Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best hunting pack

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Where can I find a Barney's around Fairbanks?
    I could be wrong, but I believe Barney's sport in Anchorage is the soul seller of thier packs.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Dang Joe, that thing looks more like an ATV trailer without the wheels than a pack frame. The dog even looks afraid of it.

I'm sure it will get it done.

Steve
    The pack works great for heavier loads, not so good for loads less than about 40 pounds. For big hides and moose REALLY works great. Longer rails make it much easier to find a rest spot (really good at finding those) and being able to tie the load according to the terrain is always a big plus.
    The dog was a once in life time dog. Sure miss her.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    heres a pic of the barnys pack and a cabelas pack together last spring,,i would only buy the barnys pack,a client had the mistery ranch a couple of years aro on a sheep hunt great pack also,,
    That's a cool picture. What's the story? Looks like two brownies on one hunt?

Kifaru Ultralight series packs: interesting, lightweight packs include KU5200, 5200 cu in under 3 pounds.
    Even with a couple of accessory pockets - would be a long ways from the 7+ pounds of many similar-capacity packs.
    https://kifaru.net/KU.html

Barney's are the best for external frame packs, can't beat em. If your trying to budget, wait untill the spring outdoor show to order . If you get the combo frame and pack you get a discount plus an additional 10% off during the show. Its all a personal preference as to internal or external. Good luck in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Kifaru Ultralight series packs: interesting, lightweight packs include KU5200, 5200 cu in under 3 pounds.
    Even with a couple of accessory pockets - would be a long ways from the 7+ pounds of many similar-capacity packs.
    https://kifaru.net/KU.html
    Yep, I have a 5200 and an E&E on order, can't wait to try it out.

The Baneys pack are awesome, I have used them a few times. They will just haul more than I can carry, so I go with the more comfortable internal frame. Can't beat an internal frame when you are trying to fight your way throught the alders.

My huting buddy with his Barneys.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Yep, I have a 5200 on order, can't wait to try it out.
    Got one on order as well Steve. Its for "my wife" to use while we are hunting and me to use while we are packrafting in the summer. I'll save 3 pounds over my current long distance packrafting trip pack and she will save 6.5 pounds over her current hunting pack. So its a win. Figure with her leg only post 10 months from the break 6.5 less pounds on her back wouldn't be a bad thing so the price was easily justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Got one on order as well Steve. Its for "my wife" to use while we are hunting and me to use while we are packrafting in the summer. I'll save 3 pounds over my current long distance packrafting trip pack and she will save 6.5 pounds over her current hunting pack. So its a win. Figure with her leg only post 10 months from the break 6.5 less pounds on her back wouldn't be a bad thing so the price was easily justified.
    Can't wait to see Becca back in the game and sporting her new pack. Maybe we can can it bloody this spring and break in right...

Steve

Good to hear Becca is on the mend and looking forward to spring!

The best pack? One that's full of meat, at the end of a glorious fall day, with camp just over the ridgetop, and the anticipation of fresh backstrap and a warm sleeping bag to follow.

Yep, I have a 5200 and an E&E on order, can't wait to try it out.

The Barneys pack are awesome, I have used them a few times. They will just haul more than I can carry, so I go with the more comfortable internal frame. Can't beat an internal frame when you are trying to fight your way throught the alders...

Steve
    Steve,
    Just curious. Did your order accessory pockets - at least one long pocket?
    Thanks.
    Dwight/Eagle River

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Steve,
    Just curious. Did your order accessory pockets - at least one long pocket?
    Thanks.
    Dwight/Eagle River
    I got the grab-it, belt pouch and water carrier. To go with it.

Steve

I opt'd for the grab it as well.We'll see how it works. Steve, yes we'll have to see if we can get ol' gimpy on a bear this spring to get her back in the game in style

I started off with a kifaru milatary pack used it a couple years found it to be too heavy. Switched over to a osprey 110 and tie a Crossfire freighter frame to that and still save weight. Did some some shopping around and found the Osprey and Wiggys cheaper than REI and bought the Crossfire there too. Have been using this system for 3 years now.

GG

I've been looking at the Stone Glacier packs for backcountry hunting. Wondering if anyone has experience with using them. I found a review on them, here, but wondering if they are as lightweight as they say. Would be nice to keep things light for hiking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12