couple of years aro on a sheep hunt great pack also,,
    That's a cool picture. What's the story? Looks like two brownies on one hunt?

  4. #24
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Kifaru Ultralight series packs: interesting, lightweight packs include KU5200, 5200 cu in under 3 pounds.
    Even with a couple of accessory pockets - would be a long ways from the 7+ pounds of many similar-capacity packs.
    https://kifaru.net/KU.html

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Barney's are the best for external frame packs, can't beat em. If your trying to budget, wait untill the spring outdoor show to order . If you get the combo frame and pack you get a discount plus an additional 10% off during the show. Its all a personal preference as to internal or external. Good luck in the hunt.

  6. #26
    Member stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Kifaru Ultralight series packs: interesting, lightweight packs include KU5200, 5200 cu in under 3 pounds.
    Even with a couple of accessory pockets - would be a long ways from the 7+ pounds of many similar-capacity packs.
    https://kifaru.net/KU.html
    Yep, I have a 5200 and an E&E on order, can't wait to try it out.

    The Baneys pack are awesome, I have used them a few times. They will just haul more than I can carry, so I go with the more comfortable internal frame. Can't beat an internal frame when you are trying to fight your way throught the alders.



    My huting buddy with his Barneys.





    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yep, I have a 5200 on order, can't wait to try it out.
    Got one on order as well Steve. Its for "my wife" to use while we are hunting and me to use while we are packrafting in the summer. I'll save 3 pounds over my current long distance packrafting trip pack and she will save 6.5 pounds over her current hunting pack. So its a win. Figure with her leg only post 10 months from the break 6.5 less pounds on her back wouldn't be a bad thing so the price was easily justified.

  8. #28
    Member stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Got one on order as well Steve. Its for "my wife" to use while we are hunting and me to use while we are packrafting in the summer. I'll save 3 pounds over my current long distance packrafting trip pack and she will save 6.5 pounds over her current hunting pack. So its a win. Figure with her leg only post 10 months from the break 6.5 less pounds on her back wouldn't be a bad thing so the price was easily justified.
    Can't wait to see Becca back in the game and sporting her new pack. Maybe we can can it bloody this spring and break in right...

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

  9. #29

    Default

    Good to hear Becca is on the mend and looking forward to spring!

    The best pack? One that's full of meat, at the end of a glorious fall day, with camp just over the ridgetop, and the anticipation of fresh backstrap and a warm sleeping bag to follow.

  10. #30
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yep, I have a 5200 and an E&E on order, can't wait to try it out.

    The Barneys pack are awesome, I have used them a few times. They will just haul more than I can carry, so I go with the more comfortable internal frame. Can't beat an internal frame when you are trying to fight your way throught the alders...

    Steve
    Steve,
    Just curious. Did your order accessory pockets - at least one long pocket?
    Thanks.
    Dwight/Eagle River

  11. #31
    Member stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Steve,
    Just curious. Did your order accessory pockets - at least one long pocket?
    Thanks.
    Dwight/Eagle River
    I got the grab-it, belt pouch and water carrier. To go with it.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

  12. #32

    Default

    I opt'd for the grab it as well.We'll see how it works. Steve, yes we'll have to see if we can get ol' gimpy on a bear this spring to get her back in the game in style

  13. #33
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    anchorage alaska
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I started off with a kifaru milatary pack used it a couple years found it to be too heavy. Switched over to a osprey 110 and tie a Crossfire freighter frame to that and still save weight. Did some some shopping around and found the Osprey and Wiggys cheaper than REI and bought the Crossfire there too. Have been using this system for 3 years now.

    GG

  14. #34
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I've been looking at the Stone Glacier packs for backcountry hunting. Wondering if anyone has experience with using them. I found a review on them, here, but wondering if they are as lightweight as they say. Would be nice to keep things light for hiking.

  15. #35

    Default

    I personally donít have any experience with stone glacier. The guys that I typically hunt with have used everything under the sun. A couple of them have switched to stone glacier packs for the adjustability and ability to control and secure the load. Last fall I was able to see how effective the pack was, and itís now on my to get list. I canít say that it was lighter or heavier compared to any of the other higher end packs, but when they work so much better Iím willing to sacrifice a few ounces for quality.

  16. #36
    Member Doug in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Barney's, but of course JMHO.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

  17. #37
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog365 View Post
    I've been looking at the Stone Glacier packs for backcountry hunting. Wondering if anyone has experience with using them. I found a review on them, here, but wondering if they are as lightweight as they say. Would be nice to keep things light for hiking.
    I haven't tried everything on the market, but after 20 years of using a Barney's pack, I picked up a Stone Glacier two years ago. I have been very pleased with it. I've carried out a number of animals with it, and I've been nothing but impressed. I haven't run a direct comparison against other high-end brands, but it is certainly a very well made pack. I'll be getting another one for my wife for this coming year.

  18. #38
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    Screenshot_20181214-155223_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    My Cabelas pack has hauled maybe 10-12 back bears. This load, guessed by three people is probably 100 pounds. Too much actually.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  19. #39
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    My Cabelas pack has hauled maybe 10-12 back bears. This load, guessed by three people is probably 100 pounds. Too much actually.
    No!!! couldn't be Dave...!!!

    Yep, and my old Camptrails has carried literally tons of meat too. If I remember I paid $100. for it like new, but used...lol. I "upgraded?" to an Alps meat hauler a few years ago and strap that old camptrails moose bag to it. Guess what?...that works too!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #40
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    No!!! couldn't be Dave...!!!

    Yep, and my old Camptrails has carried literally tons of meat too. If I remember I paid $100. for it like new, but used...lol. I "upgraded?" to an Alps meat hauler a few years ago and strap that old camptrails moose bag to it. Guess what?...that works too!
    I got mine on Ebay for $125 shipped to Alaska. The frame is the same as a Camp Trails, which is also a Eureka pack that I brought up here.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •